Jetta TDI a good buy still?

Wranglin4Life

TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi
Hey guys. I have had 2 jetta TDI's in the past but that was pre scandal and payouts and all.

I am interested in getting back into one.

I found a "certified" 2015 with 16k miles.

http://sharrett.com/used-volkswagen-jetta-20l-tdi-2015-hagerstown-md-7874-0

What I would like to know... are they still a good car post scandal? Is this a good price? Will the market be flooded with them soon now that they are back? I've just recently. Priced them hitting the market again. Any advice would be great.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Sure, they're a great car.

While it's under warranty, you have no worries. After that, just be aware that there are some expensive systems under the hood, which you wouldn't find on your average gas-powered econo-box.

A good rule of thumb for any car is to just assume it needs $1000 dumped into it every year to keep it going. Maybe not every year, but cumulatively it kind of works out. So if you go for ten years without any repairs, then you have $10,000 to fix whatever comes up. (I'm looking at you, high pressure fuel pump ;) )

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If it fits your needs, then it's a good buy. From other posts on here, I think that the engine changes in 2015 eliminated some of the issues of the earlier CR engines. Pricing looks to be slightly on the high side (+$1000) compared to used ones here in Charlotte but regional differences can make up that difference.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think 2015s (and TDIs in general) will struggle to hold their resale value. That's fine if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, but it's definitely something to consider when deciding on a new vehicle.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The one thing that tips this into the 'buy' column is the manual if that's what you prefer.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A big NO on the 2009 to 2014 CR's and the MK7 EA288 I would say that the jury is still out because it does have some pretty stupid expensive technology.

Even my PD MK5 from an economics stand point probably isn't any better than a gasser. At least the maintenance the MK5's require will not go mid-evil on your bank account like the VW CR Diesel's can. If I didn't do my own maintenance and in a competent manner, my PD MK5 would have been gone a long time ago.

In a nutshell, I would say that the non PD MK4's are the last TDI's that were a good buy. Remember that "a good buy" and a car I really like owning are two different things.

The soon to be imported Mazda SkyActive-D (Diesel) may have some promise. Combustion is controlled in such a way that NOX post treatment isn't necessary and really that is a big deal because a lot of VW's recent problems have to do with post treating NOX.

Last edited:

Wranglin4Life

TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi
My reasoning for heading back to the diesel is the MPG. I drive 2200-2500 miles per month and I am currently spending $300-$400/mo in gas.

I do love driving manual, which is another reason I'm looking for another car.

I undersatand every car is a risk, more or less I don't want Tom it something and then in a year it's worth half because of this scandal stuff. I doubt that would happen as the values haven't seemed to suffer to much from the scandal.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Hey guys. I have had 2 jetta TDI's in the past but that was pre scandal and payouts and all.

What I would like to know... are they still a good car post scandal? Is this a good price? Will the market be flooded with them soon now that they are back? I've just recently. Priced them hitting the market again. Any advice would be great.
This "So called Scandal" has no bearing on the actual vehicle itself. All this did was when they cars were put on a dynometer for testing the car's computer knew that if ONLY the driving wheels were powered and the rear wheels were not moving it went into a different mode for testing.

As for a used Jetta or any other car, my thoughts on that are this. If this particular car is so good why is it being sold by a 3rd party used car seller? In other words if it was traded in at a VW or other major car dealer if they found something wrong with it they dumped the car at a car auction. Probably not worth their while to do any necessary repairs to it. They did not want to stake their reputation selling the car.

Last edited:

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I say ,yes they are still a great car! I bought a new 2011 with the idea of driving it for 500,000 miles or so. Then the ridiculous political garbage hit the fan. I was going to wait for the 'fix' (why fix something what's not broken?!) but when the unsold 2015's were released for sale I went for the buyback and got one nearly identical to my 2011 for less than the buyback amount! I couldn't pass up this gift from VW--turned in a 6 year old car with almost 95,000 miles for a new one with improved engine and the special warranty and only paid sales tax (if you factor in the original $1,000 good will amount, even part of the sales tax was paid for!).
By the way, the price on this used one is about $100 more than I paid for my brand new one with 101 miles on it.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
This "So called Scandal" has no bearing on the actual vehicle itself. All this did was when they cars were put on a dynometer for testing the car's computer knew that if ONLY the driving wheels were powered and the rear wheels were not moving it went into a different mode for testing.
As for a used Jetta or any other car, my thoughts on that are this. If this particular car is so good why is it being sold by a 3rd party used car seller? In other words if it was traded in at a VW or other major car dealer if they found something wrong with it they dumped the car at a car auction. Probably not worth their while to do any necessary repairs to it. They did not want to stake their reputation selling the car.
So non-dealership used TDIs were dumped? What is this opinion based on?
Used cars go to auction for many reasons including the dealer needs the space.
I got my 2012 A3 (pre-scandal) from a used car seller. A great car in great shape.

Wranglin4Life

TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi
I say ,yes they are still a great car! I bought a new 2011 with the idea of driving it for 500,000 miles or so. Then the ridiculous political garbage hit the fan. I was going to wait for the 'fix' (why fix something what's not broken?!) but when the unsold 2015's were released for sale I went for the buyback and got one nearly identical to my 2011 for less than the buyback amount! I couldn't pass up this gift from VW--turned in a 6 year old car with almost 95,000 miles for a new one with improved engine and the special warranty and only paid sales tax (if you factor in the original $1,000 good will amount, even part of the sales tax was paid for!).
By the way, the price on this used one is about $100 more than I paid for my brand new one with 101 miles on it.
I am trying to do the math on this but it's not making much sense to me. I don't own an existing Jetta TDI so I'm not going to get any kind of special trade in or anything. This is just a used one on a lot. Certified so I get a 2 yr or 24k warranty, likely the 24k before the 2 years but I still get the 5 yr 60k power train. I'm assuming I can buy an extended warranty but those have never paid off for me. Most of the used ones are around this same price. I'm trying to figure out if this one is a decent price or not. Should I wait for additional inventory to come in?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Do a search and see if there are any new ones in your area. Might end up being about the same money with less miles. With the fix, VW had to offer a different warranty on the engine and emissions parts. I'm not sure what that is on the 15s but it's pretty sweet on the 09-14s. The only difference then between new and used would be the bumper to bumper.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The "so called scandal," as you put it, has a very real impact on a TDI vehicle's value, operational characteristics, and warranty. These are important things to consider for any potential buyer.

Wranglin4Life

TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi
So is there anything wrong with leftover 2014 models if they are brand new? Someone earlier was saying 09-14 CR's... what's that?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The "so called scandal," as you put it, has a very real impact on a TDI vehicle's value, operational characteristics, and warranty. These are important things to consider for any potential buyer.
I had a 2002 Jetta TDI and moved to a 2015 Passat TDI a year ago. Do you think I could have given two hoots as for value. I'll probably keep the Passat until either it dies or I do.

If your intention is to buy a new car very other year, then a Diesel with the premium charged over a gasser should not be your choice. A Diesel, not just a VW TDI, is a longer term investment/purchase for this very reason.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There are no new 2014's only left over 2015's from dieselgate. You can't beat the 11 year 162k mile warranty they come with either. I would consider a new one and bought a 2015 left over Beetle. I may buy another car if there are any left.

Wranglin4Life

TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi
I had a 2002 Jetta TDI and moved to a 2015 Passat TDI a year ago. Do you think I could have given two hoots as for value. I'll probably keep the Passat until either it dies or I do.

If your intention is to buy a new car very other year, then a Diesel with the premium charged over a gasser should not be your choice. A Diesel, not just a VW TDI, is a longer term investment/purchase for this very reason.
That makes sense but obviously no one can tell the future and you never know whats going to happen.

Think about it this way... you pay 20k for a car, because of scandal or whatever the value tanks to 8-10k... You get in a an accident 1 year later and still owe 18k on it.... insurance company doesn't care what you owe, they care about the value. Then your stuck with a huge deficit. Hope you got GAP coverage.

Even though you don't plan to offload it, thats not the only way you can get caught owing a bunch on it. The value makes a difference in more than 1 way.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I suppose the difference is that I do not owe anything on my car. Not to VW or a bank etc.

I've been driving longer than most on this board are in age and have never ever had but one minor accident which was my fault. So I do not have any worries about that either. Plus I drive in three different countries every year so have an acute awareness of what traffic is around me. ;)

Wranglin4Life

TDI
2012 Jetta Tdi
There are no new 2014's only left over 2015's from dieselgate. You can't beat the 11 year 162k mile warranty they come with either. I would consider a new one and bought a 2015 left over Beetle. I may buy another car if there are any left.

Which ones come with that warranty? Would it be that way on a used one?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That is only for the new ones. It goes from the in service date. So if you buy a used one it is minus the miles it already has on it. It is spelled out in the settlement document. Mine had 244 miles on it. If I were looking at used I would favor getting one from a VW dealer and not another used car dealer. Phase 1 fix should have been done already before sale. Some have been getting estimates for work needed before the fix can be done. Read the settlement document though. With the $5k discount and 0% financing new was attractive to me.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

That's all well and good. There are a lot of TDI enthusiasts who keep them until the wheels fall off... we have a 1999 Jetta with 300,000+ miles on it. There are also a lot of average car buyers who keep things for ten years and move on. For those folks, resale value is important.

So unless you're suggesting that the only people who should be buying post-Dieselgate TDIs are the keep-it-forever enthusiasts, I think it's good to provide enough information for people to make informed car-buying decisions.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Resale value is an unknown with these cars. It's probably wise to assume that they'll depreciate more than most, especially for higher mileage cars when the emissions warranty expires or is close to expiring. Buyers may fear a possible expensive repair, and shop for something else.

As far as the car goes, I think the '15 Jetta is a nice vehicle, and the engine, even post-fix, runs well and delivers excellent fuel economy. I's a more complex car than older TDIs in many ways (not just the drivetrain) which makes it more pleasant to drive but also potentially more expensive to maintain.

There are those of us who love diesels and don't want to drive anything else, but I don't think that TDIs are necessarily the best value right now. If you drive a lot and plan to keep the car a long time the economics probably look better, but the real reason to buy a '15 is because you want one, IMO.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's all well and good. There are a lot of TDI enthusiasts who keep them until the wheels fall off... we have a 1999 Jetta with 300,000+ miles on it. There are also a lot of average car buyers who keep things for ten years and move on. For those folks, resale value is important.
That is exactly what I am insinuating !!! :eek:
Lets face it who really will buy a ten year old or older car. I had a 2002 Jetta TDI and the only reason I bought the 2015 Passat is because I could not see VW ever selling anymore DIESELS in North America.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Resale value is an unknown with these cars. It's probably wise to assume that they'll depreciate more than most, especially for higher mileage cars when the emissions warranty expires or is close to expiring. Buyers may fear a possible expensive repair, and shop for something else.

As far as the car goes, I think the '15 Jetta is a nice vehicle, and the engine, even post-fix, runs well and delivers excellent fuel economy. I's a more complex car than older TDIs in many ways (not just the drivetrain) which makes it more pleasant to drive but also potentially more expensive to maintain.

There are those of us who love diesels and don't want to drive anything else, but I don't think that TDIs are necessarily the best value right now. If you drive a lot and plan to keep the car a long time the economics probably look better, but the real reason to buy a '15 is because you want one, IMO.
Well said, Peter.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Another thing likely to affect resale value is the continuing emissions standards. EXPECT increasing pressure to get rid of diesels (yeah, it's happening). I don't like this, but it's the world we live in. I have five diesel cars (and a bunch of other diesels); none of these were purchased with an eye toward resale value because I KNEW/KNOW that that's a big crapshoot; of course, they were all over 10 years old when I bought them: I'm one of the "run them into the ground" types; squeeze out as much embedded energy as possible!

Unless one is really using one of the newer ones (lots of miles) then the cost premium just doesn't seem to pen out: some folks have great records on cost/mile basis for older ALHs and it's more than clear that over the long haul the FE factors in in a HUGE way. But as IBW stated, if it's what you want then that's the reason.

timmyc4

TDI
2013 Passat, 2006 Jetta w/Malone, 97 Passat Sedan TDI, 88 Jetta N/A
You've heard the saying... "There's no Stupid Questions"? Well.... the original post IS a Stupid question !.... Do you still ask your mommy and daddy for car advice too? Here's another question to ask... "Do any of you think the price of Silver or Gold will go up in the next year cause I'm looking for advice to buy some.....!

I mean you wonder why people can't even change their own oil, an air filter... get's old...
And why are good people answering?
This website is ALL ABOUT WHY THESE ARE GOOD MACHINES !!!
but nope.... the OP can't figure it out ON HIS OWN.... we have to hand hold....awwwwwee.....too bad.

How about this... Do you think the New Coke tastes as good as the old one, I mean... should I take the big chance and buy it?

IF The shoe fits WEAR IT and enjoy the ride.
I'm NEVER Getting Rid of My TDI !

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the OP's question is entirely legitimate. We have callers ask this all the time. A 2015 is nothing like a 2002, and if the OP hasn't been around TDIs for a while it's worthwhile to find out what people think are good and bad about the new cars.

This is an internet forum. People ask for opinions. I guess whether or not a question is stupid is also an opinion, but in this case I respectfully disagree.