www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old December 1st, 2018, 15:49   #1
joecitizennn

TDI(s): jetta
Default Single mass flywheel on a PD

I have a clunk in my dual mass flywheel on my 2005 mk4 tdi. I have been debating on single mass vs dual mass as a replacement. I really want to put a single mass on it because of the reduced cost and increased simplicity (aka... never have to replace it again), however there seems to be alot indicating that the dual mass is a vibration dampener as well as making clutch engagement softer. I have heard many claims that going to a single mass on a driveline designed for a dual mass can cause accelerated vibrational wear, especially to the transmission. Is everyone in agreement with this? Has anybody here gone single mass on a PD TDI and observed several hundred thousand miles of service with one? If so... what say you?
joecitizennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2018, 07:31   #2
dandywriter
Veteran Member

Sample size of one...
Switched from DMF at 87,000km/54,000mi; now have 245,000km/152,000mi on SMF conversion (Valeo) with no issues. I did get a 21lb flywheel - I imagine the greater violence of the ignition in diesels would not be so kind to very light flywheels - having mass there to soak it up seems a good idea to me. Great clutch feel in comparison with original clutch. To my ear, SMF is quiet - no rattle.

I've never heard anything about increased vibrational wear to the transmission from an SMF conversion.
2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Bosal hitch, frostheater, evo skidplate, upgraded rear springs and front spring dist kit (1" lift), GIAC Stg 1 tune, USA Spec iPod adapter, SMF clutch, Coolant Heater Grill Outlet, winter front, LED backup and lic lights, VCDS

dandywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2018, 14:02   #3
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandywriter View Post
I've never heard anything about increased vibrational wear to the transmission from an SMF conversion.
That applies to the syncros in the 6 speed, not the 5 speed. Apparently a SMF will beat the syncros in a 6 speed to death.

Go with this one: https://www.idparts.com/sachs-quiet-...a5-p-2831.html
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2018, 19:13   #4
joecitizennn

TDI(s): jetta

Good information. I trolled the internet for days reading and found only conflicting information. Sometimes it is best just to ask.
joecitizennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 11:15   #5
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecitizennn View Post
I have a clunk in my dual mass flywheel on my 2005 mk4 tdi. I have been debating on single mass vs dual mass as a replacement. I really want to put a single mass on it because of the reduced cost and increased simplicity (aka... never have to replace it again), however there seems to be alot indicating that the dual mass is a vibration dampener as well as making clutch engagement softer. I have heard many claims that going to a single mass on a driveline designed for a dual mass can cause accelerated vibrational wear, especially to the transmission. Is everyone in agreement with this? Has anybody here gone single mass on a PD TDI and observed several hundred thousand miles of service with one? If so... what say you?
Your stock flywheel has 13 years and however many miles. I would think a stock replacement would serve you just fine, no? By the time it's up for replacement you may be up for another vehicle.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 17:01   #6
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

IDK about anyone else, but the DMF on my 2006 BRM was just horrid to drive. People would say that it's a Diesel so you have to drive it differently. Complete nonsense. I replaced the DMF with a SMF at 55K miles because the DMF was just a chore to drive in traffic.

I wish that the quite clutch was available back then but other than some gear jangle at idle, the SMF is a joy to drive. I'm at 188K miles total car mileage and the clutch has been bullet proof. I still have the DMF setup with 55K miles on it and would give it away to anyone that might want it.

Mine never made a clunking sound but driving it from day one was just horrible. If your DMF is making a clunking sound, it's probably on it's way to grenading which will probably punch a hole in your bell housing.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; December 7th, 2018 at 17:15.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 17:47   #7
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

SMF setup in your car will be totally fine. It'll drive as well if not better than a DMF and it won't wear any components any faster in your car.

However, if the car is stock you might also consider the LUK DMF kit 17-050. Very smooth and quiet, and inexpensive. It can't hold a lot of power, but for a stock or mildly tuned car it's fine. And it'll probably last for as long as you care to keep the car.

You have options.