Mb R320 Cdi

marshr

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Picking the vehicle up tomorrow,(No one is really sure what to call these it seems) and I hope it is half as reliable and fun to drive as my 04 Passat TDI. I've put 113k on the Passat, and have never had a signifigant problem with it. Captain chairs in the middle row and diesel reliability led me to the R320. A lot of jack for a grocery getter, I might add.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They drive pretty nice, despite the sort of funky looks. Mechanically underneath it is pretty much the same as the E class, but the R class for the US I am pretty sure is still 4matic-only, whereas it is still optional on the E class, and not available in the E CDI in the US :rolleyes: .

Learn how to read and operate the ASSYST system or whatever they are calling it. The car will tell you when it needs PM, there really is no fixed schedule. Also, DO NOT have your keyfob setting on the counter in the kitchen when the microwave is on...that can fry them I was told. :confused:

marshr

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Thanks for the advice. All R class are 4-matic for 07. RWD will be an option in 08 from what I've read. What is the ASSYST system?

oilhammer

TDI
marshr said:
Thanks for the advice. All R class are 4-matic for 07. RWD will be an option in 08 from what I've read. What is the ASSYST system?
The ASSYST is the on-board maintenance monitor. There is ASSYST, ASSYST+, and some others, just depends on what system the '07 R class is equipped with.

The cluster will display "A", "B", or "C" service, and the MB dealer's Star Tester will connect to the car and the car's onboard systems will tell it what PM needs to be performed. Your owner's manual will have greater information on the system and your new MB's requirements.

The system can keep track of all kinds of parameters to determine the time for things like:

motor oil changes

tire rotations

transmission service

air filters

cabin filters

brake inspections

etc.

Pretty neat stuff! :D

MYLittleTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
Ml320cdi

Marshr, I just got the ML320CDI a couple of weeks ago. Sold a 2003 JettaTDI and got this. The ride comparison is just day and night and I truly thought the Jetta rode well. I am already missing the Jetta fuel economy too. Get ready to read a 540 page owners manual! And then when you get time you can read the 240 page radio manual.
I went to the parts dept the other day to inquire about oil and filters etc. They really don't want the owner to know much, so they can keep you clueless and get them to do all maintainance.
The extended warranty from MB is $4,120.00!!!
I live in Texas and can say the A/C works GREAT!
I did have the windows aftermarket tinted as the front windows were hot and very hard to drive in the sunshine.
I put the car on a lift today to see where drain plugs were. The oil pan is insulated! There is a feltlike molded covering that bolts up around the pan. I found this surprising and could only think it would keep the oil much hotter then normal?
With 1,500 miles on it, I am getting 25.5 hwy and 19-20 city.
Good Luck with yours.
Bruce

Last edited:

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
oilhammer said:
They drive pretty nice, despite the sort of funky looks. Mechanically underneath it is pretty much the same as the E class.
Isn't the R on the same chassis as the ML and GL? :confused:

oilhammer

TDI
MR42HH said:
Isn't the R on the same chassis as the ML and GL? :confused:
Nope.

There are two ML vehicles, first and second gen. The first gen is a full framed "truck" and is its own platform.

The second gen ML and the GL are unibody, with some beefier unibody rails similar to other unitized trucks like the Highlander, Harrier, Grand Cherokee, Voyager, VW T4/T5, Pathfinder, etc.

The R is pretty much a car with a raised roof. They are not exactly the same underneath as the E, but pretty close. The front section stamping (firewall, tunnel, side rails) is almost identical to the E. The center floorpan is a little different, and has some stronger cross supports and whatnot to accomodate the flat floorpan on the inside without bending in the middle.

Both the E and R use a pretty conventional MB coil spring front strut suspension, with the long knuckle and upper and lower control arms.

The ML uses a big beefy SLA front suspension with a squat knuckle and a torsion spring running back towards the center of the body. The ML's front suspension is pretty much identical to what many pickup trucks use.

The E and R use a multi-link rear suspension, however the R uses a single piece lower control arm whereas the E has a full 8-link setup (with 2 lower links on each side). Their rear subframe is almost identical. They both have a small sway bar angled towards the front.

The ML's rear suspension is a much simpler stouter design with less parts and they are all bigger. It also has a different spring design and a massive rear mounted sway bar.

I have been underneath all of them, but it has been a few months so my memory may be a little fuzzy on the details.

Last edited:

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
I dunno much more than they come from Vance, and I want an R 320 CDI. Brilliant Black with black leather interior! :D Only comes to $77k when I configure it like I want it. I really like the SWB version that Europe gets. I've done some searching and found that it is possible to get a B Class from Canada imported easily, so I might do that instead whenever I get enough money to splurge that way. (Plus its lots cheaper!)

marshr

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I got it yesterday, and obviously haven't spent much time in it yet. I'm pretty impressed thus far. I'm a little surprised MB hasn't sold more of these. The styling may be a little funky, but it suits my eye just fine. A mild premium over a Suburban, which was the other vehicle considered, but we've rationalized that with superior fuel economy and diesel longevity.
I didn't get a ton of options on mine, but man do they add up to big dollars in a hurry.

marshr

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
MyLittleTDI:
You weren't kidding about the owner's manual. Of course 1/3 is devoted to trial lawyers: "Warning: Do not close your eyes while driving or injury may occur" etc....

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I'm a little surprised MB hasn't sold more of these.
$77k might have something to do with it...

I thought the R class was longer than the E, like an E stationwagon on steroids...?

Last edited:

vwtom

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE
320 cdi MPG

MYLittleTDI said:
Yesterday when I filled up, total city driving and A/C on 100% of time yielded 17.5 mpg.

What is a typical mileage with highway and city?

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Quote:
I'm a little surprised MB hasn't sold more of these.

I second that... Nice vehicle but just too much $$, I'm not saying that it's not worth the cost because it's a nice alternative for many folks out there; drivetrain and layout aside it's just overkill on so many other levels...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I've been considering MB diesels, too. I didn't think I'd go back to an SUV. But I like the ML-320 CDI since it can tow over 7000-lbs. I'd live to get a camper someday... maybe 4500-lbs empty. I like the R320 CDI. But I'm disappointed that it's not rated to tow squat. I at least want something that can tow a car.

I never thought I'd lean toward a MB over a VW. But VW is really screwing the pooch by not bringing over a more economical diesel version of the Touareg than the $60k-$70k V10. VW is getting pretty $$$ when I can save $15k-$20k by getting a MB. :rolleyes:

The lower MPG of the ML is a letdown. But it'll be replacing a 1.8T Passat that gets about 30-hwy and 23-city... maybe 26-combined. I have time before I make a move. But I'm looking... Perhaps the ML320 CDI is good for closer to 28-mpg after 10,000-miles?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Our gasser ML gets around 14-16 mpg around town and 20-23 mpg on the highway. So a new ML CDI should be able to get 28 mpg on the highway.

TM

marshr

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
weedeater said:

I thought the R class was longer than the E, like an E stationwagon on steroids...?
The AMG model would cost that much, but I would imagine the majority of the CDI's sale for around $50k. Base list is $44k.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
marshr said:
The AMG model would cost that much, but I would imagine the majority of the CDI's sale for around $50k. Base list is $44k.
Yeah. In the final analysis, an R only has the equivalent of one adult seat more space than an E. The E320 Bluetec gets 36 mpg on the highway, the R320 CDI gets about 28. That makes the E, for about the same price given standard equipment, a better buy.

TM

marshr

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Tin Man said:
Yeah. In the final analysis, an R only has the equivalent of one adult seat more space than an E. The E320 Bluetec gets 36 mpg on the highway, the R320 CDI gets about 28. That makes the E, for about the same price given standard equipment, a better buy.

TM
If it was that quite cut and dry, why even bother making the R? I like mine, you like yours. That's why there are elections and horse races.

Last edited:

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
marshr said:
If it was that quite cut and dry, why even bother making the R? I like mine, you like yours. That's why there are elections and horse races.
And, if available, I'd take an E-Class wagon w/4Matic and it's superior fuel economy. But we know the long story about MB shipping(not) diesel wagons this way.

To each his own.

oilhammer

TDI
truman said:
Why would the E class FE be that much better?

Well, all our E diesels are 2WD, and all our R diesels are 4WD. So having to move only half the driveline is partly to blame. The other part is the E is a sleek sedan, rather than a tallish SUV/CUV/minivan/truck "thing" like the R.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
marshr said:
Geez. A Honda Odyssey is a better buy than either of these cars, but who is talking about preferences here? I was only comparing the two if you are looking for certain things like fuel economy and room.

TM

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
I'm holding out hopes for the GL320 ... but then at $65K it's gonna have to be a used one! (don't expect VW TDI kind of economy though)

marshr

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
We went on a trip this weekend, which was my first extended amount of time in the car. My wife and I love it. Quite a handling/ride upgrade over our dearly departed Sequoia. Our two older children (4 and 2) really liked the middle row, and our 2 month old was so far in the back I could barely hear her! We got around 25 mpg with mostly highway mileage. I'm hoping that improves with age, but is still a vast upgrade over the aforementioned rig. My brother in law has just gotten a new Suburban, and I think I felt a tinge of buyer remorse from him after talking about the cars/cars considered. Of course as I was pulling out of the driveway, I could swear I heard him say "Man, that thing looks funny." How are you liking yours?

MYLittleTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
I did some busy city driving in Ft Worth yesterday. Lots of traffic due to TCU/Baylor football game. I was really disappointed in the turbolag from a dead stop. Once spinning though this thing moves even with 5 adults in it. I am still seeing 25.4 mpg highway with A/C on. Thats still hard to get used to coming from a Jetta TDI.

The window tint really hepled in keeping the interior cooler and decreased the brightness thru the windows.

The taller stance and short wheelbase makes it very easy to oversteer. I have tire pressure set at 38 psi. Maybe if I lower it a tad it may help that.

Funny thing was when we pulled into the garage last night, the car had exactly 2007 miles on the odometor.