98 TDI Beetle Starting Problem

MCCOYH

I have a TDI Beetle that a have only had 2days in it has a hard time starting even if the engine is warm it takes 8 or more cranks:mad: before it will start. Its seems to run fine after it is running any Ideas

Thanks McCoy in Arizona

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
You should go to a "major chain" auto parts store (Autozone, Advanced, Pep Boys) and ask (when they are not absolutely swamped) to have your battery/starter/alternator checked. It's free and can tell you a lot. My guess is that the battery is marginal. It takes a lot to start a car when it is really hot - something about efficiency loss with the heat. If you need a battery make sure it has sufficient amperage. Regular "gasser" batteries are about 60 to 70 amps where a diesel needs 85 or so.

Also, they can check (but not clear) for any "check engine light " codes that may have occurred in the car.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Can you help us by describing what you mean by "8 or more cranks"? DO you turn the key over for a second and call that one crank? or do you turn the key over for ten, fifteen, twenty seconds and call that one crank?

MCCOYH

starting problem

The Batt is hot When the glow plug light goes off and Depress Clutch and turn the key for more than 15sec while the engine is being turned by the starter motor then the engine finilly will fire and run. this is the same if cold or if the engine has ran for hours it takes more than 15 secs or more to start

Thanks

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
MCCOYH said:
The Batt is hot When the glow plug light goes off and Depress Clutch and turn the key for more than 15sec while the engine is being turned by the starter motor then the engine finilly will fire and run. this is the same if cold or if the engine has ran for hours it takes more than 15 secs or more to start

Thanks
So if you run to the store for family planning products, when you sprint back out to the car, it still takes 15 seconds to start?

If this is true, one thing to check is the timing of the pump. This is done with a VAG-COM, preferably. Look at the top of the page for a VAG-COM list for someone local.

Other wise, maybe the antishutter valve sticks closed. Check the stickies in TDI 101 for how to check that.

Last edited by a moderator: