Toureg search begins and need some help/advice

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
Hi,

Currenty have my 2012 tdi golf, and plan on keeping. I've always wanted a Toureg TDI, and now Looking for one, for those long family road trips. I've been searching on the forums, and figure probably easier to ask for some opinions/advice.

My budget is going to range from $25k-$35k CAD, preferably on the lower end of the scale but no problem spending a little more for a lower mileage one. I was looking at 2013-2016 models, and do not plan on towing, and lookng for reliability and comfort. Treg will be a 3rd car, so no problem waiting for one that checks off the list. I can do some minor maintenance & repair ie.) replacing brake rotors/pads. I do have a local TDI mechanic, that won't rip me off. I also understand that repairs aren't going to be as low as my Golf.

Off the top of my head, a few of my questions are below:

#1. What model/year tend to be the preferred? (ie. earlier years had transmission, less occurence with HPFP failure etc.)

#2. What is a "decent" amount of milage for a toureg you would consider. Is 80k-100k miles consider on the high side for a used TDI Toureg? I purchased my 2012 TDI with 65K miles and has been pretty good, besides having to return to the dealership 4-5 times after emission fix.

#3. I considered a Q7 TDI but preffered the Toureg. I test drove an Audi Q7 Vorsprung edition, with 80K miles on it ($33kCAD). It drove very nice, and very smooth. I'm assuming Q7 repairs/maintenance would definitely be higher than the Treg's? I have 3 kids, and would love to have the 7 seats in th Q7, but I just have my heart set on the Treg. with that being said, the Vorsprung Q7 is making me 2nd guess myself, for the family car. We have a Toyota, Sienna, so I'm thinking 5 seater Treg is worth sacrificing for!

Any advise and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Q7 is essentially just a stretched wheelbase T'reg, not a huge difference overall otherwise. Mechanicals are mostly the same. Q7s will come with more standard features that may be optional on certain T'reg trim levels.

The second generation of the V6 diesel has some improvements, I would go with one of those, newest you can find/afford if you have your heart set on one.

They are an expensive vehicle to maintain, just FYI. It is not uncommon for them to chomp through a set of tires and brakes every 25k miles. Obviously the type of driving it gets will vary this.

Avoid the air suspension if possible, it is just a wallet sucking liability. They all fail eventually, and I am not sure the bank account hit is worth any improvements in ride quality.

I am Volkswagen's biggest fan, but I would pick something else over a T'reg myself. I just do not see the advantage to owning one especially to depend on every day. There are better vehicles out there.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I ended up with a 2013 LUX model with only 19K miles and all service (it's had it's 10-20-30-40-50K services done annually) for 26 grand. Well worth the price of a one way rental and a road trip home. This was out of Chicago.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Hi,

Currenty have my 2012 tdi golf, and plan on keeping. I've always wanted a Toureg TDI, and now Looking for one, for those long family road trips. I've been searching on the forums, and figure probably easier to ask for some opinions/advice.

My budget is going to range from $25k-$35k CAD, preferably on the lower end of the scale but no problem spending a little more for a lower mileage one. I was looking at 2013-2016 models, and do not plan on towing, and lookng for reliability and comfort. Treg will be a 3rd car, so no problem waiting for one that checks off the list. I can do some minor maintenance & repair ie.) replacing brake rotors/pads. I do have a local TDI mechanic, that won't rip me off. I also understand that repairs aren't going to be as low as my Golf.

Off the top of my head, a few of my questions are below:

#1. What model/year tend to be the preferred? (ie. earlier years had transmission, less occurence with HPFP failure etc.)

#2. What is a "decent" amount of milage for a toureg you would consider. Is 80k-100k miles consider on the high side for a used TDI Toureg? I purchased my 2012 TDI with 65K miles and has been pretty good, besides having to return to the dealership 4-5 times after emission fix.

#3. I considered a Q7 TDI but preffered the Toureg. I test drove an Audi Q7 Vorsprung edition, with 80K miles on it ($33kCAD). It drove very nice, and very smooth. I'm assuming Q7 repairs/maintenance would definitely be higher than the Treg's? I have 3 kids, and would love to have the 7 seats in th Q7, but I just have my heart set on the Treg. with that being said, the Vorsprung Q7 is making me 2nd guess myself, for the family car. We have a Toyota, Sienna, so I'm thinking 5 seater Treg is worth sacrificing for!

Any advise and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron

I loved my Touareg, it was a 2011, and I’d get another, but I’d get the most recent model year (allowing for vehicle miles) that my budget could afford. Why? VW made incremental improvements to the emissions systems to eliminate the more failure prone aspects of the earlier years. My 2011 had a series of issues there. Also, earlier MY’s suffered from steering wheel shake that later MY’s did not.

Yes, it is hard on tires.

I downsized to a Q5 but if I needed a larger size SUV again my first move would be to scour the market for a low miles Treg TDI. There’s nothing out there I’d rather have for the value and performance.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Oilhammer very good info to know and will see if I can source one a 15/16 model. I do have my heart set on a Toureg, now it may also be the Q7. That will probably more of a maintenace nightmare but It won't be a daily driven car, but I will definitely get good use of it.

I also don't care too much for the air suspension. I'm assuming it's certain models (and not just the year) that came with air suspension package?

Thanks!

The Q7 is essentially just a stretched wheelbase T'reg, not a huge difference overall otherwise. Mechanicals are mostly the same. Q7s will come with more standard features that may be optional on certain T'reg trim levels.
The second generation of the V6 diesel has some improvements, I would go with one of those, newest you can find/afford if you have your heart set on one.
They are an expensive vehicle to maintain, just FYI. It is not uncommon for them to chomp through a set of tires and brakes every 25k miles. Obviously the type of driving it gets will vary this.
Avoid the air suspension if possible, it is just a wallet sucking liability. They all fail eventually, and I am not sure the bank account hit is worth any improvements in ride quality.
I am Volkswagen's biggest fan, but I would pick something else over a T'reg myself. I just do not see the advantage to owning one especially to depend on every day. There are better vehicles out there.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mythdoc, I read in another post, about wheel shake from Toureg, due to the larger rims it came with, and the wheelbase?

I'm definitely going to try and find a newer model, with relatively low mileage that fits in the budget. I can always replace tires, it's really the powertrain, HPFP, and the emission components I'm more concerned about. I can always get tires replaced and the brakes done on my own.

Thanks!

I loved my Touareg, it was a 2011, and I’d get another, but I’d get the most recent model year (allowing for vehicle miles) that my budget could afford. Why? VW made incremental improvements to the emissions systems to eliminate the more failure prone aspects of the earlier years. My 2011 had a series of issues there. Also, earlier MY’s suffered from steering wheel shake that later MY’s did not.

Yes, it is hard on tires.

I downsized to a Q5 but if I needed a larger size SUV again my first move would be to scour the market for a low miles Treg TDI. There’s nothing out there I’d rather have for the value and performance.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Oilhammer very good info to know and will see if I can source one a 15/16 model. I do have my heart set on a Toureg, now it may also be the Q7. That will probably more of a maintenace nightmare but It won't be a daily driven car, but I will definitely get good use of it.

I also don't care too much for the air suspension. I'm assuming it's certain models (and not just the year) that came with air suspension package?

Thanks!

No Treg after 2010 in North America comes with air suspension.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
it's really the powertrain, HPFP, and the emission components I'm more concerned about.

You’re in good shape here because the dieselgate warranty covers all of the above for an extended period. 10 years from original in service date or up to 120K miles. Another reason why lower vehicle miles might in certain cases outweigh model year.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
I've put that in consideration, and my reasoning to the wife for getting another TDI lol

I'll wait and see what's available, and if I can pick up low mileage treg, preferably 2014+

You’re in good shape here because the dieselgate warranty covers all of the above for an extended period. 10 years from original in service date or up to 120K miles. Another reason why lower vehicle miles might in certain cases outweigh model year.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Very nice! You guys, in the US, definitely get better deals on used vehicles (and selection) then us Canadians!

I've been hearing that these Toureg TDI's have been flying off dealer lots, over here..

I ended up with a 2013 LUX model with only 19K miles and all service (it's had it's 10-20-30-40-50K services done annually) for 26 grand. Well worth the price of a one way rental and a road trip home. This was out of Chicago.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Not noticing them flying off lots here. When I was looking for mine 2 local dealers still had 1/ea NEW 2016 sport models on the lot they would not budge on their "sale" price of ~42 grand. I think most are scared of the TDI brand since the EPA thing.

It was a win for me. Sold back my 2012 TDI wagon with 100K miles for 20 grand and am now in a MUCH nicer vehicle for pennies on the dollar.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Had another question, as I see the 2012 treg in the same highline trim, and relatively low mileage, for $5k-8kCAD cheaper than 2013-2014 models. Had my heart set on 2013 or 2014, but also wouldn’t mind saving a little bit more money for maintaining the treg. Advice/opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Should be better fuel economy from the 2013+ engine if that's important to you. I believe a bit easier to maintain too, slightly more space in the engine bay.

On the other hand: I test drove a 2013 not too long ago (doubtless "fixed") and it seemed to have less "go" than my 2010 Q7 which is not "fixed" but otherwise stock. If its trip computer was anything like accurate, the 2013 was definitely better fuel economy.

Not a direct comparison - but maybe saving the money for the older one might not be a disappointment. I came away from that drive feeling quite happy with my older machines. I don't know anything about changes to the interiors between 12 and 13+ Touaregs.

One other point: if you plan to tune it, the 2013 can be done through the OBDII port whereas the 2012 needs the ECU to be removed and sent to the tuner.

Last edited:

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Should be better fuel economy from the 2013+ engine if that's important to you. I believe a bit easier to maintain too, slightly more space in the engine bay.

On the other hand: I test drove a 2013 not too long ago (doubtless "fixed") and it seemed to have less "go" than my 2010 Q7 which is not "fixed" but otherwise stock. If its trip computer was anything like accurate, the 2013 was definitely better fuel economy.

Not a direct comparison - but maybe saving the money for the older one might not be a disappointment. I came away from that drive feeling quite happy with my older machines. I don't know anything about changes to the interiors between 12 and 13+ Touaregs.

One other point: if you plan to tune it, the 2013 can be done through the OBDII port whereas the 2012 needs the ECU to be removed and sent to the tuner.
Thanks! I didn’t know the computer had to be sent to tuner for 2012. I tried searching for 2012 vs 2013/14 but couldn’t find what I needed. very helpful points, and so Im going to just stick to my original plan, and get a 2013+ Model.

Thanks!

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello everyone,

After months of searching, and patiently waiting, I just purchased my Treg! I was able to grab 2014 exec R line, that was previously driven by vw associate. Car has 19000km. Just had to source one 1/2 way across Canada, and spent a little more than I wanted..a lot more actually! Haha! Very happy with this one, and have to do a little more work to get the car transferred over.

Just wanted to say, thank you for all the help and advice! I’m def planning to keep the treg in the family for a long time! Can’t wait to get her, and looking to book a little family snowboard trip out to, Vermont!

Also signed up on club Touareg forums, as many have suggested. Pics below :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ry4mrnyLzDeBuh326

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats! Looking at those pics makes me miss mine all over again, especially the heated steering wheel and the touchscreen. Their use of soft touch materials inside the cabin is worthy of any luxury vehicle brand. I hope you have many trouble free miles ahead of you!

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Really nice colour scheme - congratulations. They are usually black interiors which I don't much like.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you! I loved my Golf’s interior so this will be definitely a lot more “luxurious” for me and the family! They don’t seem to like riding in the Golf, after it was lowered..Haha!

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Just my luck! I picked up the car after finally being able to register/plate it, as car was coming from another province. Driving through winter storm, and about 1/2 hr on the road, i get the flashing glow plug light. I slowly drove it 25km to VW dealer. It turns out actuator is seized and turbo has to be replaced. It's covered under warranty, thankfully. Tech mentioned car was likely sitting too long.

I also found out the emissions recall work was just completed, in Nov 2018. Service advisor mentioned the Touareg is pretty solid, and they don't see much that come in for repair, other than for routine maintenance.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Free repairs are always good! Glad you are still happy after a maiden voyage that was not trouble free.