www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old September 19th, 2017, 15:35   #3181
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

If it's really cold out, I preheat the car while it's still plugged in.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:02   #3182
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
If it's really cold out, I preheat the car while it's still plugged in.
That's a great feature on a lot of EVs and PHEVs! Unfortunately our Fiat's telematics were only good for 3 years after the date of purchase, so we don't have any remote access. That said, just turn the key on and it starts blowing out heat immediately, even when plugged in. So I'll just go turn it on while I make my morning coffee.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:04   #3183
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Some HEVs and PHEVs also have remote heat on the key - I know the Volt does, the Prius Prime (which doesn't have telematics at all in lower trims) does, and the Pacifica Hybrid does.

And, some also have the ability to schedule heat through their infotainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11   #3184
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Thanks for the responses. I knew that resistance heating was a power hog. I was trying to figure out if cost and complexity of the heat pump system was worth the added cost.

I use heated seats and steering wheels when possible and I am used to TDI taking longer to blow good heat than my commute is long. So preheating before I drive and only using for window defrosting and minimal heating is a realistic possibility for me.

I am constantly looking the ads for used eGolfs for a deal and this is a big deciding factor between possible cars.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:18   #3185
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Thanks for the responses. I knew that resistance heating was a power hog. I was trying to figure out if cost and complexity of the heat pump system was worth the added cost.

I use heated seats and steering wheels when possible and I am used to TDI taking longer to blow good heat than my commute is long. So preheating before I drive and only using for window defrosting and minimal heating is a realistic possibility for me.

I am constantly looking the ads for used eGolfs for a deal and this is a big deciding factor between possible cars.

Jason
I haven't really found any (what I consider to be) reasonably priced e-Golfs. Availability is low and prices are very high compared to similar EVs (Nissan LEAFs, used 500es, even some new Chevy Bolts (comparing new to new). keep your eye out though; the e-Golf is a good car and you get very nice VW driving dynamics.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; Yesterday at 07:20.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43   #3186
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Some HEVs and PHEVs also have remote heat on the key - I know the Volt does, the Prius Prime (which doesn't have telematics at all in lower trims) does, and the Pacifica Hybrid does.

And, some also have the ability to schedule heat through their infotainment.
Yea, instead of signing on, I just hit the button on the remote.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02   #3187
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I was trying to figure out if cost and complexity of the heat pump system was worth the added cost.
I don't see the heat pump as adding too much complexity vs. the standard A/C. If its just like a residential heat pump then there is very little difference between an A/C unit and a heat pump. Just a reversing valve and some extra refrigerant piping.

Of course....that said electric resistance heat should be more reliable than your car's A/C! And in my part of the world its a lot easier to live with a car with broken A/C than no heat.
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS [FOR SALE VERY SOON].Indigo Blue, 5-speed, RC 2, Sprint 520's, TT Short Shifter,DG Racepipe, DG Panzer Plate, Koni Reds, BBS RXII's,E-codes, Euro switch, EGR cooler delete, IDParts 2.5"DP, 196k /// 2014 Touareg TDI Executive, Stock but loaded. 115k.///Gassers: 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 TRD 4x4. Silver. 165k. 2012 GTI Autobahn 6MT, Stock but loaded.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29   #3188
compu_85
Gadget Guy

EV's with a Heat Pump have reversing valves, and a 2nd condenser mounted in the HVAC case so they can dehumidify the air.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:21   #3189
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post

with all the drawbacks of EVs I do not see how it is "better" than my current setup.
Probably because you've already made up your mind that there isn't an EV out there than can possibly measure up to your diesels, so you "cherry pick" reasons to confirm that bias.

In all honesty, I used to look at EV's with the same glass-half-empty view as well...that is, until one became my daily driver. Sure, EV's have their shortcomings but they also have their advantages - if you are willing to experience them.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:34   #3190
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Well I am not against them, but there absolutely is NOT an EV that is out there right now that can do what my TDI can do, so he has a point.

I can afford to put a measly $5 of fuel in a car to get to and from work every day. And this is a car that, all in, I have about $5000 in total, and have already driven it 140k miles, and will easily drive it 140k more, and it will continue doing what it does same as it always has.

When I can buy a used eGolf for $1500, have it go 100 miles a day or 700+ miles on a fill up whenever I feel like it, and do so beyond the half million mile marker, I will be first in line to get one.

As it stands now, such a vehicle simply does not exist. Even the mighty Telsa (which I do not like anyway) that costs more than my house cannot claim this.

In the future, if the technology improves, which I think it will, then you'll have a better chance of widespread acceptance. Cost is a big factor. Poor urbanites can afford to keep a clapped out 200k mile Sentra on the road, they can park it on the street wherever they want, and if they do not drive a lot anyway, the fuel/PM costs are negligible. Yet these are the "ideal" EV owners.

But as I have stated before, until the populace trends towards smaller, more efficient cars in general, it is a hard sell to get them to make the leap forward to an EV. If a Silverado is A, and a Cruze is B, and a Spark is C, then an EV is D+. We cannot get people to get past A. When people are at C in large numbers, and demanding more, then it will change.

But with cheap fuel, we are largely stuck on A.
Old Today, 04:50   #3191
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Although, part of what Tesla's trying to do is come to, if not the Silverado owners, the X6 and GLE Coupe owners where they are, with an electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote