Another video

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I made another video. Nothing earth shattering here, just glow plug info on PD Tdi's and most users on here will probably all ready know, but there is a funny ending.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thankyou for sharing. The meter set-up is new to me, but very sophisticated diagnosis.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hah. Got all existential about making youtube vids for a second, eh?

Nice diag. I've noticed that, annoyingly, WorldPac seems to only list 11V plugs for these cars.

Had one here last week I was assisting my shop mate with (I sub-lease the space from him), we were redoing the head and a balance shaft delete. It had 11V Meyle plugs in it and in my head, any 11V seemed wrong for a PD.

If I recall, the original ceramic glow plugs on these cars were 7V. They were prone to breaking the tips, though, so to prevent major damage from happening, they switched to the 5V steel plugs and flashed an update to the engine computer.

Well, in colder climates, it turns out those 5V steel plugs were not so great for cold starts. So, if people complained, VW offered another solution. Back to 7V plugs. But this time steel-sheathed, ceramic tipped ones. Basically what the BRM would end up with from the factory. The BEW and BHW were subject to the various glow plug updates (V10s too, if I recall), I don't believe the BRM was.

I do have the Tech Tip/update notice uploaded to the pics server now. click here for that.

I have started to refer back to this now to select glow plugs for BEWs and BHWs. It has a list of engine computer part numbers and software revision numbers that let you know if it has the latest 7V update or the older 5V version.

So, for example, in your video when you first login to the engine computer with VCDS, in field 1 "VAG Number," you see the engine computer part number, and field 2 "Component:" you'll see a string of stuff you can pretty much ignore, except the last set of digits. Those four digits are your software version number.

So, using the tech tip linked above we can deduce that the BHW you were working on with 038 906 016 R computer part number running software revision 6416 is programmed for 5V steel plugs.

If it instead read 038 997 016 T revision 0314 it would be the latest 7V update.

The BHW I was working on last week also indicated it had the 5V plug software. So, I ordered the Bosch plugs that had the APPEARANCE of being 5V plugs and the part numbers in WorldPac cross-referenced to the OE part number for the 5V plugs, when they show up, the plugs say 11V...

Well, we have a pretty mild climate here. Doesn't get cold enough to really need to pre-glow, so, we put them in anyway and haven't had any codes. Which, I would hope so. They're identical Bosch 11V plugs!

The dealer used to have the 7V 'hybrid' NGK plugs for pretty cheap (part number ends in 09), but they've come up a lot in price the last few years.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
N 105 916 07 is the 5v Bosch steel tipped GP's which I have in my BEW with the original software. MOGolf has a chart here in the archives listing all the software parts numbers.
I only had to change one since I installed them way back when. The tip showed no signs of over heating, and I get very little smoke, if any, on a cold start-up. The original 7v ceramics smoked like crazy.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Thanks to both of you for all that info. As I said in my first post, most people here on Tdi club probably know all this all ready, I'm preaching to the choir.

I try simplify the issue by just matching what is there. I suppose someday I might get in trouble with one with 5v software with four 7v plugs in there or 7v software and four 5v plugs in there, but I'm sure I'll figure it out when the code reoccurs.

I saved the bulletin for when that happens! So thanks again Matt!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Might as well post that I made a video about ALH glow plugs. Everyone on here knows the info in the video all ready, (its short), but the video might help a newbie.

Speaking of Newbies.... Has anyone been on the facebook group Vw Tdi owners? I joined that group and its a little annoying.

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Speaking of Newbies.... Has anyone been on the facebook group Vw Tdi owners? I joined that group and its a little annoying.
Yes. I've seen you on there as well. And yes, they can be a tad annoying. Like talking to a brick wall some days. Say the best solution over and over again and they go and take some other idiot's advice then wonder what went wrong. :D

I think Jason Daniels was in that group for a very brief period too. He couldn't handle it and left. haha

Anyway, thanks for sharing your diag with the current draw. I usually do it the cheap way and go for resistance, although it seems to work pretty well for glow plug diagnostics. Very rare does it not catch a bad plug for me. There certainly are other wiring diags where a voltage drop test under load is far more telling than a resistance check so I definitely 'get' not seeing a resistance check as the best way to diag many electrical faults.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I used resistance checks when I first started doing this. But I had one that passed ohm tests fine, but continued triggering codes even when resistance check was fine. When I amp checked it flowed amps briefly but then quit. I continued resistance checking because it is easier, but ran into another one that passed the resistance tests, but failed the amp tests, so I now amp test all of them.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
I used resistance checks when I first started doing this. But I had one that passed ohm tests fine, but continued triggering codes even when resistance check was fine. When I amp checked it flowed amps briefly but then quit. I continued resistance checking because it is easier, but ran into another one that passed the resistance tests, but failed the amp tests, so I now amp test all of them.
Right on. I will keep that trick in mind if I do have one that is stumping me. I may even shift the way I diag them just to make sure I have it right the first time.

Nothing like giving a quote only to say "Oh, oops, that didn't quite fix it, it needs more than I thought."

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Again, thankyou for the time and effort to share your experiences. The overheating Passat video was also very impressive.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Again, thankyou for the time and effort to share your experiences. The overheating Passat video was also very impressive.
My videoing ability is very poor especially in that video. Tech content is good but "watchability" is poor. I'm getting better though.

Thanks for the compliment.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Here's another mk4 jetta video. How to install short throw shifter.

Dont install one of these shifters without first watching the 2nd video !!!

We have since installed more of those shifters and they do not all have the problem.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, thanks again Richard. Very commendable of you to share your experiences. I also watched the Mini headliner removal procedure. What is the cordless wrench that you use?
I'd like to see more of the armored diesel.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Well, thanks again Richard. Very commendable of you to share your experiences. I also watched the Mini headliner removal procedure. What is the cordless wrench that you use?
In the shifter video I used a snap on air ratchet and a 3/8 ingersol-rand impact gun. I also used a makita rechargeable drill as a screw gun. That thing is literally 20 years old, and I still use it every day. Its big bulky and heavy compared to modern stuff. I bought many batteries for it over the years when they wouldn't charge anymore. I'm not sure I'll buy another one though.

I think I was using a black & decker screw gun in the Mini headliner video. I got that for Christmas and I like it. Its small and strong enough but it turns slow and its awkward to switch reverse and forward. But it was cheap, as I saw it at Target for like $34 bucks or something. The old makita I paid $170 for charger, flashlight and drill 20 years ago from tool truck.

I'd like to see more of the armored diesel.
This thing is 8 wheel drive and 8 wheel steering! Its a reproduction of a Schwerer Panzerspanwagon 231 8-rad. the guy who owns this has a 2nd one, not running, being worked on by the guy who built them, and a kdf wagen and a kubelwagen, and another light armored car ordered from a guy building it in UK. (all are reproductions)

Its got a "german import" ADG 1.9L IDI Vw diesel in it. Very similar to AAZ 1.9L. It had overheated since it was purchased and we fixed that then ended up having to pull head as head gasket was shot and head warped. We have it back together. I have a short video on the Tank on the subject of "how to adjust timing" on IDI VW diesel. Here is that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvfO-WZra2g&

Front (turrent is turned around with guns pointing to rear)

Guns (they are not real)

Rear "bonnet is open" and top cover is off for engine repairs.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I managed to find the Like button; new to me in a way. Keep up the good work.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
newest video -- short segments. Some tdi content but all Vw content except a "blurb" on ford spark plug blowout which I fixed a week or so ago.

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
newest video -- refridgerant control valve diagnosis and replacement. (Its on a 2.0L but 1.9L ALH uses the same compressor and removal is even easier from the bottom on ALH.)

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice work, Richard. I watched the following parasitic drain video also; I may invest in one of those PDI CA-60 clamp attachments. You have some very nice tools.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
newest video involves a CR TDi. Not super high tech but its quick and to the point.

I have another more high tech CR tdi video coming but I'm having some trouble with editing software.

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
This video is about a CR Tdi as well. Some lost footage but all the diagnosis info is still there.

Had trouble with the editing software. Each time I would finish editing the entire video it would not save. I did this three times at about 2 hours each. 4th time I was able to get it to save.,

Last edited: