Rain Guards?

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
Anyone have a good recommendation for window rain guards for the passat?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Funny you mention this, I just got dumped on when I rounded the corner the other day and I had the window cracked for airflow. Never had this happen on other cars. Looks like the gutter system is different on our cars.

Thanks for the information dieselducky.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
A few questions after reading the install instructions online.

How do you, or do you ever remove these? They are adhesived into the track.

Do they cause more wind noise?

Hurt MPGs?

Oldoarsman

TDI
FO: 2012 Passat TDI SEL, '10 Jetta S/W 6sp man, '97 Passat TDI 5sp man, '85 Golf Diesel
These defectors are held in the window channel by friction and spring tension.
They work very well, and I have had front and rear sets on all of our vehicles for the past 10+ and include a 1997 Passat TDI sedan and a 2010 TDI Sportwagen.
These defectors help alleviate wind buffeting when the windows are down, and allow the windows to be open to vent on hot days without it being apparent to passers by. They also do a great job of deflecting rain.
Now that they are available, I'll order a set for our new TDI SEL.

cj42

TDI
When you get them installed can you send some close up photo's and give your review on wind noise at highway speeds with windows closed? I have a set on my truck and love them but a cummins engine isn't that quiet so wind noise is not an issue. Thx

Oldoarsman

TDI
FO: 2012 Passat TDI SEL, '10 Jetta S/W 6sp man, '97 Passat TDI 5sp man, '85 Golf Diesel
Weathertech window deflectors

Just ordered a set for front and rear, I'll update you after I receive and install them.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
A few questions after reading the install instructions online.

How do you, or do you ever remove these? They are adhesived into the track.

Do they cause more wind noise?

Hurt MPGs?
The Weathertech should have adhesive on the rear ones only on the in channel ones. At least for a 2011 Golf. Not sure on the adhesive for the Passat. Just remove the adhesive on these ones. They can then be removed easily if you need to. Mine haven't caused any wind noise that I can hear. But my ears are close to 60 years old. :eek:

Last edited:

cj42

TDI
I ordered mine from etruckaccesories.com yesterday for $59 but they are out of stock until May. Probably going to kill the order and buy direct from weathertec.

Oldoarsman

TDI
Weathertech window deflectors

My order directly through Weathertech is "in progress" and it appears that we'll have to wait for production to begin.

cj42

TDI
I received an email telling I can't get them until end of April so I just ordered them from weathertec today...If I have to wait until May from weathertec I might cancel my order today from weathertec and wait cor the other vendor. They had a much bettee price.

cj42

TDI
Anyone running these in there Passat? I have not installed mine yet. They seem to put alot of pressure on the window when they are closed. I have driven with them with the adhesive and I don't think the noise is much different then with out. I just curious is anyone else has experienced how much these bind when the window is closed.. Is this normal?

Oldoarsman

TDI
Weathertech wind defectors

Received and installed mine some time ago and they work well...nice tight install and they do not detract from the lines of our Passat.
As mentioned in my prior posts, they work exceptionally well during our hot Virginia summers. I'll park my car in the lot at work with the windows slightly open to vent the hot air that accumulates...the tint makes it appear that the windows are fully closed. It's safer than leaving the sunroof open....especially when our summertime afternoon thunderstorms roll through.
My only issue is when the right front passenger deflector causes that window to re-open before it is fully closed. It does not happen enough for me to find it an issue...when it happens, it's usually during the auto-up function...I'll just bump it up slowly until it seals.
I'll take a closer look at it one of these days, but it's not a significant problem.

BigJimmy428

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
OEM ones

I had the dealer throw the OEM ones in with my car. They ordered them and they came in 3 days later.

The fronts install with pressure and the rears use clips. No real noise increase or noticeable MPG effect.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Is there much increase in wind noise with them on there, dakim or Oldoarsman?

Thanks!

Oldoarsman

TDI
Wind noise?

I have not noticed an increase in wind noise with the windows up, and the deflectors work well with the windows down or partially opened...no to minimal buffeting. A nice improvement over no deflectors.