2011 SportWagen Foglights

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
Sorry to start up another fog light thread, but I've got a question about OEM lights and I can't find specifics for this car.

I'd like to do the OEM install if possible, but I believe I have midline control module in the car. Part number: 5K0 937 084 G.

I've tried to enable fog lights in VCDS, and I did get two bulb out indicator warnings. The fact that this works suggests that I have a highline module, which is confusing. I'd like to make sure before I start buying parts.

I'm willing to take the kick panel off and poke around the plugs to determine if the pins are present, but I've been unable to find a pinout for the control module. Which plug would the fog lights connect to, and which pins would need to be present?

The reason for the OEM install is to get the low speed fog illumination assist when turning. I drive though a foggy area pretty regularly as well so I'd be ok with the ECS kit version, but I figure the turning lights would be handy.

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
I tried asking at the dealer, and the people in the parts and service departments had no idea what I was talking about.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I tried entering that part number into ETKA and it was not recognized. Are you sure that is the correct part number?

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
It's correct, it's the low line controller that comes on the 2011's with mechanical TPMS.

The driver's fog light goes to pin A25 on the CECM, passenger to C25.

I tried entering that part number into ETKA and it was not recognized. Are you sure that is the correct part number?

Last edited:

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
I had the dealer do them before I picked it up last week. I really like the factory light look, it completes the front end and adds nice light on the back roads. (Drove it down US1 toward Darlington SC last week and it was pitch black out there, the lights were great!) They charged 3 hours labor for the install but it was money well spent in my book.

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
Would you happen to have the part number of a compatible highline replacement handy, or should I be able to just solder the pins into the existing unit?

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
I had the dealer do them before I picked it up last week. I really like the factory light look, it completes the front end and adds nice light on the back roads. (Drove it down US1 toward Darlington SC last week and it was pitch black out there, the lights were great!) They charged 3 hours labor for the install but it was money well spent in my book.
Looks awesome! Do you know if they installed them though a new relay, new module, or was your car already wired?

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
Looks awesome! Do you know if they installed them though a new relay, new module, or was your car already wired?
That I'm not sure of, I know it is a new switch on the inside of the car. It is a US spec car, it is my understanding that it is not wired for them. I can take a picture of something if you want but it'll have to be tomorrow as it is at the dealer for the 02 sensor for the third time.

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
I know the headlight switch has to be replaced, since the one that comes with the car lacks the fog light options. Do you get a fog light activating when you turn at low speeds?

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
My copy of etka lists 5k0937087p as the replacement for 5k0937084g, but you probably want to talk with a parts guy about that. It shouldn't be too hard it looks like the strategy is: "if you have to replace the cecm, you get a highline" because the highline part is a substitute for all the low and midline parts

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
My copy of etka lists 5k0937087p as the replacement for 5k0937084g, but you probably want to talk with a parts guy about that.
I've fired an email off to the dealer to ask about a module swap. I suspect they'll want the full ~$400 for a new one though. Do you know how hard this is to swap out? I've seen some mention that the car needs to have it's keys reprogrammed after the swap as well.

I

ihatespeed

You have the baseline module, just like me, quite funny, I just asked ross tech about it today, 084 is base, 085 is low 086 mid and 087 is highline, according to them fog lights are supported by mid and highline.

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
You have the baseline module, just like me, quite funny, I just asked ross tech about it today, 084 is base, 085 is low 086 mid and 087 is highline, according to them fog lights are supported by mid and highline.
What's the difference between a midline and highline module then? HID lights?

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
I know the headlight switch has to be replaced, since the one that comes with the car lacks the fog light options. Do you get a fog light activating when you turn at low speeds?
That I've not figured out yet. I always have them on when the headlights are needed but it is only a week old today so I've not had a chance to drive it much.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
That I've not figured out yet. I always have them on when the headlights are needed but it is only a week old today so I've not had a chance to drive it much.
Don't do that. They are foglights, not driving lights. Turn them on when there is fog obscuring your view.

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
It's not that hard. There's some talk about it here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265887&page=6

and here

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4876309-2010-JSW-CECM-Swap-questions

You do need to reprogram the keys. You'll also need to copy the coding from your old module. The people doing it on 2010's had to reset the TPMS module, too, I have no idea how that will work on your car.

I've fired an email off to the dealer to ask about a module swap. I suspect they'll want the full ~$400 for a new one though. Do you know how hard this is to swap out? I've seen some mention that the car needs to have it's keys reprogrammed after the swap as well.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
In order to have the fog lights assist in illumination when cornering you need either a mid- or highline (I can't recall which cecm. Port or dealer installed fogs use a VW relay that bypasses the cecm (same with the ECS Tuning harness) so the cornering function work work because the cecm has no idea that you have fogs.

You can do a fog install for a lot cheaper than the ECS kit or dealer installed option. Go to vaglink.com and get the grilles and switch then order the ECS harness. You should save about a hundred bucks. However, if you want the cornering function you must go the cecm route.

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
You can do a fog install for a lot cheaper than the ECS kit or dealer installed option. Go to vaglink.com and get the grilles and switch then order the ECS harness. You should save about a hundred bucks. However, if you want the cornering function you must go the cecm route.
That might make the CECM an affordable option. I didn't really want to blow $700 on lights, but if that drops it closer to $500 it works for me. :)

Can anyone confirm that the midline module will work?

db252

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2005 Jetta 2003 Jetta 2001 Golf
Just finished installing the fogs on to my 2011 JSW yesterday. I to wanted the option for having the cornering function but didn't want to spend the money on changing the cecm which is a lowline so I opted for the ECS kit which will suit me just fine. The install was easy and I am more than happy at the results. There is no reason to spend the extra money unless you are dead set on having the cornering function activated.

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
Just finished installing the fogs on to my 2011 JSW yesterday.
It really will likely end up depending on whether or not my dealer is willing to cut me a deal. Did you have to remove the bumper for the install, or did you leave it on?

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
Just spoke to the dealer. They confirmed that both 5K0 937 084 G and 5K0 937 087 PZ6S are compatible, however their database was showing that both parts are listed as not available. The parts guy said he searched the entire US database and was unable to find the highline module anywhere in the country. They couldn't provide pricing on either module.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Just finished installing the fogs on to my 2011 JSW yesterday. I to wanted the option for having the cornering function but didn't want to spend the money on changing the cecm which is a lowline so I opted for the ECS kit which will suit me just fine. The install was easy and I am more than happy at the results. There is no reason to spend the extra money unless you are dead set on having the cornering function activated.

Or if you want factory HIDs.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Just spoke to the dealer. They confirmed that both 5K0 937 084 G and 5K0 937 087 PZ6S are compatible, however their database was showing that both parts are listed as not available. The parts guy said he searched the entire US database and was unable to find the highline module anywhere in the country. They couldn't provide pricing on either module.

Order it from Kufatec. Or, ebay.de.

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
All of this has me thinking of some after market Hellas. Their own wiring and switch.

RzTen1

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
I called a dealership in Canada, and they have the part. They want around $1500 CAD for it though. I'm just going to get the ECS kit. I'll post pics once it's in.

db252

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2005 Jetta 2003 Jetta 2001 Golf
It really will likely end up depending on whether or not my dealer is willing to cut me a deal. Did you have to remove the bumper for the install, or did you leave it on?

I did not remove the bumper or the air box and it was easy doing the install that way. ECS doesn't have any instructions for doing the install but they refer you to MKV install instructions which they say are similar but I don't share that opinion. The only thing I did remove was the battery so as to pass the wire for the headlight switch through the firewall. Please feel free to pm me for any advice or pics if you need them.

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
Don't do that. They are foglights, not driving lights. Turn them on when there is fog obscuring your view.
Aren't fog lights yellow and driving lights white. Mine are white, aimed to factory specs with factory bulbs - not the aftermarket glaring xeonlike blue bleeding bulbs. I live in a very congested metro area where pedestrians are prone to walk out into traffic and I like all the oncoming visibility I can get plus like to see the area immediately in front of the vehicle. That aside, I like the look.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Wow. So if I were to tell you that I installed a set of OEM projector fogs on my 09 Jetta which is driven in So Cal where fog is (practically) non-existant, then went and installed a set of 3,000k HID's just because I liked the way they looked....

You would REALLY get tweaked at me, wouldn't you?

Oh well. It's my car. I make the payments. I shall do what I feel like.

However, to ease your blood pressure a little bit, I will clarify that I used projector fogs that have a sharp cutoff (not like the reflector fogs), and they are properly aimed keeping ALL of the light on the ground as they should be.

I can't do anything about you getting upset that I use my fog lights for asthetics. Sorry.

:cool: