If there is a Buyback..What would it take for you get out of your TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindamh

TDI
1981 Chevette (deceased), 2002 Jetta Wagen Silver (sold), 2011 Jetta Wagen Gold
VW Recall

I was not aware of the controversy on the emissions on TDI's til I read this posting. My heart sank when I saw my 2011 Jetta Sportwagen is included. Now I'm worried about the emissions; if we choose not to do the emissions upgrade, will inspection stations require proof to complete inspections; our resale value just tanked. I would consider a Subaru (NE weather and a higher road height) but am still paying on my Jetta.
To make it worse, I have been lording it over anti-diesel owners for years! Now I have to eat crow.
Instead of a fine of $37,500 per car (which goes to the agency), why don't they just offer each owner original value and take the car back. The balance of the fine can go to the agency. Then VW can deal with the recall and resale instead of the customers.

Last edited:

TDI Tampa

TDI
2011 Jetta
I have a black 2011 Jetta, mint condition, just getting ready to turn 117k; In addition have always maintained the vehicle according to VW standards and recommendations. I recently had the Timing Belt/water pump and (DPF) replaced, as everyone knows"big bucks." Although maintenance is high I LOVE this car, never owned an American or Japanese car that drove and handled and got the mileage this vehicle gets. I hope they (VWA) can make it right because if there is a major reduction in fuel economy it kind of defeats the purpose of owning this type of vehicle.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Yep, the government will collect a huge fine and we will get a coupon good for 5 oil changes on your next VW purchase........

That said, just for the heck of it.....It would take a lot......I have one year of payments left and since TDI's are held up at the moment, I'm not sure that I would be interested in trading. If they wanted to swap even up, I would find something most likely. Absolute tops would be $3-$5000 back out of my pocket. That would most likely be giving me somewhere around $25k for my 2012 with 60,000 miles.

Lindamh

TDI
1981 Chevette (deceased), 2002 Jetta Wagen Silver (sold), 2011 Jetta Wagen Gold
Just a thought -- In March I went for inspection on my 2011 Jetta Wagen (~37000 miles) and needed a glow point so was rejected. Usually takes 100 miles for some cars to be ready for re-inspection (so I'm told). After several tries, I called the dealer who told me I had to drive on the highway for at least 50 miles (which I already had) and had to drive the car every day. VW told me they never heard of this issue before. I finally drove over 60 miles on the highway again. I went back 5 times until I finally could pass inspection -over 1000 miles before the computer would reset. Frustrating - Any connection to this? (rhetorical)

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
My car holds more value to me than the FMV, however you want to calculate it. Once bought, it's bought to give me 10+ years of service like my NB.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
If VW throws in the towel on TDI's there is also the possibility that the value of our cars go way up.

Slothy

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDI
If VW throws in the towel on TDI's there is also the possibility that the value of our cars go way up.

If VWoA does as you say, I could see this in a few years. But right now, we would all be taking huge hits on our resale until the dust settles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Agree. Id expect the short term result is increased inventory on the market as people not entirely familiar/educated with the situation begin stepping away from VW in general. Inventory at dealerships should increase also via trade-ins. How much more were the MK4 TDI's selling for by 2009 after VW pulled the TDI out of the US market for a few years ? ..and that was without a "perceived" problem with them.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
I am looking at the bright side, I had 127K of better milage. I think all we will see (in reality) is maybe a $2-3K trade incentive -or- $1K-1500 gift card for service or something if you want to keep you car. Oh and the neutering of the car.

The Jalopnik story is pretty good. It is interesting that VW was denying this for a year to the EPA, it reminds me of a Priest getting caught with a FILL IN THE BLANK.

Torkr

TDI
2010 JSW 68k mi - traded for a GOLF TSI
Trade-in Values

I'm not sure if this has been noted previously on the forum, but the NY Times is reporting today that VW dealers are not selling used 4 cylinder diesels either, which does not bode well for trade-in values, at least until they get the recall sorted out. :(

dieseldave59

TDI
2010 tdi wagon manual
VW Diesel recall

I sell VW for a living and I recently purchased a 2010 tdi JSW manual. I probably won't have the software updated.We don't have diesel emissions in PA. Still very embarrassing when customers call and want me to comment... To all VW USA employees, chin up!!!

dieseldave59

TDI
2010 tdi wagon manual
Still Loyal to VW!
I've owned: 1970 Type 3 manual
1999 Mk 3 Jetta auto traded at 299900 miles
2002 Mk 4 1.8t manual traded in with 236K miles
current car 2010 tdi JSW manual 66K CPO pano roof 17" alloys

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Still Loyal to VW!
I've owned: 1970 Type 3 manual
1999 Mk 3 Jetta auto traded at 299900 miles
2002 Mk 4 1.8t manual traded in with 236K miles
current car 2010 tdi JSW manual 66K CPO pano roof 17" alloys
No one makes a better daily drivers car.

Again folks we are in a wait and see point of the story.

Though this has really been the first time since I bought my car that I've seriously considered getting something else. As if the hpfp, intercooler icing or DPF failing weren't enough to worry about.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I would be happy with private party blue book value.

Guaranteed trade-in value or a credit toward the purchase of a new VW, not interested. Next vehicle won't be a VW.:rolleyes:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
So if there's a buyback, what about us folks that already have the DPF deleted? Are we going to have to put all that crap back in?

I took my DPF out at 37k miles because the POS cracked...

But, I will take market value and walk away tomorrow if they offered. I'd then use the money as a down payment for a Challenger or Charger Hellcat since I don't need to commute 2 hours one way to work anymore (I walk to the office now).

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
So if there's a buyback, what about us folks that already have the DPF deleted? Are we going to have to put all that crap back in?

But, I will take market value and walk away tomorrow if they offered. I'd then use the money as a down payment for a Challenger or Charger Hellcat since I don't need to commute 2 hours one way to work anymore (I walk to the office now).
I'd do a buy back if they offered original sticker price for the car. Take a couple parts off and sell them and then take that almost $30k and put it down a new Golf R and finance the rest. It would get less MPG but would be more fun to drive and go great with my TTRS. ?

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
I know this is just speculation (and who knows what will happen up here in the Great White North) but before anyone gets excited over any cash payout, Honda owners that were awarded a settlement in 2009 for 2003-2008 Hybrid Civics getting lower mileage than advertised got $1000 on a new Honda or $500 dealer credit...
Yeh, curious how this will impact us Canadians. Maybe we will get a free VW toque and a beer cooler.

blimo

TDI
2009 Jetta ScrapWagon TDI
Buy VW, be happy?

VW ought to want to do more than just make its car's owners "whole." They need to repair brand damage and restore owner trust in the company and brand. If any re-flash diminishes the value and performance of the vehicles below the specifications on new sale or resale, an alternative should be offered:

--buyback at 125% FMV, or

--trade-in credit at 200% FMV (up to replacement vehicle MSRP) toward any new VW car or SUV.

That would be a reasonable offer.
A reasonable offer wouldn't be limited to a trade-in credit for future VW products. Buy elsewhere, don't worry!

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I'm 1/2 way through my payments, I don't want another 5 years of payments. I'd have to get into a new car, with the same # and $ as my current payment for me to switch.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Please don't lose your s**t. Calm down, take deep breaths no was
murdered. It is OK. There is no buy back now and it is unlikely ever in my
opinion. Even if there was it would be at market value, which is not going
to make you rich or make your deprecation go away. I don

The car is still great, fun to drive and efficient,t. I don't want a buy back.
Relax. It will play out and life will go on. Far worse things can happen in l
life. This soon shall pass.

jayemdaet

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
My 2 cents as a TDI owner

VW ought to want to do more than just make its car's owners "whole." They need to repair brand damage and restore owner trust in the company and brand. If any re-flash diminishes the value and performance of the vehicles below the specifications on new sale or resale, an alternative should be offered:

--buyback at 125% FMV, or

--trade-in credit at 200% FMV (up to replacement vehicle MSRP) toward any new VW car or SUV.

That would be a reasonable offer.
There has been a lot of talk of a full purchase price buyback using California law as an example. In California, you can not legally sell a vehicle that does not pass emissions. I know this for a fact as I bought a used car once from a car lot where the catalytic converter had a problem and I was entitled to all my money back (devaluation isn't a consideration) or have them fix the issue out of their pocket. Perhaps California may enact such a deal, who knows.

Your idea of trade-in credit of 200% is fine by me as long as I can apply it to VW, Audi or Porsche.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
Toyota had a generous buyback of the Tacoma with rusted frames which was 150% of the KBB.

I would think about a buyback if it was generous, because my wife regrets not buying the DSG (her knee bothers her from time to time driving 6MT). The offer would need to be around what I paid for her car though (I bought it less than one year ago. Normally I plan to keep a car for 10 years.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive

But, I will take market value and walk away tomorrow if they offered.
If you've already tampered with emissions equipment I don't think you should be illegible for anything.

The vultures are circling already. The lawyers want to get their cut of VW's money. The actual people in the "class" will get a $2.57 check (or something like that). This is not the first law firm to jump into this fray.

Have Fun!

Don
Hey now, don't be so pessimistic! I just received an $11 dollar check from a class action suit I didn't realize I was part of. Probably signed up on the internet a couple years ago for an LCD or DVD suit.

I don't personally want a buyout but if I could get into an e-golf for near my current payments I'd consider it. I already went in for the ECU flash last month during our oil change, which might have been a mistake in retrospect.

ALBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sport Wagon
Your idea of trade-in credit of 200% is fine by me as long as I can apply it to VW, Audi or Porsche.

ABSOLUTELY!!! The wife and I have been toying with the idea of swapping the JSW for an Audi Q7 TDI for about a year. Was planning on waiting until next year but this would get me to pull the trigger right NOW. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.