www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old November 30th, 2018, 15:51   #1
woofie2
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/39/34
Default The Light truck market

Lacking the Amarok, or a legitimate VW option...

So I have been looking at the 1500 series diesel tucks, (yes, I know they can be had bigger(2500/3500), but I drive it daily, and there are smaller(Canyon/Colorado) need the space and hauling)

Dodge Ecodiesel is king in this space, largely because they have 5 years head start on everyone else. (and it is a former MB diesel engine from VM Motori)

Ford F-150 Power stroke, new 3.0L diesel

GM/Chevy 1500 new 3.0L inline 6 Duramax

All are targeted around 30MPG highway, and the 2019's are playing the we are releasing our specs last so we can be king. (RAM is holding out)
(been riding my 2013 Silverado, waiting and wanting, had wanted a 2013 RAM diesel, but could not hold out for them to be released)

Anyone have any information or thoughts?

I am leaning hard on a Ram Ecodiesel largely because they are proven, and seem to be easily serviced locally.

my online diggings-
http://www.thedrive.com/news/24073/2...ntially-leaked
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/10/3-0...igures-leaked/
oh- http://www.thedrive.com/news/23711/r...are-on-the-way
Old December 2nd, 2018, 18:51   #2
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

With cars being made for people shorter than me and harder to get in and out of, a light duty diesel truck may be in my future.

TM
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 09:26   #3
woofie2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
With cars being made for people shorter than me and harder to get in and out of, a light duty diesel truck may be in my future.

TM
Same issue, being 6'3" a VW 2 door has enough leg and head room for me, but the 4-doors were a little cramped to get in and out of.
add in a growing family, and a car is impractical for more than daily use.
Travel with 5 people and gear for a week is a challenge in a van or car, but a truck with a bed cover, lots of space for extras.

been rocking a Silverado since 2013, 100k miles later and I am shopping again, trying to decide if I want to risk a first run GM or go to a dodge.
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:07   #4
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Are these trucks 'medium duty' diesel or there is no technical difference to light duty?

Last edited by tikal; December 6th, 2018 at 11:20. Reason: Grammer
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:40   #5
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '09 Jetta

The V Motori 3.0L in the EcoDiesel is called the L630. It shares nothing with the MB Bluetec 3.0L found in the sprinter vans. They are completely different engines with different lineage. Both are crap for different reasons with bad track records.

If your actually considering buying an Ecodiesel then you haven't done your homework. There is a 100+ page thread of people who had engine failures, usually bottom end and rod bearings but not all. The Ram Ecodiesel was a great idea but FCA utterly failed in their execution. FCA should have used a small Cummins V6 like in the original conceptual design.

The Canyon/Colorado 2.8 Duramax has a higher payload rating and similar GVWR/Max Tow rating as a Ram Ecodiesel. They have a 6.2' bed available and will get you 30 MPGs in a 4x4 and 32+ in a 2wd.

The Canyon/Colorado 2.8 has the same tow rating as the new GM 1500 3.0 Duramax. Just under 8,000 Lbs.

The new GM 1500 and F150 Diesel are basically the same price as a full size HD 2500 V8 diesel in similar trim.
CleverUserName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:36   #6
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I purchased my 2017 Ecodiesel in February of this year. At almost 15k miles, I'm loving it. yes, there are 100+ pages discussing failures of the 3.0 liter VM diesel. The current guess is about 4% failures. Higher than the VW HPFP failures and how many pages and different threads have we had on that specific issue?

My truck is a 4x4 crew cab with the 3.92 axle for higher towing rating. We are planning on getting a travel trailer when we retire and seeing our great countries. That lowers my mileage a little. My 7 mile commute also doesn't help but my lifetime average is 22 mpg with the highest tank of almost all highway cruising (70-75 mph) was 26.5 mpg.

I have the Laramie package, so pretty well loaded. My two favorite options are the heated steering wheel and the cooled seats.

My wife's great idea was that when I traveled, with or without her, to rent a truck. Since September of last year, I drove all three brands a couple of times and various miles each. Shortest was probably two days and about 70 miles. The unloaded ride between the big three 1500 trucks is vastly different. Ram is by far the smoothest and the most comfortable seats. The Ford was next but was substantially higher priced for similar options. Chevy (GM) seats were the worst and the truck also handled like a truck. IMHO, it needed at least 100 pounds of dead weight in the bed to smooth the ride. The Canyon/Colorado suffers from many of the same issues as their big brothers. Fit and finish on the Ram rentals was also better than either the Ford or Chevy.
Old December 10th, 2018, 16:12   #7
woofie2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I purchased my 2017 Ecodiesel in February of this year. At almost 15k miles, I'm loving it. yes, there are 100+ pages discussing failures of the 3.0 liter VM diesel. The current guess is about 4% failures. Higher than the VW HPFP failures and how many pages and different threads have we had on that specific issue?
Yes I have dug in on some of those, the issues appear to be "minimized" software updates, or at least delayed some, later shifting and higher revving to reduce engine lugging.
(that's what an extended warranty is to help cover right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
My wife's great idea was that when I traveled, with or without her, to rent a truck. Since September of last year, I drove all three brands a couple of times and various miles each. Shortest was probably two days and about 70 miles. The unloaded ride between the big three 1500 trucks is vastly different. Ram is by far the smoothest and the most comfortable seats. The Ford was next but was substantially higher priced for similar options. Chevy (GM) seats were the worst and the truck also handled like a truck. IMHO, it needed at least 100 pounds of dead weight in the bed to smooth the ride. The Canyon/Colorado suffers from many of the same issues as their big brothers. Fit and finish on the Ram rentals was also better than either the Ford or Chevy.
Weird, the Ram tradesman they gave me as a loaner from the Chevy dealership when my Silverado was in the shop, rode rough, but got about the same MPG as my Silverado, accelerated like a scalded dog, and had long legs. Both trucks are crewcab trucks with the mid sized v8(5.3/5.7L), my silverado has the z71 package, so suspension was upgraded from the factory, but has 90k miles on it. The Fords I have ridden in or driven were always "truck feeling" rough, and hard on dental work.
Figured I need to drive a Bighorn before shopping off the Chevy. (coworker has a 2016 bighorn said it rides much better than his F150 ever did)

Back in the day my 2003 Jetta TDI I was getting over 50 mpg on the highway, but those days are over needing to haul 5 people with 2 in kids seats.
Old December 11th, 2018, 08:33   #8
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

You'll find lots of room for cars seats in the back of any of the full sized crew cabs. I don't have to deal with that on a daily basis anymore but it was nice to be able to stand up in the back while getting my granddaughter's car seat in place. My daughter also liked that she could stand up and strap her kid in. Not having to reach through and across has benefits, especially when you get to be my age. If you're putting three in the back, I'd recommend that you stick with the bench in the front. Gives room for another adult, or maybe baby sitter, to accompany you for some trips. Most of the brands have a huge armrest that comes down when you don't need the seat space. Since it's mostly just the two of us, we opted for the split bucket seats that are both heated and cooled.
Old December 13th, 2018, 18:46   #9
wensteph
Veteran Member

GM hasn't released the 3.0L in the 1500 yet. Supposed to be "early next year" (2019), but I've had GM salesmen tell me 1Q, 2Q and I read online 4Q.

I also don't think Ram has released their new 3.0L either, but I don't keep up with them.

Short version is Ford has the only 1/2 ton diesel on the road now.
wensteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 19:08   #10
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Are these trucks 'medium duty' diesel...
No!

"Medium duty" is bigger than a pickup, a F650 for example, but smaller than a semi truck.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote