Camshaft Bearing Stud

jcampbell89

TDI
97 Jetta
So I was putting a cam back in, and one of the cam bearing cap studs broke on me. A little research both here and vortex yielded that they are very easy to break, but not where new ones could be purchased.

I've looked at idparts and some of the other parts sites, but haven't found anything. Anyone have a part number or a source where I can purchase a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
Metal man parts Maybe, ecs tuning, try Ellis vw as well you may still be able to get it if it cross references to a newer engine

jcampbell89

TDI
97 Jetta
Thanks for your help. I had not heard of ellis vw, but I was able to find a stock number from their site. ECS tuning has it also, but the price at ellis is better.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
These aren't usually interchangeable. Without aline boring, I don't see this working...

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
OP is referring to the actual threaded stud, not the cap itself ;)

Totally missed that.

I've never seen one of these studs snap. I'm thinking it should be interchangable with any 8v VW engine.

-Todd

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Did some guy in the past overtorque all of them so they are all suspect or is this the first time the caps have been removed ?

Were you using a torque wrench

jcampbell89

TDI
97 Jetta
Ellis Vw wanted 13 bucks for shipping, so the local vw is bringing them in for about 6 each.

Yes, I'm using a torque wrench. Stud was on the #3 cap and was one of the last ones that I torqued. The wrench didn't click and I went a little further than I felt the others had gone trying to get it to do so. Probably about a half turn past it was clear that something was wrong, and I backed it off. Did the last couple to make sure the wrench was still good, and they both went smoothly. Went back to try the troubled one again, and it barely turned before snapping.

Took everything back off this morning with no issue, and the broken stud came out easily (had at least half an inch to work with). I chose to buy 4 studs just in case, but the other 7 studs seem fine.

The part number references to something like 27 VW/Audi models mainly in the 90's model years, so yes it would probably match to a gasser as well. The closest source from the dealer was a warehouse in Southern CA.