EGR Delete to undelete

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI
Hey guys,
I have a ALH TDI in a 2000 VW Jetta. When I bought the car the owner said it had an EGR delete. I didn’t realize that it was illegal in Cali to do this. Nonetheless I had a hard time getting it smogged. So now I am selling it and in order to sell it I need to return it to original. I have been looking up the process and it seems everyone has replaced the EGR with a “race pipe”. Mine still has the EGR in place but the EGR cooler has been removed. So my question is should I just replace the Cooler and get it smogged and sell it? Or do i keep it as is? Thanks

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As long as you disclose what has been done and the buyer agrees to take it as is and deal with it themselves, I think you can sell it as is. Document it in the paperwork though to cover yourself. If that isn't okay for you, return it to stock and sell it as is. I would return it to stock. Doesn't sound too complicated to get done. I would hate California coming back at me for something like this.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
With the EGR in place it should pass the visual inspection unless they get picky.
And as long as the CEL has been tuned out (and in some 2000's it doesn't light up).
There should be someone on this forum who has a cooler they are willing to sell, too.

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
in california dmv is strict and really stupid about the way they go about things when it comes to smog. they will allow the new owner to start the registration process but then its on them to get the car smogged and legal if they want to get registration.

BUT the law says its the sellers responsibility to smog. instead of requiring this before paperwork exchange and tagging sellers license, etc. many people fall for peoples crap and cars become non op projects that get scrapped.

dmv will tell you that you can go after the seller for damages to get the car smog compliant but good luck with the hassle, if you can even get the other parties info to bring to court, etc. i have dealt with this too many times with supposed upstanding people that don't give a crap and are selfish at the end of the day.

i had a 2000 jetta as a swap for my mtdi project, i have lots of the parts hanging around, i didn't use the egr system, my old mk2 chasis has no smog or inspection so no hassle for me. for sale section probably has even more.

in california you can't make up some bill of sale for terms on a part car. the buyer can come after you if the crap hits the fan so don't open yourself up to that if you are an honest person.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I have an ALH EGR cooler, rubber hoses, tee, and 2 other EGR pipes if you're interested. All you would need is the EGR valve itself and 1 new hose bc one of these is cut. If you need JUST the cooler, I can sell you just that too. PM me if you're interested...

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI
I’ve had the car for five years and the first three times I tried to smog it it failed the visual Evan though the EGR valve is there. Yeah I’m going to have to put it back. Turns out the guy I bought it from was a cop. If anyone has a cooler and the hoses I am interested. Thanks