2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 40K Service

jaybutter

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
My Jetta is my first VW TDI. I just rolled through 40,000 miles so the 40,000 mile service is due. I was knocked back a bit when the dealer quoted $815.00 for it. Is that a reasonable cost? The quote does not include any discovered problems, just what is on the maintenance schedule. I understand that it is the "big one" but I really thought that the $500 compensation card would cover it. You might ask "why do the service with the buy back coming?". In Georgia it is possible that we will not be forced to participate in any dieselgate settlement and will be able to just keep on driving as usual. I want to keep this option open.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
You don't have to take it to the dealer to get "serviced". Find an Indy mechanic to do the "service"...

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
My Jetta is my first VW TDI. I just rolled through 40,000 miles so the 40,000 mile service is due. I was knocked back a bit when the dealer quoted $815.00 for it. Is that a reasonable cost? The quote does not include any discovered problems, just what is on the maintenance schedule. I understand that it is the "big one" but I really thought that the $500 compensation card would cover it. You might ask "why do the service with the buy back coming?". In Georgia it is possible that we will not be forced to participate in any dieselgate settlement and will be able to just keep on driving as usual. I want to keep this option open.
Just have them do oil and dsg, unless it's time for a brake fluid bleed too. I would expect 300-400 for DSG service, depending on area and maybe $100-120 for oil? Although, why are you going to the dealer for this? So much cheaper at an independent shop.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I don't remember now exactly what I paid but that sounds about right. It's a major service with engine oil and filter, transmission drain, new filter, and fill, and perhaps fuel and air filters.

I think you're doing the right thing, It's a fairly new and low mileage car and, as in Texas where I live, the EPA is not going to hassle you,

You'll receive another check to make you feel better about the service in November or December.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
$850 is not out of line for a dealer to do the service.

always a good idea to check what exactly is included, and compare with the maintenance schedule for your car.

(if you do not have the owners manual package which includes the maintenance schedule, a suitable substitute is located here):
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2013_JSW_TDI.pdf

you can save money with an independant, or if you want to do some maintenance yourself. DIY is a bit of a learning curve, tool purchase and storage hobby, as well as a potential money saver. (some folks can end up spending more, if things go wrong)

Langer brings up a good point, and it is likely that your car is ready for a brake fluid flush if not done already.

jaybutter

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
The only reason why I would use the dealer is that I still have the $500 dealer dollars card. I have a great German car independent for my 84 MB 300CD but based on the above input I am guessing that his cost will be more that $315 which means it would cost more ($815 - $500 = $315).

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
In Georgia it is possible that we will not be forced to participate in any dieselgate settlement and will be able to just keep on driving as usual.
This is a near-certainty in the entire United States. DSG service costs about $100 to DIY, plus maybe another $30 or so for tools for the first one.