side marker light

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Well, I searched here and reviewed the bentley and can't find any instructions on how to change the bulbs in the side marker lights (on the bumper rub strip) on my Jetta. Can you give me some help? I'm sitting at home today, sick and not feeling up to the trial and error method. Both are out and what is sad is that I have had this car just shy of 4 years and I don't remember them ever lighting...i just thought they were reflectors until recently.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
it is not the same for all models, but on my 2002.5 NB you pry off the plastic cover and then unscrew the screw you will find there and then it is easy.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
On my 02 Jetta, which I believe has same markers (but not sure)
The entire marker itself is mounted in a cleverly hinged pivot. I can't remember which, but you press in on either the front or the back portion of the lens, and the whole light pivots slightly. From there you can slide it and get to the bulb replacement. Be gentle ! If it doesn't want to release with light to moderate pressure, wait for someone else's words- I'd hate to steer you wrong and have you break your side marker !

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
There is a slight hemispherical depression in the end where you press. You slide it in that same direction to free up the hinge, pull the assembly out and you can get to the bulb. The install is the reverse.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Thanks, all! I just went out and shazam! It worked just as you said! I might have missed it, but I looked in the section on lights and on bumpers in the bentley and didn't see this..of course it was when I was feeling poorly the other day and I may have not given it the attention I should have. Now the boy and I are going to the auto parts store for new bulbs. I really appreciate the help. :D