Fuel and Brake Line Covers

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Well, I got my fuel line cover delivered by the local dealer today, but it looks like they got the wrong cover - the part that arrived was a "C" suffix, which does not have the opening in the side of it to allow the fuel lines out to go into the fuel cooler.

Many thanks to Brakes for posting the pictures on the first page of this thread highlighting the differences between the "C" and "E" suffix.

Anyway - just for the record, here are some pictures of the part with the "C" suffix, in other words, the part for the cars that don't have a fuel cooler (all TDI's have fuel coolers):

Fuel Line Cover - Top Side

Fuel Line Cover - Bottom Side

Part Number Label

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
I ordered the brake line covers in Switzerland, and they were also on back order (from Germany, yet), so I guess this is a popular modification. Wonder if people are learning about it from the "school of hard knocks" after getting a brake line damaged?

The clips came in, though - here's a picture of them:

Retaining Clips for Brake Line Cover

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
I bought some of the fuel line covers for putting on our cars (Jetta wagon and Beetle, both 5-speeds), and attached some insulation to the covers to help keep the fuel warm in the winter.

Now I just need to get around to installing them on the cars. It looks like there's some free play in the fuel lines, so did anyone have any trouble getting the cover to snap onto them? (i.e. when you try to push the cover in place, do the fuel lines move away from the cover, making it more difficult to snap the cover on)

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Nope... snaps right on.

As for the brake line cover:
See MoGolfs post for install instructions.

I love this place.

[ December 01, 2002, 20:28: Message edited by: Kennedy ]

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
Thanks Kennedy. Once it warms up a few degrees I'll get around to putting these things on. It's COLD out there!

NothernSky

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, Model 2001, red
I just saw on IMPEX that the part number for fuel line covers on an automatic TDI is #1J0201488E, I have a standars trasmission, so I should buy #1J0201488C?

I´m confused becuase, Michael says that all TDI have fuel coolers

PS, No. have not seen my car below.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Anyway - just for the record, here are some pictures of the part with the "C" suffix, in other words, the part for the cars that don't have a fuel cooler (all TDI's have fuel coolers) only automatic cars in the US anyway have fuel coolers.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
Birdman:

You are correct, only the automatic TDI's have the fuel cooler, thanks for catching my mistake above. NorthernSky, sorry for misleading you.

Now - to really confuse everyone totally - I went to the dealer yesterday to pick up my "correct" fuel line cover (the one with the cutout in it for cars with the fuel cooler). According to the EKTA screenshots I posted above, this should have been part number 1J0 201 488 with an "E" suffix. Well, the part arrived, with the correct cutout in it, but it had a "C" suffix moulded into it. So I am now thoroughly confused about the part numbers.

However - I really think that all this is moot, because Kennedy figured out the solution to the problem back on August 25th (see his post on page 1 of this thread) - just cut the required opening in the side of this part if you have a car with a fuel cooler. The plastic is very thin on the sidewalls, and the cutting could be accomplished easily with an ordinary kitchen knife, it would be no more difficult to do than cutting a plastic milk carton.

Below is a picture of the part with the cutout (made that way by VW) for cars with the fuel cooler. As you can see, it has a "C" suffix moulded into it...

Fuel Line Cover with cutout for cars with fuel cooler

My brake line cover came in on the same shipment (I think it got shipped out of Hungary), here are some photos of the two piece kit:

Brake Line Cover Kit

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Funny thing about the Fuel coolers.....

In Europe, the Fuel cooler comes only on the PDI versions. In the US it is only available on the Automatic cars.....

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
When I had the car up at my VW dealer to get the Audi TT lift pads installed, I also asked the staff to install the fuel and brake line covers. The fuel line cover was very easy to install, it just clipped on over the plastic lines. Here are some pictures of the installation process, "before and after":

Rear portion of fuel line, before installation of cover

Front portion of fuel line, showing fuel cooler (my Golf has an automatic transmission, therefore a fuel cooler)

Fuel line cover installed

Close-up photo of the front end of the cover assembly, showing the fuel cooler

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
After installing the lift pads and the fuel line cover, the next task was to install the brake line cover. This was not quite as simple as installing the fuel line cover, because it was necessary to remove the small rubber clips that retain the brake lines in place, and install (over them) the metal clips that hold the plastic brake line cover in place.

The general consensus among the mechanics at my dealership was that they were not entirely happy with the brake line cover, because they were concerned that the cover might trap moisture and mud that could contribute to corrosion of either the brake line or the underbody of the car. Several of the more experienced mechanics have been with the dealer for over 20 years, and none could ever remember seeing a damaged brake line (due to road debris) on a Golf. So, we will remove the brake line cover in 2 years and see if there is any evidence of corrosion, and also see if any mud or debris has built up between the cover and the underbody of the car.

Brake Line (rear of car) before cover installation
Note that the outboard line has been removed from the front plastic retaining clip, and the rear plastic retaining clip has been completly removed from the car, prior to installation of the bracket that holds the plastic cover in place.

Brackets to hold the plastic cover installed
Brake lines have not yet been clipped back into the rubber retaining device

Brake Line Cover installed (view from rear of car)

Complete brake line cover installed - red lines show the length of it, and about where the two pieces join together

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Anyway - just for the record, here are some pictures of the part with the "C" suffix, in other words, the part for the cars that don't have a fuel cooler (all TDI's have fuel coolers):"

I think only the Pumpe Duse (unit injector) TDIs have the fuel coolers, due to the super high injection pressures and because the fuel galleries are bored right through the cylinder head. The returned fuel gets so hot it will ruin the fuel gauge unit, if not cooled.

--Nate

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
PDJetta said:
"Anyway - just for the record, here are some pictures of the part with the "C" suffix, in other words, the part for the cars that don't have a fuel cooler (all TDI's have fuel coolers):"

I think only the Pumpe Duse (unit injector) TDIs have the fuel coolers, due to the super high injection pressures and because the fuel galleries are bored right through the cylinder head. The returned fuel gets so hot it will ruin the fuel gauge unit, if not cooled.

--Nate
Actually the PD's and all automatics have fuel coolers factory installed. (Both my wifes 2002 NB and my 2003 Wagon are automatics and have them).

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
So just to be sure, I ordered the "C" Suffix part....I am assuming that would be correct for a 2006 Jetta TDI Wagon (Pumpe Duse, with fuel cooler)

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
digifant_gli said:
So just to be sure, I ordered the "C" Suffix part....I am assuming that would be correct for a 2006 Jetta TDI Wagon (Pumpe Duse, with fuel cooler)
Mogolf said:
"For the record" at present, the correct part number for manual tranny is now suffix "C". Suffix "E" is for cars with the cooler.
The "C" will work fine but the "E" is the correct one. The only real difference between "C" and "E" is that the "E" has the cutout for the fuel cooler.

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
When I called the dealer and asked them about that, they said that there wa a supersession on the part....the C goes to the E which goes back to the C....go figure.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Just looking at the brake line cover retrofit now.

On the 4-motion they list the same part as the 2wd two piece cover
1J0611824A plus the four clips 1J0611715A (superseded number) but there are also listed two other parts:

1J0611823 - cover for brake pipes - left

1J0611824B - cover for brake pipes - right

These are extra covers for the 4-motion brakes lines on the trailing arms in addition to the above.

1J0611824B:

Threre are two existing threaded holes in bottom of trailing arm:

Approximate location for fitment (need to establish what bolts are used to actually mount these - none listed for fitment):

Also note small "aero" deflector at rear in front of lower suspension arm.

:)

Last edited:

milehighjetta

TDI
'02 Golf, '13 JSW
Took a nice chunk of ice today down the passenger side of the Golf today, car died after 2-3 miles and massive air in line. Looks like my fuel line took the hit. Will be replacing those and likely putting this cover on at the same time.

~Jim~

TDI
2004 PD100
Ordered my fuel line cover today, I was amazed at the price for the brake line cover tho! 102$ for two pieces plastic cover.. i might not take this one!

~Jim~

TDI
2004 PD100
While being at it, anyone here who has installed these fuel/brake line covers after a few months / years noticed any bunch of debris and bad stuff cought inside of those covers, which could lead in deteriorating the lines ?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Found part number for the correct four bolts to secure 4-motion parts to trailing arm:

N 909 370 02 hex socket head locating bolt M6x8x16

:)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Found this a while ago, just never posted it. It's only $7.00 and seems like a good idea.

Here are some pics:

Lito

[ November 25, 2002, 20:15: Message edited by: tongsli ]
What are you trying to protect with cheap plastic covers? Your engine bay from the fashion police?

Stainless Steel lines are extremely durable and don't really need any protection.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
After nearly 18 years, most of the brake line cover clips corroded away and the cover flapped in the breeze as I drove. The cover is as good as new.

The clips 1J0611715 are still available and reasonably priced.

I didn't find debris trapped by the cover or brake line corrosion.