www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old September 19th, 2017, 21:19   #1
Norwescan

Fuel Economy: 51 Imperial MPG
Default Audi S4 Tdi Avant B6 AKE V6 2.5L 2002 - long crank

Hiya, I have zero experience on V6 Tdi 2.5L with VP44 I/p and I'm pretty sure this is the first car here in North America as I brought it over from Germany. My son complained of a long crank on cold and I decided to hook up my VCDS (professional) to peer at the Tdi timing (basic settings group 004) and chose Tdi timing and it is way retarded but I noticed it cycled between base timing and it advanced to way advanced and kept cycling.

Never seen VCDS do this on any ALH / AHU engines that I've worked on. I'm pretty sure the long crank is due to the retarded Start of Injection and I have bought all the jigs to do the Timing Belts. Has anyone seen this cycling in VCDS Tdi timing?

Cheers!

Last edited by Norwescan; September 19th, 2017 at 21:22.
Norwescan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 05:53   #2
Norwescan

Fuel Economy: 51 Imperial MPG

Update - it was about 4 degrees retarded and I dialed it in to slightly advanced of mid line in TDI timing graph and the long crank went away. Need to ignore it when it kicks it to 15 degrees advanced as it does cycle and return to base timing.

Now that long crank has gone away, I'm turning my attention to dialing IQ as it should have more jam on the low end torque.
Norwescan is offline   Reply With Quote