NOT doing the BUY BACK on my TDI

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
VW will be adjusting the value of all buybacks for mileage. If you drive less than 12,500 miles/year, your value will (slowly) go up. .
Not true in all cases. My '15 Passat is already at the top window for low mileage. No more money even if I park it for 2 years.

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Selling back my 13 Passat, keeping the Wife's 14 Passat. They are great cars, but the 13's extended warranty is up in 15k, wife's extended is good for 60k more.

Sent from my New Note 7

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My plan right now is to wait and see what the fix is for the JSW. If it doesn't hurt the performance too much, I'll take the $5100, get the fix and look at giving it to one of the kids. If the perfomance is too far off, I'll take the almost $15k at that time.

apaterso

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
I wasn't going to do the buyback, but after oil change I'm being told that I need around 1.5k in parts/labor for various issues. I'm not putting anymore money into a 2015 car that's had way more issues than it should. Done with VW. It also helps that my daily commute may change from 80 miles to 8 miles. No real need for a TDI if that happens.
Bingo!! My commute has steadily dropped from 40 to 15 to 1 mile in the time I've owned my TDI. It needs a ton of high cost 120K+ maintenance (over 5K if you believe the dealership) doesn't seem worth it. VW wants it for $12K they can have it.

It was nice while it lasted.......

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
What needs replacing out of pocket on a 15? Or did you drive 36k miles the first year??

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
First off, why would anyone go to the dealership for routine maintenance considering how much it costs there. Also most maintenance can be done by the owner, including the DSG tranny, it is easy. The first time cost for the Vagcom cable tranny oil, filter, and fill hose setup, is about what VW charges for the tranny service. I have always done mine but due to being shutdown for maintenance at work very busy, so had an independent shop service the tranny for $325.00 vs the dealer wanting over $500.00. So yes it can be expensive, but I saved almost $200.00 by not going to the dealer.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There are already many threads and derailed threads about where some people choose to do or have their service done. This thread doesn't need to trun into another one.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
I'm keeping mine..... '12 A3 with 87k miles on it that I stole for only 12grand back in jan. It's now got 120k and still going strong and so fun to drive I'll get a stage 2 and dpf delete with the money and really have fun then ?

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
I'm keeping mine..... '12 A3 with 87k miles on it that I stole for only 12grand back in jan. It's now got 120k and still going strong and so fun to drive I'll get a stage 2 and dpf delete with the money and really have fun then ?
don't know what trim yours is, but that seems like money well-spent. hoping for fix $ for the gen 1ers so i can do the same and keep it for ages

dzlvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagen
Restitution cash without fix?

Seems many are planning to collect the restitution cash without getting their cars "fixed". I didn't know that was an option, but it's exactly what I'd prefer doing as my '09 JSW has 134,500 on it & runs great. So, my question is how to obtain the restitution settlement without the "fix". Anyone got the answer to that?

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
No buyBack and No Fix; Options?

So VW has not answered the following:

What options does an owner have if they are NOT going to participate in the Buy Back Program and a fix is NOT available? When do we get our money?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible

What options does an owner have if they are NOT going to participate in the Buy Back Program and a fix is NOT available? When do we get our money?
No buyback, no fix, no money.

You seem to forget the program is not all about you. Its about getting non conforming cars either fixed, or off the road entirely. If you want money, you will have to sell back if no fix is available.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yes, they have. They answered it on 6/28 when the proposed settlements were made public. If you do not sell the car back, and do not have the car fixed, you get nothing. Pretty simple, really. Not sure why you're uncertain about this four months later.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
Its a premium plus. i plan on getting the " fix" then taking it to the shop in winchester the next day after i get my check from audi. then have them pull all the crap back out im hoping to get 300k miles out of it like my other other diesels ive had.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Seems many are planning to collect the restitution cash without getting their cars "fixed". I didn't know that was an option, but it's exactly what I'd prefer doing as my '09 JSW has 134,500 on it & runs great. So, my question is how to obtain the restitution settlement without the "fix". Anyone got the answer to that?
Yes. The answer is, you don't take the fix = you have opted out, you get $0.00.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. The answer is, you don't take the fix = you have opted out, you get $0.00.
Not exactly. To opt out, you need to take the affirmative step of opting out (the deadline for which passed on 9/16, unless and until VW announces that there won't be a fix, in which case you get another period of time in which you can opt out), which preserves your ability to pursue an action on your own. If you simply do nothing, you're just a class member who never filed a claim, and you aren't eligible to pursue an action on your own.

dzlvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagen
Still time to wait and see

I think the settlement docs said that owners have until Sept, 2018, to make a final decision. Soooooooo, looks like I keep driving until 9/18 at which time VW can scratch me a reader for $13K and I'll make a determination to either put it towards another set of wheels or bank it.?

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I'd keep mine if I didn't already have a HPFP failure and hadn't seen others with 2-3 failures. And with VW's lack of addressing that issue in a satisfactory way... that's the only thing that has soured me on this car.

dzlvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagen
Allowed to change

I was informed by the settlement rep at the dealership here that we can elect to do a fix or a buyback on the day we actually meet with a rep to make a final decision. At least that's what he told me. I had opted for the fix but later received the request from VW for more info docs a few weeks ago and those seemed aimed more at a buyback. Think I'll check with the rep again just to be sure.

Bobman58

TDI
2015 glf sport wagon sel
I've got a ?
Option 1)My 15 Golf SW buyback seems to be almost exactly what my note is for. So basically they will pay off my loan and take my car and I get to walk home and go shop for something else. The only thing I get out of the deal is a free car for a year.

Option 2) I hang onto the car till the last day and then have them pay it off. meanwhile I have to look at the payments as sort of rent. ( I'm assuming of course that CARB is never going to approve a fix. I have to believe they will not accept pfroducing any more emissions than what they were supposed to have been made with. Just my opinion, of course)

If I go through the " modify" process, can I get the compensation payment now and use the money nail such time they announce no modification will be forethcoming?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Fix for your '15 is already undergoing testing. Likelihood of it being approved is unknown, but VW has already negotiated more generous emissions limits with the EPA.

If it ends up that no fix is approved, you won't get any restitution. You'll be offered the buyback at that time.

And IMO driving a new car for a year for free isn't nothing.

Bobman58

TDI
2015 glf sport wagon sel
Well I guess free isn't exactly right either. Since I've already paid over $6K in payments in the first year and will pay the same in the next. So I will have invested $12K in two years and will walk away with nothing. I'm sure I could've leased it for less and the result would be the same when I turned it in. So it still feels like we're getting screwed over and unless we want to opt out and sue VW on our own I guess we just smile and try to think of something else while we take it.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I guess free isn't exactly right either. Since I've already paid over $6K in payments in the first year and will pay the same in the next. So I will have invested $12K in two years and will walk away with nothing.
...other than the vast majority of your $12k back, unless the loan is at a ridiculous interest rate. You realize that the balance of the loan decreases as you pay it, right?

Or you drive the car for two more years, by which time you'll have paid three years on the loan, and then sell it back. The buyback amount will still be the same, give or take any mileage adjustment from driving more or less than 12500 miles/year. You'll be getting very close to new MSRP for a four model-year-old car.

Or you realize that your assumption that CARB will reject any fix out of hand, when they've already agreed to increased emissions by the affected vehicles, is not entirely consistent with reality.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Well I guess free isn't exactly right either. Since I've already paid over $6K in payments in the first year and will pay the same in the next. So I will have invested $12K in two years and will walk away with nothing. I'm sure I could've leased it for less and the result would be the same when I turned it in. So it still feels like we're getting screwed over and unless we want to opt out and sue VW on our own I guess we just smile and try to think of something else while we take it.
Please explain to us how you could make 12k in payments and still owe more than its worth. Give us your MSRP how much your total loan was and how much is your buyback. This just doesn't ring true. Even if you put all your taxes and fees and paid full MSRP if you paid 12k towards car you should get money back.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG

You'll get your 6k back (minus interest paid) coming buyback time, assuming you drive no more than 1042 mile a month in average(well assuming you are at an exact 5k mile threshold now).

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Please explain to us how you could make 12k in payments and still owe more than its worth. Give us your MSRP how much your total loan was and how much is your buyback. This just doesn't ring true. Even if you put all your taxes and fees and paid full MSRP if you paid 12k towards car you should get money back.
Could have been upside down on a trade in, and that amount was rolled into his loan. We have seen that before on this forum.