2015 Passat TDI Phase 2: Not Eligible??

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I may need some help from the experts here.

I purchased a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium back in November 2017 with 11k miles on it. It was a emissions buy-back vehicle. The original owner took the buyback. Phase 1 emissions modification was done by the dealer.

I didn't get any notification from VW via email or regular mail that regarding my 2015 being brought in for Phase 2 emissions modification yet. It was my understanding I had to go through the claims portal to initiate a claim to get recognized by VW that this car needs to go in for Phase 2. In reality, the portal gave me every indication that there was Phase 2 settlement money available for it too, and it had all the dates/mileage, etc., for when Phase 1 was done and said my vehicle could participate in Phase 2. When I completed the claim, about a week later, I got back that my claim was denied, my vehicle wasn't eligible.

So am I to understand that my vehicle doesn't quality to get the Phase 2 emissions modification made?

How are others who purchased a 2015 TDI from a buyback getting notified they can schedule their Phase 2 emissions modification?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Every vehicle is eligible for the emissions fix. You just may not get any money for it. If you bought it as a bought back vehicle I would imagine you aren't eligible for any money to get the fix done. VW isn't going to pay twice for the same vehicle. The web site is often wrong on things like this as it doesn't seem to be up to date. I would just check with your dealers service department on this. I have a new stop sale 2015 and am not eligible for any money either. I will get phase 2 done though as it is now seemingly available. I will just wait a while though till my next service is due.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I thought the claims portal was an instrument to notify VW that I own a vehicle that falls under the emissions claim and that it has outstanding fixes that still need to be made, and so they can notify me when those fixes are available for my particular vehicle. If the claims portal is only for claiming settlement money, then I shouldn't have used it. If dealers take walk-ins, that will work too. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand the benefit of the Phase 2 fix to me personally, as it would only extend the warranty on this particular vehicle about 12 additional months. With an incomplete fix, I would think getting the Phase 2 fix would be more beneficial to VW to meet their mandated quota of 85% (or whatever that number is) of vehicles either fixed under the CARB/EPA accepted fixes or removed from service - as Phase 1 only doesn't meet the CARB/EPA accepted fixes w/o Phase 2 and this vehicle is not removed from service. Maybe more of those who have purchased 2015 TDI's that had Phase 1 done but won't get restitution for Phase 2 should band together in not pursuing the Phase 2 fix to cause VW to think if they can risk not providing an incentive for these type of TDI owners.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
No, that's not it. Phase 1 meets the requirements, and Phase 2 ensures that it will continue to do so for the life of the car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I thought the claims portal was an instrument to notify VW that I own a vehicle that falls under the emissions claim and that it has outstanding fixes that still need to be made, and so they can notify me when those fixes are available for my particular vehicle. If the claims portal is only for claiming settlement money, then I shouldn't have used it. If dealers take walk-ins, that will work too. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand the benefit of the Phase 2 fix to me personally, as it would only extend the warranty on this particular vehicle about 12 additional months. With an incomplete fix, I would think getting the Phase 2 fix would be more beneficial to VW to meet their mandated quota of 85% (or whatever that number is) of vehicles either fixed under the CARB/EPA accepted fixes or removed from service - as Phase 1 only doesn't meet the CARB/EPA accepted fixes w/o Phase 2 and this vehicle is not removed from service. Maybe more of those who have purchased 2015 TDI's that had Phase 1 done but won't get restitution for Phase 2 should band together in not pursuing the Phase 2 fix to cause VW to think if they can risk not providing an incentive for these type of TDI owners.

The claims portal is only for settlement resolution. If you bought a stop sale or a buy back fixed vehicle you have no business there.

If you bought the car fully knowing the issue you shouldn't get a thing. Greed just runs rampant with this issue. Get the car fixed or not but stop crying about not getting paid to do it. Let VW worry about VW's issues.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Greed just runs rampant with this issue.
So much of the posts on this forum have become "what am I gonna get and when am I gonna get it and how can I capitalize on whatever I get" What happened to .......I love my TDI and I'm here with questions about how to keep it as the best car I ever owned? :confused:
I did not buy my TDI's ever thinking I was going to get anything from VW except a car that I liked.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
No, that's not it. Phase 1 meets the requirements, and Phase 2 ensures that it will continue to do so for the life of the car.
Yep..and if the owner doesn't care if it meets the emission requirements for the long-term forget about it you ain't gonna get another freebie check.:cool:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it is! Vehicles sold in the US must comply with CARB/EPA, for the life of the car (defined as 150,000 miles). Phase 1 alone does not comply with the emissions regulations in place in 2015 when these TDI's were built. Yes, Phase 1 will get these MY TDI's into "accepted compliance levels" as negotiated between CARB/EPA & VW, but Phase 1 alone isn't capable to sustain the emissions levels through the life of the vehicle (because the current equipment isn't capable of continuing the emissions levels for that period of time). So without Phase 2, and in some cases (vehicles under 40k/70k miles when the Phase 2 emissions fix is performed), an additional replacement requirement, these vehicles don't fully comply. That is the reason those who kept their 2015 TDI's were set up to get an incentive to complete Phase 2 (1/3rd restitution).

Also, I'm not crying, for goodness sake. I thought the portal was a way to communicate to VW I had a vehicle that fell in this "Dieselgate" situation to let them know it still needed a Phase 2 fix. I was wrong on that. I wasn't seeking restitution, and I bought the 2015 TDI knowing I likely wouldn't be getting it. I'm only bringing up a point that there is no incentive VW is providing to buyers of bought-back vehicles for the Phase 2 fix like there is for original owners who kept their 2015 TDI's and opted for the fix. That incentive for Phase 2 is different between these 2 groups. And I'm very sure not getting Phase 2 fix completed results in those 2015 TDI's to not be in compliance with the negotiated solution settled between CARB/EBP & VW. Just surfacing a point-of-view. Don't appreciate those that feel this is crying.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yes it is! Vehicles sold in the US must comply with CARB/EPA, for the life of the car (defined as 150,000 miles). Phase 1 alone does not comply with the emissions regulations in place in 2015 when these TDI's were built. Yes, Phase 1 will get these MY TDI's into "accepted compliance levels" as negotiated between CARB/EPA & VW, but Phase 1 alone isn't capable to sustain the emissions levels through the life of the vehicle (because the current equipment isn't capable of continuing the emissions levels for that period of time). So without Phase 2, and in some cases (vehicles under 40k/70k miles when the Phase 2 emissions fix is performed), an additional replacement requirement, these vehicles don't fully comply. That is the reason those who kept their 2015 TDI's were set up to get an incentive to complete Phase 2 (1/3rd restitution).

Also, I'm not crying, for goodness sake. I thought the portal was a way to communicate to VW I had a vehicle that fell in this "Dieselgate" situation to let them know it still needed a Phase 2 fix. I was wrong on that. I wasn't seeking restitution, and I bought the 2015 TDI knowing I likely wouldn't be getting it. I'm only bringing up a point that there is no incentive VW is providing to buyers of bought-back vehicles for the Phase 2 fix like there is for original owners who kept their 2015 TDI's and opted for the fix. That incentive for Phase 2 is different between these 2 groups. And I'm very sure not getting Phase 2 fix completed results in those 2015 TDI's to not be in compliance with the negotiated solution settled between CARB/EBP & VW. Just surfacing a point-of-view. Don't appreciate those that feel this is crying.
What a big pile of words that say absolutely nothing :cool:

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You are the one who brought up VW paying an additional fee to get people to do what they are supposed to do anyway. People of good character don't have to be bribed to do what is right. Everyone was informed what was to come before they bought the car and they knew what was expected of them. To even think about trying to get paid for this is the height of hypocrisy. I don't remember very well back when I bought mine but I believe there was a paper I signed informing me of this and that I was expected to carry out the fixes.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You are the one who brought up VW paying an additional fee to get people to do what they are supposed to do anyway. People of good character don't have to be bribed to do what is right.
The more I read these forums the less I feel that the people that post here have good character! They are just like the ambulance chaser attorneys that I hate advertising on the TV

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The Phase II fix on 2015 cars consists mostly as a preventive replacement of emissions components to ensure the car will meet the court ordered standards throughout the warranty period. The benefit to owners of higher mileage cars is you'll get some expensive emissions hardware free. It could save you significant repair costs if the existing equipment fails after the warranty expires. Seems to me like a good reason to get it done.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
If we don't get the 2nd fix done, will VW still honor the extended emissions warranty? I don't know but in my mind I see no reason to not get the 2nd 1/2 fix done. And besides if we don't get the 2nd 1/2 fix, are we giving VW an excuse to not honor the extended warranty? This is enough incentive for me. I am going to get the 2nd 1/2 fix done, but going to wait until a few have had it done so the techs. can hopefully iron out the bugs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It might cancel it. But why put yourself in that position when you can easily avoid it by getting it done? As with tuning, you should be prepared to shoulder the burden of repairs if you don't complete both fixes. Or at least be ready for a battle with VW over it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If we don't get the 2nd fix done, will VW still honor the extended emissions warranty? I don't know but in my mind I see no reason to not get the 2nd 1/2 fix done. And besides if we don't get the 2nd 1/2 fix, are we giving VW an excuse to not honor the extended warranty? This is enough incentive for me. I am going to get the 2nd 1/2 fix done, but going to wait until a few have had it done so the techs. can hopefully iron out the bugs.

My guess is if you don't get phase 2 fix, you'll have something needing replacing before you run out of the extended warranty, then at the time VW will force the phase 2 fix on you as the no cost option they are willing to pay for.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The more I read these forums the less I feel that the people that post here have good character! They are just like the ambulance chaser attorneys that I hate advertising on the TV
I couldn't agree more

I live for the day this particular forum gets shut down and closed permanently.

Steve

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
one way to shut it down is not to post ;)

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
You are the one who brought up VW paying an additional fee to get people to do what they are supposed to do anyway. People of good character don't have to be bribed to do what is right. Everyone was informed what was to come before they bought the car and they knew what was expected of them. To even think about trying to get paid for this is the height of hypocrisy. I don't remember very well back when I bought mine but I believe there was a paper I signed informing me of this and that I was expected to carry out the fixes.
So did you submit a claim and get any compensation from VW on any of your TDIs?