First time tuner

dunxxx

TDI
2002 Golf 4 door
I have a 2002 Golf TDI 5 speed with around 138k miles.
I'm looking at the Malone Stage 3 tune. Along with the South Bend Stage 2 clutch.

Not sure on which nozzles I'd go with. Either Race 520's or the PP764's seems to be the standard route.

This will be a daily driver but I'm looking for a moderately aggressive tune. An additional 40-60 hp and 75-80 ft/lb of torque would be an ideal goal.

Right now there is a check engine light that's been identified as a glow plug relay I believe? Doesn't effect the car as its been on for the past 3 years or so. Would having this CEL effect the tune in any way? Would a new tune clear the codes?

Thanks for the help!

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
X2 for a plug for Matt ... + he will be able to advise you, help you with the clutch, injector swap and any other mods you may want ... Highly recommend Matt.. check out my golf build thread by clicking on the link [FONT=&quot] 03 Golf Build Thread [/FONT] below ... Matt did much of that work. Good Luck going down this slippery slope

Last edited:

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
I have a 09 jetta TDI. Wanting to put a lil exra pep into it. What are the best upgrades and in what order do I need to do them? Not looking for Malone tunes or major stuff as of yett. Just quick power/ MPG adders.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
I have a 09 jetta TDI. Wanting to put a lil exra pep into it. What are the best upgrades and in what order do I need to do them? Not looking for Malone tunes or major stuff as of yett. Just quick power/ MPG adders.
Just tune it.... it WILL be quick power and added MPG's..... best bang for your buck.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Lots of people report it right away but I think its just excitement from what the MFA says when they drive home :)
I have gotten plenty of long term reports of minor increases with just a tune.

The only way to get a good increase is illegal exhaust mods but that's off-limits on this forum.