2015 VW Golf TDI SportWagen Concept: New York Auto Show Debut

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
VW Will Bring An AWD Manual Diesel Wagon To America

http://jalopnik.com/vw-will-bring-an-awd-manual-diesel-wagon-to-america-1562176442

It's the holy grail, friends. Volkswagen is bringing a Golf Sportwagen TDI 4Motion to the New York Auto Show. AWD. Manual. Diesel. Wagon.2
MotorTrend reports the AWD diesel wagon is only going to be a 'concept,' but a concept in name only. This is a production-ready car, with either a 170hp/184 lb-ft turbo 1.8 liter gasoline motor or a 150hp 2.0 liter turbo diesel motor. The official transmissions, MT reports, will be the DSG six-speed and the company's six-speed manual.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I have no interest in an AWD vehicle but am curious about the price. I would expect the list p rice will be around $32,500; $33,500 w/DSG. Probably the first ones available will have all the options, so MSRP could be higher.

WolfPack

TDI
2013 Passat tdi
I'm digging the new steering wheel and the new radio/nav head unit! The only competition it has is what the much more expensive bmw 328d?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Pretty cool. Some climates need an AWD, better than buying an SUV.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
If they keep the price fairly competitive with the Outback they will sell a bunch of them. Problem is I don't think I could ever talk Wife out of her Outback ... she loves that thing.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
This whole forum will get these cars, seems people on here have hard ons for wagons...

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have no interest in anything but a wagon. Sedans are too limited in function and CUVs are like a Swiss army knife: made for multiple purposes, but performing non at a high level.

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...i-sportwagen-concept-new-york-auto-show-debut
What VW is calling the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen will be an additional model in the all-new 2015 Volkswagen Golf and GTI range, though the company calls the car it will show in New York technically a concept.

But it's the same Golf wagon that's been on sale in Europe for more than a year now, and that requires a bit of explanation.

Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Concept - 2014 New York Auto ShowVolkswagen Golf SportWagen Concept - 2014 New York Auto Show
U.S. buyers prefer sedans over hatchbacks, which is why we purchase many more Jetta compact sedans than Golf hatchbacks.

So Volkswagen has always sold the SportWagen model--which is a Golf wagon outside North America--as a Jetta model in the U.S.

Now, it appears, VW wants to standardize its global model range, so the all-new wagon based on the seventh generation of the Golf will now be dubbed a Golf here too.

The New York "concept" Golf SportWagen will show off not only an all-new 2.0-liter TDI diesel engine but also VW's 4Motion all-wheel-drive system.

The new wagon, Volkswagen says, is lighter, more powerful, and more fuel-efficient than the outgoing Jetta SportWagen.

Specifically, it's 1.1 inches longer, 0.7 inches wider, and despite 0.4 inches of increase headroom front and rear, almost an inch lower.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I have no interest in an AWD vehicle but am curious about the price. I would expect the list p rice will be around $32,500; $33,500 w/DSG. Probably the first ones available will have all the options, so MSRP could be higher.
On the Euro Golf TDI wagon (made in Mexico too), the 4motion, manual transmission version costs less than the DSG, front wheel drive version.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I'm digging the new steering wheel and the new radio/nav head unit! The only competition it has is what the much more expensive bmw 328d?
The 328d (F30) is automatic (ZF8) only. No manual option is available for the new diesel BMWs in the USA.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I need no 4WD, but love Stationwagons....Never had a 4WD in my life. MB is advertising like crazy their 4WD cars here in BC.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'd go for the AWD if it were a few inches higher ground clearance. I hate dragging my hitch. Would also help the trailer have a more level stance.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
http://jalopnik.com/hey-idiots-stop-saying-americans-won-t-buy-diesel-manu-1563050028

There's this vicious rumor going around that says Americans won't buy diesel wagons, especially ones with manual transmissions. You see it on twitter, on forums and even our own comments. You're all wrong, so shut up. Diesel manual wagons are more popular than you'd think.

RELATED

VW Will Bring An AWD Manual Diesel Wagon To America
It's the holy grail, friends. Volkswagen is bringing a Golf Sportwagen TDI 4Motion to the New York Auto Show. AWD. Manual. Diesel. Wagon. Read…
This concept, that Americans won't buy good cars, surfaced again along with the reveal of the Golf SportWagen TDI 4Motion Concept and it's beautiful, gorgeous, lovely manual transmission.

Many of us were excited, but a few of you had to remind us that, unlike Europeans, us yanks tend to buy the automatic gas-powered sedan version of everything. Diesels? Never going to sell here. Manuals? Get out! Wagons? You must be high.

Alas, these theories are great until you actually look at the ****ing numbers, numbnuts.

Last year Volkswagen sold 22,534 Jetta SportWagens. Granted, that's not a lot compared to the thousands of Toyota Camry sedans and Ford Fusions people buy, but it's a lot more than you think. More people drink Mountain Dew than Ommegang Abbey Ale, but that doesn't make the latter unpopular and I'd sure as hell rather drink it.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/a...under-the-golf-name.html?hpw&rref=automobiles

Is this EA288/MQB? Does the engine fix the Passat turbo defect? (and of course the HPFP) So this is the first EA288?
Whole new engine but from other posts, looks like it uses the same HPFP. Runs at the lower fuel pressure like the current Passat engine, so maybe that will help. Not sure about the turbo. Supposed to be a liquid cooled air interchanger, so that should help eliminate the IC icing.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The Jetta still comes with the RNS315? That's weird. I thought they would give it the new infotainment like the Polo got. (Which came out in 2009 and just got a big refresh)
I noticed the same thing. However, since the Jetta is not yet on the MQB platform, that may be why. Personally, I won't buy anything with the RNS-315, because the FM radio is terrible. I've had one in a loaner for a while, and it was miserable. Of course, I'm spoiled with the HD Radio in my RNS-510 and Dynaudio. I won't settle for anything without HD anymore.

I'm still waiting to see if the new radios coming in the MQB platform models will include HD. Haven't been able to find any info yet.

jasco

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
That is one of my favorite write ups lately. A short quick stab at themselves and the rest of the press.
Agreed, my wife saw a commercial the other day for vw "clean" diesel and asked me what the difference was and why mine wasn't called a clean diesel. I told her it was marketing to get the hippies on board. I think people are just uneducated when it comes to diesels.

Sign me up for one of those sportwagens, I'd rather have one of those than any suv out now. Jasco

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Face lift 2015 Jetta and EA288 SCR

Facelift Jetta press release at VWVortex

Facelift Jetta - some EA288 details at Green Car Congress

A complex exhaust gas recirculation system is also used. To conform to the current BIN5-ULEV2 emissions standard in the US, as well as the future LEV3/TIER3 standard, the Jetta is equipped with an emissions control system, including Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system (a diesel particulate filter with SCR coating) that is located near the engine.

The DPF features optimized porosity with high washcoat amounts of a thermally stable SCR coating. The system has low exhaust back pressure and high filtration efficiency.
Hmm, looks like most all of the expensive bits are all hugging the engine. Only thing behind/under the sub-frame is an exhaust flap. From there back is standard mufflers and such.

As far as the car - I think the facelift is a big improvement in looks. It also adds a lot of the newer electronic goodies.

Jason

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The difference is that my newer diesels have a lot more emmissions crap and more power than yours. Makes for diesel that runs cleaner than most gassers but does take a hit in mileage. If you buy the same set up as your 05, you will probably see about a 10 mpg drop. The new engine is supposed to be better but may still give a little lower mpg, compared to your 05.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
I get so much crap for driving a wagon. But really...compared to a SUV or CUV, a wagon has all the utility, gets better mpg, plus handles so much better.
AWD, 6spd Manual, Diesel, Wagon = Love.

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Wow, they might finally bring over a Diesel AWD with a manual. Then they have to ruin everything by leaving in that HPFP. What happened to German engineering? They fix the
inter-cooler, get ride of the funky regen cycle by going to DEF, and they give no love to the HPFP? Not even a filter for US cars? Every German engineer who got his wings by
a VW going over 100K miles (a reference to the Superbowl commercial) should have them taken back and the brilliant VW management team that approved that pump for
the US should get a long timeout in hell. Come on VW, why do you continue to torment us!