Aftermarket stereo hookup?

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Hey gang,

I have a 2004 Golf TDI with a double-din Monsoon stereo, which doesn't work any more. I bought a kit from Crutchfield that included a new double-din Kenwood stereo, harness, some sort of little black box that says Axxess on it, and some plastic.

Crutchfield didn't know how to answer my question without going through an elevation process and I'm never around during working hours so maybe someone here knows what's up.

Here's the link to the wiring kit that I bought:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209003NAV/Axxess-XSVI-9003-NAV-Interface-Harness.html

The harness has two 12-pin connectors. The Axxess doodle has a single female 12-pin connector. But I can't tell where either 12-pin connector goes. The instruction leaflet is worthless.

I've read that others on this forum have used this same kit. Maybe I'm dense but I don't see what goes where.

Thanks!

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Thanks for the response. Weird, though. I looked up "AWSC-1" and found that it was a steering wheel control adapter. But I don't have steering wheel controls. Maybe I just have the wrong adapter.

It goes to the AWSC-1, sold separately

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
IIRC it's also a CANBUS adapter controller, so that way the CAN network turns the radio on and off. Without it you'll have to run a wire to a power source. My 03 has to have the box too and I don't have my steering wheel controls hooked up.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Thanks for the response. Weird, though. I looked up "AWSC-1" and found that it was a steering wheel control adapter. But I don't have steering wheel controls. Maybe I just have the wrong adapter.
You have the correct adapter. It just gives you ACC(essory) and ILL(umination) connections. The steering wheel control adapter is optional for cars that have it. So the extra 12pin is unused

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Thank you for your help. I wasn't sure which connector to use, but I chose the right one by accident. Everything works fine except that the stereo won't turn off when I turn off the car. I have to hold down the power button to turn it off. But that's a problem for a another day.

Cheers.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
In theory, the Axxess adapter *should* have that "turn off when you pull out the key" capability (and that'd be the reason it was included, as opposed to a simple $10 wire-to-wire adapter.

The way I had to do it on my '02 Golf was to tap a wire on the steering column which gave me the switched power that worked correctly (i.e., stayed on when I turned off the car, but turned off once I pulled out the key).

Hwycruiser

TDI
I got the same adapter with my aftermarket stereo from Crutchfield. Had the same problem figuring it out and pretty much figured the extra adapter was not necessary as well. But I also have the “won’t turn off” problem and just thought it was the door lock module not working properly. Nuje can you explain in more detail which wire you tied into on the steering?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I followed this post on the vortex; unfortunately, the photos showing what you're chasing after are broken. :(

The "key sense" wire is the one you'd be looking to tap.

Edit: Here we go, compliments of me from a little while ago. :D

From what I remember, the other recommended option was tapping the 75X terminal under the fuse block; issue with using that, IIRC, was that as soon as you turned the key to the OFF position, the stereo turned off. Tapping the key sense wire allows stereo to stay on until you pull the key out.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That's an interesting way of doing it... I just stuck with the axxess box and it turns on and off with the CAN network... Meaning I can pull they key out, and it'll stay on for 3 mins or until I open my door. Running extra wires isn't fun... Especially when you need to fuse them and forgot the fuse holder is there :)
I can pull my radio out and take a snapshot of the harness for you guys if you like.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I ran new wires to all 4 of my speakers first.
I hooked the new wires to the speaker plug with the old wires in place so I could have radio until swap day. :)
Took a bit of time to do all 4.

It took my a good part of the afternoon to yank the old radio and amp in the back, and install the radio.
I ran new power & ground wires to the terminals under the relay panel (in line fuse).

Tapped into the headlight switch for bright / dim display.
Also added a power injector to power the amp in the antenna.
You did get one of these, right? :eek:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Short answer: Nope.
Easiest way (without a pricey wiring harness that includes a circuit board) is to tap the brown/red wire (verify with voltmeter) at the left-hand side of the steering column for the ACC (typically red, I think(?)) wire.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I just put in a new stereo. Isnt there just a wire to hook up to the new stereo for the auto turn off
I assume you mean an aftermarket unit.

I hooked mine up for power always (radio memory) and power in run (not crank)
Both points were on the bottom of the relay panel under the dash.

Radio shuts when the key is off.