www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2018, 07:41   #1
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auburndale, FL
Default 2015 Audi Q7 service question

We just bought a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige with 43,850 miles. I called Audi to make a 45k service and was told it calls for an oil change and brake flush. The cost was $560


I didnít ask what just the oil price was, but Iím tempted to do it myself now for about $120. I assume itíll be around $200 if I let them do it.

Is the brake flush that important if I donít have it done? Thatís my biggest question. I want to keep everything done correctly, but not sure how important this is at the moment.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 09:32   #2
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member
 
KITEWAGON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seacoast, NH
Default

The 2014 Touareg that we bought had factory services done like clockwork until 110K when we bought it. According to the records they flushed the brakes all the time. It must have had 4 brake flushes by the time we got it 3 years later if they really did it. Personally, I'd wait until it needed a brake job and do it then.

I think the Audi has the same engine as my Touareg. If so, I did an oil change for about $85 with the kit from ID parts. Despite no dipstick there is a dipstick tube and I had planned to pump the oil out. But my Mityvac 7201 extractor decided to break right as oil appeared in the tube so I decided to pull the drain plug (seals in the selector valve appear to be blown). Not the worst job from underneath, but on the Treg there are about 14 fasteners to pull down a giant belly pan that goes halfway down the car and that part sucked. I think my service records show $160 for an oil change at the dealer so that is probably $200+ at Audi.

So that's what I'd do. Skip the brake flush, DIY the oil change and keep nearly $500 in your pocket.
__________________
2014 Touareg TDI Executive, Canyon Grey, 130k
2014 JSW TDI, Platinum Grey, 43k
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 TRD 4x4, Silver, 165k
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:16   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

Brake fluid is pretty important. You know, brakes... they stop the car.

Not sure what the price breakdown is for a 45k service, but according to Alldata it is an oil change, tire rotation, DEF fluid fill.

The air/cabin/fuel filter are done at 55k (Audi's service intervals are slightly different than Volkswagen, for some reason, as they get a 5k service, then every 10k thereafter, Volkswagen goes straight to 10k then every 10k).

It is an expensive vehicle, it will be expensive to maintain. Especially at a dealer. $560 sounds high for all it should get, to be honest. I'd think more in the $300 range would be acceptable.
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2018, 07:05   #4
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auburndale, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Brake fluid is pretty important. You know, brakes... they stop the car.
Not sure what the price breakdown is for a 45k service, but according to Alldata it is an oil change, tire rotation, DEF fluid fill.
The air/cabin/fuel filter are done at 55k (Audi's service intervals are slightly different than Volkswagen, for some reason, as they get a 5k service, then every 10k thereafter, Volkswagen goes straight to 10k then every 10k).
It is an expensive vehicle, it will be expensive to maintain. Especially at a dealer. $560 sounds high for all it should get, to be honest. I'd think more in the $300 range would be acceptable.


I understand and realize itís important, but the brakes work. I guess I am being somewhat cheap and should get it done since I do stuff by the book in my cars.


I was quoted $560 at one dealer for oil change, brake flush, and adblue fill. The adblue should be free, no?


Dealer 2 quoted me $642for 45k service. $373 for oil change and $269 for brake flush.


I asked dealer 2 how much the 55k service would be and he told me $910!!!! I can get most the stuff off idparts for $200 or less and do it myself. Even if I need to buy a vcds scanner itís still cheaper. I can then do more services myself and save even more money when I have to change my fuel filter on both vehicles. This would help me long term to get to know the vehicles a bit more too.


My big 20k service (every 20k) only cost me about $300 do to at VW. It may be $400 with the fuel filter. I still canít believe he said $910.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2018, 09:18   #5
dunerking
Veteran Member
 
dunerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saugus,Ca
TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI
Default

I do most of the basic maintenance on our Cayenne and Jetta. Just did the brakes on the Cayenne for 1/3 the price as the dealer....and that's using OEM parts. I'll probably have my TDI shop do the 50k mile trans service for the Cayenne as the oil needs to go in pre-heated for a accurate level.
__________________
05 Dodge 3500 CTD,2.5 Carli suspension
13 Porsche Cayenne diesel
12 JSW OEM fog lights(sold back to VW)
04 Jetta-5 speed
dunerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2018, 11:01   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

Having worked at a multi-brand luxury dealership for a time, I think some of the cost is due to all the extras you get when you are a service customer there. Free loaners, nice fancy waiting room with a snack and coffee bar, a nice wash and quick detail when done, etc. Some even do concierge service. They'll bring a loaner to your house or work and take your car in for service and bring it back.

Some folks like that, want that, expect that. Some do not care. But in any event, those services are not "free". They have to be paid for somehow, and most big dealers (like the one I worked for) is an albatross of personnel and facilities cost. If you bring your car in for service, it will be touched by a service writer, at least two porters, maybe three, the technician, then you have whatever parts person(s) involved in looking up/obtaining whatever parts are needed, the booking department that does all the paperwork. The cashier. And all the other dozen people that all had some part in making your car's service happen. So it is VERY different than doing something yourself in your garage.

I do think there can be some price gouging on some standard level PM costs, though. Some are worse than others. And sometimes the actual service isn't very good to begin with, no matter the price.
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2018, 16:35   #7
Pittdawg
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Having worked at a multi-brand luxury dealership for a time, I think some of the cost is due to all the extras you get when you are a service customer there. Free loaners, nice fancy waiting room with a snack and coffee bar, a nice wash and quick detail when done, etc. Some even do concierge service. They'll bring a loaner to your house or work and take your car in for service and bring it back.
Some folks like that, want that, expect that. Some do not care. But in any event, those services are not "free". They have to be paid for somehow, and most big dealers (like the one I worked for) is an albatross of personnel and facilities cost. If you bring your car in for service, it will be touched by a service writer, at least two porters, maybe three, the technician, then you have whatever parts person(s) involved in looking up/obtaining whatever parts are needed, the booking department that does all the paperwork. The cashier. And all the other dozen people that all had some part in making your car's service happen. So it is VERY different than doing something yourself in your garage.
I do think there can be some price gouging on some standard level PM costs, though. Some are worse than others. And sometimes the actual service isn't very good to begin with, no matter the price.
That explains why my local Audi dealership quoted me something outrageous to simply replace the air filter. I told them it was insulting to me they wanted to charge me several hundred dollars for a $15 part and less than 10 minutes of labor.
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:58   #8
dunerking
Veteran Member
 
dunerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saugus,Ca
TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI
Default

It's these reasons why I try to do the most I comfortably can. The dealer wanted $1600 for front rotors/pads and sensors. I was able to purchase all OEM parts and caliper rode to support the calipers while swapping the rotors for $600. For me it was a no brainer and allowed me to inspect suspension components.
__________________
05 Dodge 3500 CTD,2.5 Carli suspension
13 Porsche Cayenne diesel
12 JSW OEM fog lights(sold back to VW)
04 Jetta-5 speed
dunerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 11:10   #9
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member
 
KITEWAGON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seacoast, NH
Default

Great explanation of dealer costs by OH. Thanks for that perspective.

That said, holy heck a $373 oil change is pretty crazy. Especially since it was $130 for that same engine at a VW dealer in 2016 according to an invoice I have. That is quite a premium. Only DIY or independent shops for me, thanks.
__________________
2014 Touareg TDI Executive, Canyon Grey, 130k
2014 JSW TDI, Platinum Grey, 43k
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 TRD 4x4, Silver, 165k
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 13:06   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

I would like to add to anyone servicing their own cars, given from the view of a professional to the non-professional: just make sure EVERYTHING actually gets done, AND that everything else gets looked over. All too often, I see the DIYr cars come in here when there is either something "big" they cannot handle, or something they cannot figure out (on a diagnostic scale), and discover the car is a neglected rolling pile of Fail. Not by intention, just by ignorance.

This isn't directed towards anyone in this thread, nor any group of people or specific brand owner at all. Just a general statement. We actually have state inspections here, that REQUIRE at least some level of professional look over the vehicle every other year, and it can be shocking what we see. I also feel that the Iffy Lube chains (Wal-mart included ) make for some really neglected butchered vehicles. I also see so many DIYrs gladly change their oil twice or thrice as often as necessary... and neglect EVERYTHING else... even things as simple as a tire rotation.

I hate when we have to deliver a multi-thousand dollar estimate when some or all of it could have been avoided had it been addressed sooner, or at least addressed in pieces as required. I end up with a LOT of used cars in my driveway this way. They go ~100k miles since I get to see them, then come in and I grocery list a pile of stuff wrong with them that went unchecked.
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2018, 05:22   #11
BarryT82
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charleston, WV
Default

My local dealership charges $120 for the brake fluid flush. I have the tools to do it myself (power bleeder), but used the dealership TDI prepaid card to cover the cost of it. I have taken my Audi’s to the local VW dealership for some things such as alignments because they charge less.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2018, 15:19   #12
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auburndale, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I would like to add to anyone servicing their own cars, given from the view of a professional to the non-professional: just make sure EVERYTHING actually gets done, AND that everything else gets looked over. All too often, I see the DIYr cars come in here when there is either something "big" they cannot handle, or something they cannot figure out (on a diagnostic scale), and discover the car is a neglected rolling pile of Fail. Not by intention, just by ignorance.

This isn't directed towards anyone in this thread, nor any group of people or specific brand owner at all. Just a general statement. We actually have state inspections here, that REQUIRE at least some level of professional look over the vehicle every other year, and it can be shocking what we see. I also feel that the Iffy Lube chains (Wal-mart included ) make for some really neglected butchered vehicles. I also see so many DIYrs gladly change their oil twice or thrice as often as necessary... and neglect EVERYTHING else... even things as simple as a tire rotation.

I hate when we have to deliver a multi-thousand dollar estimate when some or all of it could have been avoided had it been addressed sooner, or at least addressed in pieces as required. I end up with a LOT of used cars in my driveway this way. They go ~100k miles since I get to see them, then come in and I grocery list a pile of stuff wrong with them that went unchecked.



I have had all 3 of my VW's serviced at VW for everything, and I credit that to all 3 having zero mechanical issues (including my current '15 Passat TDI).

I most likely will just take the vehicle to Audi to let them look at it and do the 45k service. If I see they do a good job, then I will keep taking it back. If they do a bad job, then I will either try a different Audi dealer, the VW dealer I go to, or just do oil changes myself.

There are kits on idparts.com to do oil changes, cabin filters, fuel filters, etc. I don't mind buying a vcsd scanner if I have to. I've done plenty of oil changes on my vehicles in the past, but never have done any on the VW's we've had or have. For the rest of the things that need to be done I'd probably just take it to Audi to let them do the brake flush, transmission oil change, and whatever else needs to be done.



As far as the adblue, aren't we supposed to get that for free? Even if not, it's pretty cheap to just buy it and pour it myself.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2018, 18:51   #13
da.hs
Member
Default

VW dealer may be reluctant to do anything except basic oil change - they are here. VW scan tool does not work on Audi.



I took my Q7 to an Audi dealer for one major service, mostly as I had no service history for it. Dealer is nearly three hours away and I've nothing to do there except sit and wait so it won't happen too often.



Incidentally, my VCDS does not seem able to reset the Service Reminder on the Q7 - it has a control to do so but it doesn't work. May be just the 2010 ECU - not sure.
da.hs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:44   #14
seancashmere
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Default

Not to encourage anyone to neglect their brake service, but if you are observant, your brake fluid flush can wait until you feel some squish in your pedal. If your brakes are engaging quickly and stop you easily, I wouldn't worry about that service. The problem with brake fluid is it doesn't work as effectively if there is air in your lines. It's a closed system so it shouldn't have too much air in the lines but as the fluid ages, heats up, cools off, it tends to break down and can get less effective. It's a good idea to change your brake fluid, but I think the service interval on these are too low and is wasteful, personally. That being said, there's nothing like excellent braking. Nothing!
seancashmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2018, 17:29   #15
Tom_B
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central Oklahoma
Default

Pretty sure the recommended service interval also considers the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid, i.e. to minimize the amount of water absorbed and present in the system. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da.hs View Post
....
Incidentally, my VCDS does not seem able to reset the Service Reminder on the Q7 - it has a control to do so but it doesn't work. May be just the 2010 ECU - not sure.
Might do a bit of searching on ross-tech's site. (I just reset my 2014 A6 this weekend; I also used VCDS to reset our 2009 Touareg in years past.) There are two ways to perform the SRI, depending on the vehicle; a one step and a 3 step. If the SRI button in VCDS doesn't work, look at the 3 step method.
__________________
14 Touareg TDI; 14 A6 TDI
No longer in the driveway: 03 NB TDI, 04 Jetta GL TDI, 05 Passat GLS TDI, 09 Touareg Lux TDI
Tom_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WeatherTech Floor Mats FloorLiner - Audi Q7 - 2007-2015 - Black tompeter Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 0 September 9th, 2018 07:40
2014 vs 2015 Q7 TDI's SKAAUDIVW Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs 2 June 25th, 2018 06:44
2015 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige S-Line for Sale Q7Bob TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted 0 December 17th, 2017 17:23
Thinking About Selling my 2015 Audi Q7 TDI Q7Bob TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted 4 October 28th, 2017 16:18
Audi Q7 - Sept 2015 NADA values? dbdubb Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal 6 February 19th, 2017 18:17


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.18450 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 135.87 Kb. compressed to 114.78 Kb. by saving 21.08 Kb. (15.52%)]