Piston hit Valve after hydraulic lifter went bad, now what??

lugnutgmc

TDI
Working on TDI swap into Mk1
One of my hydraulic lifters decided to let go, which stuck the valve open which the piston hit. Below is the damage that resulted. I'm trying to figure out what direction to take now, replace the pistons, and rebuild the head or find a used motor? This is in an AHU motor in a mk1 swap.
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
If the engine was not using oil, and if the cylinder walls look OK, then you can get away with a rebuilt head with new cam & lifters, a used piston with new rings for it and a timing belt kit. That would be minimum in my opinion. Better would be to hone/re-ring all bores/pistons too. How does the underside of the head look?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Very much depends on how much $$ you are willing and able to commit to the project. Frank06 can fix your head. Check with him for repair cost vs. replacement cost. As Yblocker said, depending on condition of your block, you can just replace the piston with a decent used piston and fresh rings (after you hone the cylinder - lightly). You will also need to replace the rod bearing. Check it with plast i gauge for clearance. Check the ad section, you may find a used head for not too much money with a cam and lifters for even less $$.

Personally, I would stay away from a used engine. Would rather fix what I had (because I can know what I have). A used engine generally is a pig in a poke as far as knowing the history of use and/or abuse the engine has had.

I have chosen the used piston route on a 96 Passat in my garage right now. When we measured the block, it was in great shape in all 4 cylinders. The crank was also in great shape on the two rods I pulled to inspect. Just put 2 new rod bearings, measured clearance at between .0015 and .002 inches, so good to go. Keep the Rods you have as a matched set. Another rod will have a much different weight.

lugnutgmc

TDI
Ok, when I thought the damage was just to the head I planned on having Frank06 rebuild it. Ive been in contact with him and plan on shipping it out, but wanted to make sure I can repair the piston first.

I've taken on lots of projects before, but never replaced a piston or honed cylinders. I'm a little hesitant to do the work myself. Any tips on finding a good used piston? I know that two are the same and the other two are the same so I'd have to get the correct one, but beyond that, how to check one, where to locate one, etc?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Ok, when I thought the damage was just to the head I planned on having Frank06 rebuild it. Ive been in contact with him and plan on shipping it out, but wanted to make sure I can repair the piston first.

I've taken on lots of projects before, but never replaced a piston or honed cylinders. I'm a little hesitant to do the work myself. Any tips on finding a good used piston? I know that two are the same and the other two are the same so I'd have to get the correct one, but beyond that, how to check one, where to locate one, etc?
The question in your second paragraph is answered in your first.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
i may have a 1Z engine that may be up for grabs soon (currently in a '96 B4V) local to RI, i'd love to see the car be a donor for a project or a swap w/in TDI club family.

lugnutgmc

TDI
i may have a 1Z engine that may be up for grabs soon (currently in a '96 B4V) local to RI, i'd love to see the car be a donor for a project or a swap w/in TDI club family.
Awesome! PM sent.