California TDI drivers...smog testing?!?

jfwdc

TDI
'03 Jetta
I have never needed to get a smog check on my TDI until this year's registration. Did the rules change or something for us Californians or is this request a mistake.

Anyone know if the laws have changed?

Thanks,

James

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
yes they have changed...i believe its been a year or more that the new smog rules went into effect.

I had to smog mine this year and all they did was plug into the obdII port for check engine light issues and a visual inspection. They did not plug anything into the exhaust or do any type of particle test under acceleration similer to what i had to go through while living up in Washington State.

I would call your smog shop that you would go to and ask them what exactly do they do to comply with the new smog regs for TDI's

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
California basically threw out the old rules and installed new ones the first of this year. They're coming down harder on polluters and those with aftermarket parts.

Your best bet is to be sure you have an OEM catalytic converter and that your EGR is still hooked up properly and there's no crankcase vent mods. Those are your main emissions controls.

If you have a chiptune, it's also possible you won't pass if it is one of those tunes that just keeps the EGR readiness on full time and doesn't properly reset.