bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
350s didn't have cylinder head issues, they had connecting rod issues. Sounds like that issue has been fixed in this car with the rebuild :)

-J

ahlcar

Vendor , w/Business number
350 diesel

I had one of these. The real issue is not the rods but the block. The connecting rods were not strong enough and they would bend. This then caused the cylinder bore to become oval shaped ruining the block. If you search old threads, this was discussed years ago. M/B never adressed the problem or made good on block failures. The 3.5 was not used in Europe, only exported to USA.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Actually, the W140 300SD Turbo (same engine as the car listed for sale here) was the first Diesel S-Class sold in Europe. It was also available in the G-Wagon.

If you look in the parts catalog you'll see there were several revisions to the connecting rods.

-J

84Bruiser

TDI
SOLD (2013 JSW 6spd)
Looks like there was a lot of discussion that I missed. I think there were a lot of small issues with the "new" 3.4L turbo diesel when it came out, and I think they've all been captured here.

There's lots of info available with some google investigation. PM me if you want to chat about it.

This motor was rebuilt in October 2004 by the previous owner. I have the receipts. While Mercedes may not have totally addressed the problems, they paid for nearly $5000 of the cost of this rebuild.

The previous owner drove it less than 2000 miles from 10/2004 until I bought the car in 6/2011. Seriously.

I have put ~8500 miles on it, (check the details on fuelly, I filled it up the day I bought it.)

So since the rebuild, it has averaged ~1000 miles/year.

84Bruiser

TDI
SOLD (2013 JSW 6spd)
deejaaa and Jayg-
I joined in 2008 to try to buy a golf TDI, iirc. If you look at my posing history, you can view my first post. http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?searchid=12599905

I'm a turbo diesel guy, and I've been "in the market" for a tdi for a while. This year was a good year for me to buy a new one so I did. I have the three vehicles in my signature. A turbo diesel Suburban, a Mercedes Diesel, and a JSW.

Since I have a new JSW tdi, and I've seen non-VW cars listed for sale, I thought i would give it a try.

I read the FAQ, and I thought I was in the right. If I need to post more before I'm allowed to sell, then I can take the ad down.

I don't post a lot, but I've asked a few owners questions via PM. I just bought a rear view camera, the Whispbars, and was looking for advice, and sent PM's rather than resurrect old threads.

Like I said, if the ad is not appropriate, let me know, and I'll remove it.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
I wasn't busting your chops. I knew you didn't join in 2008 to sell a car you bought 3 years after that!

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
84Bruiser,

You are perfectly fine!

BTW, Sharp looking Mercedez! maybe im out of turn, but 24mpg seems awefully low...

84Bruiser

TDI
SOLD (2013 JSW 6spd)
slamhouse:
As far as fuel economy goes... I think 24 mpg averaged between summer and winter diesel for in-town driving is pretty good for a car this size. It's really only been driven in-town, less than a 15 mile round trip to work.

For comparison, the S320 of the same vintage (Gas powered 3.2L inline-6) check this out:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/zarach/s320-21

Or the S500 (Gas powered 5L V8)
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/s500/1997

And finally the S600 (Gas powered 6L V12)
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/s600/1997

There aren't a lot of good examples to compare it to, unfortunately. Mercedes only brought ~425 1995 S350D to the US.

84Bruiser

TDI
SOLD (2013 JSW 6spd)
The S500 and S600 are both US examples.

The S320 was a British car.

These were the first I could find.

84Bruiser

TDI
SOLD (2013 JSW 6spd)
aja8888-
Not for me. If you select "US" units on the upper left, should appear in US mpg.

Let me know if that works for you. My fuelly account is in US units, so the default display is US units.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
aja8888-
Not for me. If you select "US" units on the upper left, should appear in US mpg.

Let me know if that works for you. My fuelly account is in US units, so the default display is US units.
You are right! Thanks for the correction! My default was set at U.K. MPG and I ddin't know that there was another option (my bad!:eek:). But, then again, I don't use Fuelly for myself.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
If this car were black\black...it would be mine! Good luck on the sale of an awesome car....

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
That's about what I get in my W126 350SDL, and the diesel does almost 10 MPG better than a gas engine...
There's a reason the Petrol S-Class gets slapped with a gas guzzler tax.
-J
Wow, do you know the style diesel used? Common rail, rotary pump, etc...