06 jetta TDI DSG zerostart install

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
I couldn't find much for install instructions for a BRM with the DSG...so here are some pics of what I did...I was worried about having the trans cooler in line but it's working great...hardest part was getting the stupid line attached to the oil cooler...

I installed the cooler behind the lower drivers side grill insert...I used split loom over everything to avoid any rubbing issues...although the only spot that was a concern is where the gates 5/8" hose runs behind the lower intercooler bracket and then to the oil cooler...I used a 90* 5/8" gates hose for the top off the zerostart and then a plastic 90* bend to connect to the stock hose entering the dsg cooler. I used OEM style rotor clip Corbin style clamps on everything...I hate worm gear drive hose clamps...anyway just thought I would share...I made my own kit...probably the same cost as the frost heater kit...but I only had a afternoon to do this and couldn't wait...

Last edited:

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Just to clarify things I used (approximately) 2 ft of straight gates 5/8" hose going from the oil cooler to the zerostart, then a 90* bent hose off the top of the zerostart (it was 4", 90* bend then 2ft straight hose) connected to a 90* 5/8" plastic elbow that connected to the DSG cooler hose closest to radiator/front bumper...still circulating well...I also removed the check ball/valve from the zerostart before install....

goosegunner

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Reflex silver, 2006, DSG, white
What was the reason to remove the check valve?

Does this set up help warm the DSG?

gg

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
The coolant flows the opposite direction when the engine is running...so the check valve would block normal coolant flow. And it really doesn't warm the DSG that much since the trans fluid isn't flowing unless the engine is running...it helps a little I imagine...