Won't start, won't crank, weird electrical symptoms

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
2000 Jetta, alh engine, manual transmission. Stumped on a no start problem and really not sure where to even start looking. I was driving around today totally fine, then parked at home for a few hours before I came back. The car didn't start, and, the odometer/time displays didn't light up, glow plug and check engine lights didn't come on, I can't get into the trunk but can get into the gas tank, doors won't lock when the key is turned in the door, the rad fans were running continuously until I disconnected the battery, and there are zero sounds when I turn the key to the "start" position. Checked a bunch of the fuses, non were blown. Should I check relays, ECU, or just consult a professional?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sounds like a wiring issue, I'd check the live and earth cables for the battery, earth goes to a bolt on the gear box, live to the starter.

Then there's the lives that head into the car, check the fuses on top of the battery, pull them out and make sure everything is clean.

Also check the wiring loom where it goes over things like brackets etc, see if there's any obvious damage.

It certainly sounds like power just isn't getting through.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
My first thought is dead/dying battery..

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Disconnect the fan control unit, make sure the battery is good and try again.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Once it stops pouring rain I'll try disconnecting the unit and trying once again. Assuming it is a low battery issue it should start up with a jump no worries? Not sure why the fans would run with a low battery

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So it was the fan module, drained the battery super low and cause the weird symptoms. Replaced the unit with one from a part out and everything is best kind.
Cheers to those to came and offered help in the thread.