www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old February 26th, 2003, 08:33   #1
Seaweed

Default I want a Passat V6 2.5L TDI to drive in the US

I rented at TDI Passat wagon while in Germany on a business trip. It was the V6 2.5L TDI version. It was quite impressive. I want to have this car new or used.

Does anyone know how to get one to the US? Is it legal (emmissions)? Is it expensive to do? Where should I go or who should I talk to?
Seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 15:20   #2
snoopis
Veteran Member

Default Re: I want a Passat V6 2.5L TDI to drive in the US

Check out this thread.

2001 V6 TDI w/6-spd 4Mo
snoopis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 14:28   #3
mattjex

It wouldn't be so bad if you had never driven one, and didn't know what you were missing out on!!
I really love my V6TDI, and couldn't really ask more of it (well maybe a few more mpg, but hey, it could be my lead foot that causes that!)

I think that we are fairly lucky in the UK that we get them fairly soon after they are realeased in mainland europe, but there are cases where certain VAG divisions will not let specific models into the UK... Such as the 150BHP Seat Leon, or the Leon Cupra 4 (4wd 2.8 petrol v6)
...So all in all we are spoilt a little, but by no means do we get everything we want!
mattjex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 14:36   #4
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Default I want a Passat V6 2.5L TDI to drive in the US

Quote:

Does anyone know how to get one to the US? Is it legal (emmissions)? Is it expensive to do? Where should I go or who should I talk to?
seaweed, be prepared to write a check...a very large check.

previous discussion
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 16:03   #5
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

1. I don't think it's NHTSA that cares, it's the DOT. Way back when, the way to deal with this was to have US-spec'ed parts (bumpers, instrument panel, lights, etc) installed on the vehicle here. Once installed, the car became a US car as far as the DOT was concerned.

2. The EPA also an issue. Once again, in the old days you would install any additional US-style pollution equipment necessary (air injection, cat, whatever). You then had to get the car to an EPA-approved lab (not your local emissions test station) and have it tested. This could cost a few thousand bucks and there is no guarantee that it would pass. If it did, you were set by the EPA.

3. You would have to pay a customs fee. I forget, 15% of the value of the vehicle? Something like that.

If you remember the movie 'Rainman', Tom's character was importing Ferraris for resale, basically doing the same thing. I read an article in the paper a few months ago about folks locally trying to bring in Porches, MBs and other high end cars that aren't sold here. Their problems were (as I remember) with the EPA taking months to deal with their certifications during which they could not license or use their cars.

Bottom line: It can be done, but it's expensive, and generally not worth it for cars like this.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:12   #6
jjvincent
Veteran Member

Back in the 80's it was MUCH easier to import euro spec cars. Since the DM was weak compared to the Dollar, euro spec cars were cheaper than their US counterpart. There was a flood of these Grey Market cars back then. Most of them were junkers that couldn't pass inspection in Germany. Then the cars sat on a boat for a month (coming to the US) and it started to rust out everything underneith the car (euro cars werent sprayed with cosmoline). The importers would buy one set of parts to convert 20 similar cars. He would put the parts on one car and get it certified. Keep changing the parts over until all 20 are done. Most people who bought those cars ended up getting in trouble down the road. Many wouldn't pass emissions and many had rusted out exhausts. Just go price the complete exhaust for a Porsche 930 and you'll see how the great deal for the car didn't look so great. Since the importers were passing one over on the EPA and NHTSA (by not converting the cars). Guess what, the rules started changing by the late 80's and it made it so expensive to get a car converted that it was not economically viable.

The place in Santa Fe NM that imported G-Wagens legally charged a premium for the vehicles. The could import 50 per year and the cost of a conversion was around 40K. As you can see, a V6 TDI Passat can be imported, but only someone with money coming out of their "you know what" would do it. Look at the previous discussions and actually call some of the importers. Import that V6 TDI Passat and then come back and let us know how much time and money it took to do it.

In addition, you'll have to prove to the DOT that the parts on the euro Passat are the exact same as in the US model. This can include complete bumper assemblies, lights, windows, airbag system, interior switches, seat belts, tires, brake lines and probably some other things. Whatever parts that are not the same (usually designated by part numbers) has to be changed to US spec. As you can see, this can take a while and can start to cost a small fortune. By the time you're done you could probably buy a second car with the money that you spent for the conversion.

I just wish someone would do this. It would be neat to read about it. I just don't want to spend my money. I'm just too cheap.
jjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 15:00   #7
Steve York UK
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Avg 47mpg (imp)

Why not bring one in as a tourist on foreign plates? Surely this is allowed in the US (the old Soviet Union used to allow it)?

Then, while touring the US some dastardly brigand swaps your nice diesel motor for a gas engine while you are asleep. Dismayed, you return to Germany (or wherever) and sell the car.

Somebody in the States has got your nice V6 diesel engine and is driving around pretending to be in a gasoline engined car.

Would he get caught?

Steve
Steve York UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2017, 10:29   #8
Norwescan

Fuel Economy: 51 Imperial MPG

I have a 2002 Audi S4 Avant Quattro 6 speed manual with V6 Tdi AKE 180hp in Canada left coast. I bought it recently in Aschauffenberg Germany with 137,000 kms. It a factory ordered tuned by Königseder.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134406.../shares/q831jX
Norwescan is offline   Reply With Quote