Beefed Up Suspension

CrazyDazed

TDI
2013 Jetta
There seems to be a lot of smart people on here so hoping one of you could help me out with options to beef up my rear coil springs.

I have a 2013 TDI Jetta and I am a weekend warrior so basically my car is loaded down with sports gear 90% of the time. Because of this, my car rides low and bottoms out constantly. I know people that have used VR6 springs on a Golf. Is there something similiar I can do with my Jetta to get a beefier spring and perhaps abit more ground clearance?

Thanks, I appreciate any help you can provide.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you have a sedan the spring upgrade options are pretty limited. The rear torsion beam is unique to the US market, and Euro aftermarket makers haven't made upgrades for your car. We probably should search around manufacturers again and see if there's anything new. We haven't done that for about a year.

Keep in mind that the Golf and Sportwagen, as well as Jetta GLI, have different rear suspensions. Springs and shocks aren't interchangeable.

One thing you might consider is airbags in the rear. That way you could maintain suspension travel when the car's loaded, but have normal ride height when it's empty.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Oops, I stand corrected. I assumed that the springs were compatible across the models. I'll still recommend a skid plate but! {:eek:)

CrazyDazed

TDI
2013 Jetta
Thanks for the responses. I have emailed some spring manufactures to see if they have any springs that they believe would work. As well, I started looking into the airbags option as well.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Mr. Rrusse11, are you saying on a MK4 Jetta, VR6 springs on the front and Jetta Wagon springs on the back will not just work but also provide equal "lift"?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Rrusse11, are you saying on a MK4 Jetta, VR6 springs on the front and Jetta Wagon springs on the back will not just work but also provide equal "lift"?
Yes, check out IDparts, there were a number of options, at least for the Golf. IIRC the jetta wagon springs are longer, and heavier. Koni does,
at least in the Reds, a longer shock for the wagon.
I went for Golf heavy duty towing springs with the longer shock for the rear. 10mm spacers on the front struts. Nice even lift on my car.
I was told that with the wagon springs I would've ended up with about
an additional 1" in the back. Slightly raked.
Your Mileage Will Vary

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
VR6 front springs no, unless its a 2.slow, then it might lift up a bit, but not 1-2 inch's.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
VR6 front springs no, unless its a 2.slow, then it might lift up a bit, but not 1-2 inch's.
The VR6 springs AND the 10mm spacers AND about 1/4" with oversize tires, check my sig for details, did lift the front end for me.
But, my suspension was so shot it's hard to say where exactly it was before I started. I was bottoming out before the suspension overhaul.

I do know that I've got comfortable clearance, without looking lifted. Various threads around on how to lift front and rear with various spacers. Incremental differences lead to cumulative effects.

Like I said, Your Mileage WILL Vary. :)o)