www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old December 6th, 2018, 09:17   #946
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

understand, FYI GTD turbo is almost plug and play, my PP down Pipe plugged right in at same location only needed to change flange at the tip of DP, intercooler pipe plugged right in only needed to get me a different elbow 2" to 2.5", and OMI fits right in just needed different diameter elbow as well, and you are in for fun
Old June 19th, 2019, 20:18   #947
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default 17/22 Turbo Swap

Back in January I bought a new 17/22 turbo from Aaron at Cascade German to swap out the old one, as I was sure it was leaking oil into my FMIC and whenever I hit the go pedal hard it would chirp and hesitate (did that ever since I installed it a decade ago). Mid-April when the weather finally warmed up and I hit 150,000 miles, I decided it was time to do the swap. I figured it would be a weekend job with one day dismantling the old and the next day reassembling the new.

Easy peasy, right? But No, No, NO, NO, NOOOOO!

It turned into a 7-week annoyance. It turns out that both the inlet and outlet diameters to the new 17/22 were different from the old 17/22, thus making the hoses I had useless. For the turbo inlet all I needed to do was to buy a reducer silicone hose from the OMI with a little cutting to shorten. The real problem was the turbo outlet hose, as my existing hose was a quarter inch too small and just would not fit over the lip of the turbo outlet.

I worked with Aaron to get the right hose components, but that took time with his European source and some wrong parts initially sent to me. I was hoping for one single turbo outlet hose like I had before with the old 17/22. But that started at a 2-inch ID, immediately went 90-degrees, and then angled and expanded to 2-inch ID, and that particular hose couldn't be found anywhere. What I ended up getting from Aaron's European source was a 2-inch ID, 90-degree elbow that I cut short by about 1-inch, a short metal tube with indentations, and a 2-inch ID to 2-inch ID, 45-degree hose. That all ended up working and I finally have my TDI back on the road as of this past Saturday.

The new 17/22 seems to be working, and so far I haven't noticed the annoying chirp and hesitation that I had with the old 17/22, which I suffered with for 10+ years. I really need to test it out some more to convince myself that the chirping is really gone.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Cobalt Blue (Birdie)

Last edited by rocketeer928; August 17th, 2019 at 15:48.
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 15:41   #948
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Sad news story about VW ditching wagons after 2019. If/when it's time to replace my Jetta TDI, I was seriously thinking of buying a Golf Sportwagen or Alltrack with a manual transmission. Perhaps someday I'll get a used one.

https://media.vw.com/releases/1180

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
Old July 30th, 2019, 08:24   #949
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Last winter I seriously damaged and cracked up the GLI spoiler on my bumper cover. I was going over four railroad tracks at about 25 mph after a slushy snowstorm that had frozen solid, and the car was bucking like a bull at a rodeo. I knew without a doubt that there would be damage, and it was bad.

Bought a new GLI spoiler and had it painted up and installed on the bumper cover.

yo
Old July 31st, 2019, 05:15   #950
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Cleanest old mK4 I ever ran across.. Glad to hear you are still taking good care of it.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 15:41   #951
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default Left Rear Window Lifter Motor

The joys of owning a 16-year old car.

If the weather is good, then I usually drive my motorcycle to work in the spring/summer/autumn. Rain was predicted last Monday, so it was the Jetta instead. I got halfway to work when I noticed that the rear driver's side window was down about two inches and wouldn't go up or down. The door lock wouldn't function either. Because of the pending rain, back home I went to use my pickup instead.

Window lifter motor was shot. Replaced and all is good now, including clearing the fault codes. Pretty easy job.

yo
Old September 16th, 2019, 05:39   #952
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Yesterday my club the Northeast Illinois Volkswagen Association had their annual VW-Fest at Volkswagen of Crystal Lake. My TDI won 2nd place in the Mid Water Cooled (1999-2008) class for the second year in a row.

yo
Old September 17th, 2019, 20:57   #953
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Congrats on taking 2nd place at your local VW-Fest. I'm sure you'd like to move up a spot though.
RTDI Build Thread
October 19th,2019 Cruise/GTG in Sturgeon Bay, WI
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote