Highest mile bhw?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
There's examples of PD engines that are not BHW engines reaching over 500k miles without a rebuild, and I've heard of a few BHW engines over 300, and one over 400. The BHW's bottom end is much stronger than most other PD engines, at least once the BSM is taken care of. It should be capable of going much further than 500k. The problem is that most people stop caring for these cars(outside of a few enthusiasts) when the BSM needs to be replaced or high dollar service items are needed for these old cars.

LKN

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
There's examples of PD engines that are not BHW engines reaching over 500k miles without a rebuild, and I've heard of a few BHW engines over 300, and one over 400. The BHW's bottom end is much stronger than most other PD engines, at least once the BSM is taken care of. It should be capable of going much further than 500k. The problem is that most people stop caring for these cars(outside of a few enthusiasts) when the BSM needs to be replaced or high dollar service items are needed for these old cars.

Nice to know.

I was researching picking up a new 2015 tdi, when I came across a one owner 04 Passat. It has 322k miles, original engine, one trans replacement, two cam replacements, and the common issues have been addressed. The fact it was a one owner vehicle, with a very detailed service history made me look at it as a challenge. I would love to reach 400-500k with this thing.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

That was taken six years ago. Not sure of the whereabouts of that car now, but I did see it again after it crossed 400k. That is 378k in the pic. It had just had its original transmission replaced. I did its balance shaft upgrade a couple hundred thousand before that. Engine original otherwise.

Really any car can be made to last pretty much indefinitely, although some age better than others. My 220k mile Passat despite also being 13 years old, feels tighter and better inside than this horrible piece of junk Chevy Captiva that I just had to replace the cam phase solenoids on. God what a miserable piece of crap.

Last edited:

LKN

TDI
2004 Passat TDI

That was taken six years ago. Not sure of the whereabouts of that car now, but I did see it again after it crossed 400k. That is 378k in the pic. It had just had its original transmission replaced. I did its balance shaft upgrade a couple hundred thousand before that. Engine original otherwise.

Really any car can be made to last pretty much indefinitely, although some age better than others. My 220k mile Passat despite also being 13 years old, feels tighter and better inside than this horrible piece of junk Chevy Captiva that I just had to replace the cam phase solenoids on. God what a miserable piece of crap.

That's awesome!

My Passat has 322k on it, with the original struts..... Somehow they're still in great shape, unreal!

craws01

TDI
Audi A3
Mine is running super strong with 270K on it. Original trans still shifting tight.
I hardly use it any more with working from home and newer vehicles to drive. But with hunting season rolling in I will be making several 11 hour drives to IL in it as I do every year without hesitation. It has proven to be a very reliable vehicle that I can always count on to get me there on a single take of fuel.
I have come very close to listing it for sale here several times. But I can't help but feel that I will regret it once it is gone.

Passat'n Adventure

TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon - Deleted and 5 speeded '15 Passat SEL P
I am currently running with 356,256 on the clock. Original engine, cam, and suspension. Vwztips did the 5 speed swap and a delete at 230K. I know I am not the highest, but I am interested to see where this thread ends up.

Did I mention the oil drip?

Last edited:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Maybe we should go for the lowest as well?

Ours is the main driver, two people use it 4 days a week to commute for sure, then weekend errands and recreation. Out of town trips etc.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
67,100 miles. One of 4 vehicles I own, driven most days.
Need tips on making it last. I plan to keep it indefinitely. I have always changed oil at 1 year intervals, usually around 5k miles.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
You blow us out of the water!

Use the 505.01 rated oil is absolute mandatory. Thicker weight if you can get it. We can only get the thinner stuff up here, but we are a lot colder.

Oil change interval is fine, good up to 10k between so 5 is no problem. If no white streaks you could go 2 years. Key is its run daily. That is significant help.

How long are your trips? If short, good to get longer drives to heat it up and cook out the moisture. Ours are typically 10 miles minimum. Keep an eye out for any white streaks in the oil. If West of the Cascades more so. Let me know where you are, I visit Bellingham to see my mom.

Get the trany fluid changed. Life rated is not correct and its due (not overdue).

Unless you have the chin noise up front I would hold off on the OP and BM change. Make a decision at 100k when timing belt is done.

Get a spare set of Raxle shaft when that is due (they ship them with a return label so you get credit if they get back the original German made ones) . The boots do let go somewhere I the 70 - 80 k area.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Hopefully he changed the timing belt already. 12 years on the original belt may not be the best way to get your vehicle to last indefinitely and another 5 or 6 years to get 100k could be disastrous.

Last edited:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Did a timing belt and balance shaft delete, new motor mounts last January at 61,500 miles. Also changed transmission fluid and filter at that time. Zahntech in Redmond WA did the work, no complaints. Looking to avoid the turbo/boost issues that keep cropping up on this forum. I have plenty of short trips in town but wind it out on the highway at least once per week.

By the way, after the BS delete vibration is minimal and car runs like new. Fuel economy was not affected. I went to Michelin Defender tires and lost 1 mpg from previous Continental Conti pro contact.

LKN

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
67,100 miles. One of 4 vehicles I own, driven most days.
Need tips on making it last. I plan to keep it indefinitely. I have always changed oil at 1 year intervals, usually around 5k miles.

Dang, that's low mileage!

What color? Want to sell? :)

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Did a timing belt and balance shaft delete, new motor mounts last January at 61,500 miles. Also changed transmission fluid and filter at that time. Zahntech in Redmond WA did the work, no complaints. Looking to avoid the turbo/boost issues that keep cropping up on this forum. I have plenty of short trips in town but wind it out on the highway at least once per week.

By the way, after the BS delete vibration is minimal and car runs like new. Fuel economy was not affected. I went to Michelin Defender tires and lost 1 mpg from previous Continental Conti pro contact.
Good to hear, You sound pretty well informed. There is a thick ground wire to the starter that can rub against the boost hose. This is the hose connecting the turbo to the inter-cooler piping at the bottom of the radiator. Its on the passenger side. Its definitely worth checking (easiest to see from underneath) to make sure there is clearance. The wire held on by a tie wrap and will eat through the boost hose it not in the correct place.

The boost issues and Limp Mode can be annoying, but I'm not sure there is much that can be done to prevent. I have had them for 8 years (Could be related to my RC2 chipping). Used to happen a couple of times a year. Now as often as once a month, but I know the scenario that causes it and can react to it quickly. I'll probably change out all my vacuum hoses, turbo hose seals and N-75 value with my next timing belt, but I'm approaching 270,000 miles.

Another suggestion might be to changing out the transmission fluid again, at some point, unless it was flushed. Only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the fluid will come out from the drain and pan. So you're still driving with up to 50% of the original fluid.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
My "NEW" 04

I picked up an 04 with 6 speed conversion in April. It only had 219,000 miles on the clock. It now has 226,000 and climbing. I'm getting ready to do some suspension, tire, and brake upgrades. EGR/cooler delete and stage 2 tune already done. It replaces my 09 Jetta, bought back with 244,000. I just had to have a TDI manual, which is not easy to find. Fun car! Highway cruiser.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
220k, BSD, 5 spd and Franke cam. Still starts instantly. Faster start than most gassers I've noticed :cool: and I still get avg of 45 a gallon.