Emissions exempt in Maryland?

sdk131

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL RC1+
I haven't gotten the slip in the mail yet since the car is less than two years old, but I noticed on the back of my wifes slip there are options to apply for an emissions exemption. One of the very first boxes reads something like "passenger vehicle soley powered by diesel or battery power."

Does this mean I just need to check this box and apply for an exemption...and that I will never have to be tested in the Republic of Maryland.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
sdk131 said:
I haven't gotten the slip in the mail yet since the car is less than two years old, but I noticed on the back of my wifes slip there are options to apply for an emissions exemption. One of the very first boxes reads something like "passenger vehicle soley powered by diesel or battery power."

Does this mean I just need to check this box and apply for an exemption...and that I will never have to be tested in the Republic of Maryland.
Never say Never:confused: politicians are worse than stealerships:mad: you just won't get tested for now:)

sdk131

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL RC1+
This is great news.....as I sit here thinking about leaking egr coolers, intake clogging, provent ccv filters and the like...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
In Northern Virginia (an air-quality non-attainment area) cars newer than 1967 MY have to pass smog tests, and within the last 8 years or so, they became very sophistocated, and now check CO, HC, and NOx emmissions by using dynomoters (used to use just a tail pipe "sniffer and check HC and CO levels). Owners must have the cars checked every 2 years and can not renew the registration without passing, or paying some type of penality after having repairs attempted. BUT diesel passenger cars and light trucks are exempt!:). So if my EGR cooler springs a leak out of warranty, its getting removed, its coolant hoses connected together, and the EGR pipe plugged off. Period.

--Nate

BlueGolfTDI

TDI
Golf, 2005, Blue
Maryland Does Test Diesels

Actually, diesels do get tested, if they are noticed as a problem.

There is a "smoke opacity" test, basically does your exhaust block 30% of the light. I believe that you can be sent to try and pass it just like you can be sent to try and pass inspection for a burned-out headlight.

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
Move to the Midwest. Emission testing we don't need no emission testing. All that CO2 is good for the corn and soydiesel plants!

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
The MD exemption is stupid.... (not that I don't enjoy it). For 1996 and later cars, it's nothing more than an OBD2 scan. Nothing that a Diesel can't do as easily as a gasser.

danny miller

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 ALH
I am in Austin, Tx with mandatory emissions inspections alongside the annual safety inspection. I just got the TDI and was surprised to find that yes, all diesel vehicles are totally exempt from emissions. Well, except removal of OEM emissions equipment. They don't even check the OBDII.

Consequently my inspection fee was less than half what it costs with either the tailpipe test (pre-1996 OBDII) or OBDII. Weird, gasoline vehicles have to pay the same $16 "emissions test" for either one, I was like "seriously?? you're just plugging in to read the OBDII port's code for an additional $16?"

I wonder why diesels are exempt? Is is just accepted that they can't meet strict emissions requirements so instead of admitting an uncomfortably high number on paper, they just said "nevermind, exempt it"? Or is the TSI "tailpipe test" done at idle not as meaningful for overall emissions?

Either way, it's odd they don't check the OBDII port to fail for codes related to emissions equipment at all.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Can't meet standards? Hell, the TDI is cleaner than a gasser by a large margin. I suspect that, at least in TX, that the percentage of diesels on the road is low enough that they chose to not test simply due to the cost/benefit ratio.

- Tim

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
California usually leads the way on this stuff. Texas followed CARB diesel standards as well. The tech actually did check to make sure the emissions looked to be in place still.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well, the new Federal standards for emissions are to be same as the CARB ones from now on (basically the Feds have turn the writing of a Federal regulation over to one state; not sure that is constitutional). However, our checks are biennial, not annual. But if the CARB sees they can get $50 every year rather than just every other year...

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
I'm just glad California ignores any diesels older than 1998! Cat, what's a cat? Seriously, when you're getting 48-50+MPG your grams per mile of anything is going to be almost nothing anyway…:D