How to submit claims as a dealer

Jdtdi2

TDI
2011 JSW
I'm a new dealer (got my license to participate in what some folks here have called carbitage), and will be filing a few TDI claims shortly. Before doing so, I have a few questions.

Should I say yes to the question "is the vehicle registered in a business name?" It's technically not registered at all, as I have the titles in the previous owners' names with bills of sale. They are not registered in my or my company name.

Second, will there be any issue with submitting titles that don't match my or my company name? Dealers don't get titles in their names in Texas.

Last, does anyone have any general advice about how to file as a dealer? Is there anything special I need to do?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
and your goal is to what?? get the buyback or fix??? or just to resell to a private individual customer? and let THEM deal with the "buyback or fix".. if there is one??

Jdtdi2

TDI
2011 JSW
and your goal is to what?? get the buyback or fix??? or just to resell to a private individual customer? and let THEM deal with the "buyback or fix".. if there is one??
I intend to sell them back to VW. The portal doesn't seem to have a way to inform VW that you are a dealer.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Are the titles clean, or are they branded salvage, rebuilt, flood, etc?

I believe you will have to sign your dealer name on the back of the title to prove ownership, and then you will need to upload the bill of sale instead of a registration.

Currently branded titles are in limbo, waiting for the claims review committee to address conflicting restitution payout amounts in the settlement agreement.

Also, from speaking with the plaintiff counsel, I believe they are also postponing claims from dealerships that were formed after the settlement agreement was made public on 6/28/16.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait to put any name on the titles in til I spoke to the court appointed plaintiff counsel to get their advise on whether to submit the claims as a dealer, or to put them in your personal name.

The plaintiff counsel is,
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
Phone, 415-956-1000

Last edited:

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG

I believe you will have to sign your dealer name on the back of the title to prove ownership, and then you will need to upload the bill of sale instead of a registration.

Currently branded titles are in limbo, waiting for the claims review committee to address conflicting restitution payout amounts in the settlement agreement.

Also, from speaking with the plaintiff counsel, I believe they are also postponing claims from dealerships that were formed after the settlement agreement was made public on 6/28/16.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait to put any name on the titles in til I spoke to the court appointed plaintiff counsel to get their advise on whether to submit the claims as a dealer, or to put them in your personal name.

Phone, 415-956-1000
It seems that for the cars registered under personal names, the claims are also postponed. What's really happening?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
The only claims being tied up in personal names are the ones that have branded titles.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
3.0L too?

I completed a participation payment appointment for one of my 3.0L gen 2 cars last Tuesday and have yet to receive the EFT email. Online chatting representative said photographs taken by the ambassador need to be validated. Car is clean title. Pretty weired.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Not sure why other dealers would help you to create more competition for themselves, but I will just answer one question for you.

Name and address on front of title MUST match the company that is filing. If it has your personal name on it, file it as individual, but you will have to show registration instead of bill of sale.

VW does NOT accept dealer re-asignment or signed backs of titles. It will NOT work.

BTW, congrats on getting a dealer license before knowing how this process works.

Jdtdi2

TDI
2011 JSW

Phone, 415-956-1000
I have both clean and rebuilt titles. I've read about the slowdown with non-clean titles, but haven't heard anything about postponing claims from post-settlement-agreement dealerships. Has anyone else experienced this?

Are you a dealer? In some (if not most) states (including my state), dealers never get titles in their names, so I have not been intending to transfer the title to myself or my company name. I'm specifically interested in hearing from someone who has experience with submitting a claim as a dealer.

Jdtdi2

TDI
2011 JSW
Not sure why other dealers would help you to create more competition for themselves, but I will just answer one question for you.

Name and address on front of title MUST match the company that is filing. If it has your personal name on it, file it as individual, but you will have to show registration instead of bill of sale.

VW does NOT accept dealer re-asignment or signed backs of titles. It will NOT work.

BTW, congrats on getting a dealer license before knowing how this process works.
Are you a dealer? Have you tried submitting a dealer-reassigned title and had your documents rejected?

Last edited:

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
dealers

you cannot turn in with a dealers liscensce if the dealer was formed after the agreement, not sure on the specific date, but they will string you along, as far as getting your cars to an appointment only to cancel them without any explanation, only way to turn in, is in your own name.

If you have rebuilds there is a freeze for now, clear titles with multiple claims or accident history they review more, no time frame for appointments, its not legal, but they do alot of things not according to the settlement, only thing you can do is be patient and wait it out.

Gppd Luck, we all need to blow up the phones at Lief, hopefully get somewhere, for now nothing is getting done.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Are you a dealer? Have you tried submitting a dealer-reassigned title and had your documents rejected?
Yes and yes.

You definitely CAN get a TX title with your company name on it. I purchased several cars from TX with dealer names on titles. Plus dealers can get titles in almost any state.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^ But keep in mind that putting the cars in the name of your dealership may tie up the claims until next year sometime, since your dealership was formed after the settlement.

For your cars with clean titles, your best bet would be to transfer the titles into your personal name, pay the taxes, and purchase registrations. - Unless you're okay with sitting on them for another year.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
^^^ But keep in mind that putting the cars in the name of your dealership may tie up the claims until next year sometime, since your dealership was formed after the settlement.

For your cars with clean titles, your best bet would be to transfer the titles into your personal name, pay the taxes, and purchase registrations. - Unless you're okay with sitting on them for another year.
Don't know anything about that. I have been a dealer for years before starting buying TDIs so this doesn't apply to me.

Fourplay formed dealership recently and has not reported any issues with 3.0L partial payments

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Don't know anything about that. I have been a dealer for years before starting buying TDIs so this doesn't apply to me.
Fourplay formed dealership recently and has not reported any issues with 3.0L partial payments
Correct.

VW does not like bill of sale / title from auction vehicles - neither document is physically signed, but instead is e-signed.

Pain to deal with, but there are workarounds with Manheim and ADESA to get VW what they want.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Have you seen any anecdotal evidence from the forum (or elsewhere) with people with first-hand experience of newly-formed dealerships having claims postponed?

How would they know when the dealership was formed (it's not a part of the questions, is it?)?

you cannot turn in with a dealers liscensce if the dealer was formed after the agreement, not sure on the specific date, but they will string you along, as far as getting your cars to an appointment only to cancel them without any explanation, only way to turn in, is in your own name.
That sounds like a concrete story (with getting the appt. canceled, etc.), did this happen to you, or can you by chance link me to where you read it?

Last edited:

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Have you seen any anecdotal evidence from the forum (or elsewhere) with people with first-hand experience of newly-formed dealerships having claims postponed?

How would they know when the dealership was formed (it's not a part of the questions, is it?)?

That sounds like a concrete story (with getting the appt. canceled, etc.), did this happen to you, or can you by chance link me to where you read it?
It's not true. I've turned in multiple 2.0L and 3.0L cars with my dealer license.

You have to produce proof that you have the authority to transact on behalf of the dealership, so in theory, if you used your articles of incorporation to prove this, VW/Audi would know when you established your dealership. But it doesn't matter - I haven't had any issues with turning cars in.

The biggest issue was getting signed bills of sale from auctions (they are normally e-signed), but we got it figured out.