First TDI - MKIV

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Last storm of the season was a good one. THOR dumped a solid 8" and made a fun drive home last Thursday...

Poser shot in the parking lot -

This past Sunday I was able to tackle the AERO AR25 that I picked up. I mounted it where the old exhaust was, made new hanger mounts and extended the exhaust tubing I made last fall.

New AR25 -

New band clamps - these worked amazing -

Installed -

I took a 90 degree mandrel bent section and cut it so there was a 45 angle and it shot down and out the passenger side just like the old exhaust -

Pretty happy with the way it came out and how quite it made the car when cruising on the highway. I may add another where the cat once was but time will tell. The closer they are to the turbo, supposedly the better they work. The car still barks when you get on it but the drone is mostly gone. If you dog it in 5th around 45mph it comes back but its to be expected I guess...

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Friday we got what is hopefully the last snow fall of the season. Went and picked up the lady so that we could hit the gym. Barely anyone there so I figured I would see what the Jetta could do and have a little fun at the same time. Well all was good till this happened -

Got stuck and ripped the stock skid off -

The reason I got stuck. Snow plowed the whole way -

It was all in good fun but was a little upset. I ordered up a Diesel Geek Panzer skid today and it should be here later this week. I have always wanted one and knew I would need one at some point. What better time than now right? I'll throw up some pics of the install once it gets in.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Was able to get the skid installed today. Not a bad process considering the old skid was removed by mother nature. Really happy with the DieselGeek by-pass I have on my car and knew I would love this just and much. I was right. Highly recommend this skid to anyone looking for one...

Here is the final product -

Plenty of clearance and I was worried about getting feed back from the skid echoing the motor but I didn't notice anything -

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Been quite some time since I have updated here...

Can't say that I am complaining as this was the whole reason I bought the TDI. The DWS's have seen better days at 47,000miles in just under a year & half. Time for some new kicks for Smokey. I decided on the Cooper RS3-A's. Why? Price, tread design and I have had good results with Coopers on my Dodge Ram. I know they will do great in the spring, summer and fall. Just not so sure about winter and i'll cross that bridge when I get there. I had them out in some pretty hard rain already and they preformed flawlessly.

UncleSpence

TDI
2003 Jetta
Great thread. Glad to see some breaks in posts. Assume that means that you've had fewer problems and less money to put into it. Bought my MKIV almost a year ago and am hoping to finally reach a month where I'm not putting $200 into the car.

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Great thread! Good to see someone taking great care of their mk4

STLvwConvert

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (buyback 8/29/17)
How about that fuel mileage change?

I went from a 98 Wrangler lifted with the works back in 2012 and bought a brand new TDI...went from 15mpg to averaging over 40!

How many miles you got on it now? Looks like it had quite a few when you bought it if my eyes didn't trick me?