Mass. Resident Buying Out-of-state car

dieselated

TDI
TDI-less at the moment
I was talking on the phone with my car insurance people about buying a used car from a private, out-of-state owner, and it sounds like a very complicated process. (So complicated, in fact, that I couldn't even write it all down.) Do any of the Massachusetts members of the forum have experience with this? Is it possible to simplify the process?

Thanks!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It's quite simple, I've done it a number of times.

It can be made more complex by three factors:

• not paying cash
  • not transferring plates
  • can't have temp registration in MA

dieselated

TDI
TDI-less at the moment
Thanks for the quick reply!

So what is the best way to go about the transaction? I've never done this before.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why don't you PM me and let me know what you are attempting. I'll help if I can.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
MA allows the temporary use (up to 7 days I believe) of valid registration plates on a new car provided that the old car from which the plates are removed has been sold.
The old registration and insurance binder, the old plates on the new car, and the bill of sale for the new car are all that is needed to legally bring the new car back to MA.
You'll then have to jump through the hoops to get the insurance binder and registration paperwork associated with the new car, but at least you'll have it home.

Now, just to whom you sell the old car isn't all that well specified, and I supose that the new owner doesn't have to take possession, and that there is no check to assure that the old car has actually left your possession....

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I chatted with this person today and they don't have a plate they'd be transferring making the scenario far more challenging. Getting this car appeared to be more of an undertaking than they had interest in.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Make sure that the title from the seller is filled out correctly with no scribbles or corrections of any kind. I barely made it through on the Passat formerly known as Harlequin where the seller hesitated on the 09/10 yr last Feb. She definitely made mention of it at the RMV window but seemed to let it fly after seeing the sale price vs book value and TAXING / FEE'ing me accordingly. To which I said "Thank you Mam"
She couldh've made me go the whole "Notary Public" route for sure which would have had to go back to MO. It wouldh've sucked for sure

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Why would it be a big ordeal? The best move is to have your insurance agent guide you through the paperwork, especially is a lien will be involved.

I bought an '86 Westphalia from someone in NY back in '04. I paid cash and the seller gave me a bill of sale and the title, properly filled out and signed in the appropriate places. I didn't have plates to transfer to it so I just took the keys and paperwork at the "transfer".

Next day I went to my insurance company to have an RMV-1 filled out, stamped, signed, etc. I then drove to the nearest RMV branch, waited in line, gave the clerk my RMV-1, the NYS title, and the bill of sale. They figured out the sales tax, I paid the fees, they printed me a registration card, gave me a plate, and I went on my way. Then just destroy it afterward since the "sale" fell through.

If you have plates to transfer, the paperwork requirements are essentially the same: title for the "new" car, bill of sale, RMV-1, and $$$. I've transferred registration between winter/summer vehicles several times. The RMV doesn't ask if the original vehicle has been sold. The only time you need to show that the original car is gone is if the police get you, usually because the inspection sticker is invalid/non-existent. Showing that you "sold" the original car is also an easy process: write up a bill of sale to one of your friends.

For Dieselated, where are you buying the car from? As mentioned, Mass does not do temp registration, so if it's from somewhere far away you may want to have your insurance agent look into it for you. You might be able to get temp registration from that state. Your not the first person in Mass to do this. As long as you have a bill of sale and a title and $$$ for the RMV, you'll get plates.

Either way, a smart insurance agent should be able to help you with the transaction.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mayor, they don't have plates to transfer and the car is several hundred miles away. They'd have to make several trips back 'n' forth to get this done and it didn't sound like they were keen on doing that....and they can't drive the car w/o license plates + ins in MA, which we all know ;)

Temp registration is not recognized by MA regardless of what state issues.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
So then the Op should get his/her insurance agent in the loop. He's not the first Mass resident to do this. Maybe the selling state offers temp registration.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Mayor, they don't have plates to transfer and the car is several hundred miles away. They'd have to make several trips back 'n' forth to get this done and it didn't sound like they were keen on doing that....and they can't drive the car w/o license plates + ins in MA, which we all know ;)

Isn't that why you take the plates off your other car and put them on the new one, then drive the speed limit to hope no staties notice?

I've bought 2 cars from out of state, one from Florida which was shipped up and the other from a TDIclub member who let me "borrow" his plates, so I guess I never hit any problems. Selling to a person in Rhode Island, he used his own plates from another car to transport it from Framingham. Never heard of any problems.

I guess its not technically legal but you have to have some seriously bad luck to get into trouble.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Now if you have a car that has no title and has never been registered or insured, I can understand some concern about driving that on the road, since I'm in that situation now.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So then the Op should get his/her insurance agent in the loop. He's not the first Mass resident to do this. Maybe the selling state offers temp registration.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't that why you take the plates off your other car and put them on the new one,

W, what if you learned that the buyers don't have a car and they don't have any old plates laying about in their garage ;)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then how do people drive through Mass with temp plates??
Not legally. And the vehicle can be impounded/towed. See MGL Chap 90, sec. 6 :)

(I know people do it, but it's not allowed and if the wrong cops spots you....)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Then how do people drive through Mass with temp plates??
They aren't MA residents. ICC laws require recognition of out of state licenses, out of state registrations, and allow driving without insurance, all provided that the state of residency permits that 'self-insurance'. Temporary tags issued to an out of state resident for use on an out of state car are legal in MA.

Similarly, my use of steel studded snow tires, permitted by MA for use from November to April, are legal for me to use (during those specified months on my MA registered car) even in states where studded tires are outlawed for that state's residents. Been there, done that, fought the ticket and won.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
We have done it a number of times---both the way SnowCub described, and with the aid of a car trailer.

Very simple:

1. Go see the car with the car trailer in tow (the kind where the new car's wheels are ALL off the road so you can run it without plates)--drive the car and decide if you really want it.
2. If so, have the owner sign the title over to you--filled out completely and accurately.
2. Write up a complete bill of sale--at least 2 copies--and all people* sign it.
*All names from the title must be on the BoS with signatures and dates. Real legal like.
3. Call your insurance co and tell them that you are buying this car. Have the VIN, and pertinent details. IIRC, my insurance co covered the car from the end of the call.** They'll fill out an RMV-1 form for you.
** not necessarily of you
4. Take the bill of sale (make copies, they take all the papework), a checkbook or cash, RMV-1, and completed title to the Mass registry, sit for a couple hours. You pay tax based on the RMV's assessed value and get your plates, registration, etc.
5. You have up to 7 days to get it inspected--including your registry day.
6. Many happy miles and GTGs follow! :)

* Not the case if you use the SnowCub method of transport. *

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
We have done it a number of times---both the way SnowCub described, and with the aid of a car trailer.

Very simple:

1. Go see the car with the car trailer in tow (the kind where the new car's wheels are ALL off the road so you can run it without plates)--drive the car and decide if you really want it.
2. If so, have the owner sign the title over to you--filled out completely and accurately.
2. Write up a complete bill of sale--at least 2 copies--and all people* sign it.
*All names from the title must be on the BoS with signatures and dates. Real legal like.
3. Call your insurance co and tell them that you are buying this car. Have the VIN, and pertinent details. IIRC, my insurance co covered the car from the end of the call.** They'll fill out an RMV-1 form for you.
** not necessarily of you
4. Take the bill of sale (make copies, they take all the papework), a checkbook or cash, RMV-1, and completed title to the Mass registry, sit for a couple hours. You pay tax based on the RMV's assessed value and get your plates, registration, etc.
5. You have up to 7 days to get it inspected--including your registry day.
6. Many happy miles and GTGs follow! :)

* Not the case if you use the SnowCub method of transport. *
+1. The OP isn't the first person from Mass to buy a car from out of state. Of the states that do issue temp registration, they may have provissions for out of state buyers. What state is the vehicle/seller in? If the OP can get temp tags in the selling state, then it's just a matter og gettig from the border to his driveway. Obey the traffic laws and the chances of having a LOE problem are slim.

Maybe the OP can make an arrangement with the seller to borrow his plates.

Or go look at the car and decide yes or no. If yes, give the seller $200 to drive the car to Mass on his plates and do the "transfer" in Mass.

A smart insurance agent should be able to help in the process.

Last edited:

richardmunn

TDI
00 A4 5M; 97 B4 5M
If this helps any, I just bought a B4 out of state this past June and the process was not too involved. I saw the car, met the seller, negotiated and sent the funds and seller sent me the filled-out registration. Then off to my insurer and then to DMV, filled-out the RMV-1 and took the plates with me to put on the car for the drive back. From the time I got the plates until I crossed the MA border, it took a few days or a week longer than the 7-day grace period. I figured, if I were stopped for not having an inspection sticker, I could explain it away, because the car had been out-of-state up until that point (plus I drove at night, on Sunday, too, just for good measure). Had zero problems. Do I recommend this? No. Would I do it this way again? You betcha. Good luck!

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
The Communist State of Massachusetts

Very quickly or at night. (Or) If you fly the "Kennedy colors", the cops look the other way....:rolleyes:
and remember race pipes are for off road use only and any modification to factory exhaust systems is completely illegal!

I been seen sneaking a car into MA a few times on a "borrowed" plates.

Jetter - "it's easy, start with a trailer that has all four wheels off the ground"...lol..yes, after that part it's easy. :D

skennedy1023

TDI
passat
when i bought my passat from CT i called my insurance company and they said take your plates off your current car and have the title and bill of sale and drive it home! it might be a good idea to call them and let them know though.