Making popping noises in the front end

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi, 1981 Chevrolet LUV Diesel! Non-turbo :(
They look like similar to that new... In terms of not being seated tight. You'll find the rubber strut mount quite compressed, and the new one will make that gap look tighter for about a month.
So really no way to tell by that then. I should probably replace them anyway.

I used a 13/16 spark plug socket, 3/8 drive and a 3/4 inch open end wrench to turn the socket while holding the strut shaft with an allen wrench. This was to remove the top nut.
Thanks this helps.

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
I placed the order for strut mounts and bearings from idparts today. Will update.

sweetlou132

TDI
01 Jetta, 13 Passat, 09 Jetta
Bought the LCA bushings, sway bar bushings and links, ball joints and complete tie rods to refresh my entire front end. Soon realized i was in over my head and turned to my VW/Audi independent and asked if they were willing to do the work along with an alignment. "Sure, no problem". They call me and say it would be easier to just replace the LCA's instead of the bushings and it would only cost about $40 more. I agreed. Got the car back and it seems to have more clunks than before and now slightly pulls. Got into the trunk, where they returned the unused parts which I assumed were the LCA bushings, and I found they had only replaced one tie rod, LCA's and sway bar links. The ball joints, right tie rod and sway bar bushings were untouched. Checked the bill, and they described the parts that were untouched as still being in good condition.
Pissed! That is not why I bought all the parts. Guess it's time to find new shop after I speak my mind. Oh yeah, they charged me $130 each for the LCA's. Alot more than the "$40 more".

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
Bought the LCA bushings, sway bar bushings and links, ball joints and complete tie rods to refresh my entire front end. Soon realized i was in over my head and turned to my VW/Audi independent and asked if they were willing to do the work along with an alignment. "Sure, no problem". They call me and say it would be easier to just replace the LCA's instead of the bushings and it would only cost about $40 more. I agreed. Got the car back and it seems to have more clunks than before and now slightly pulls. Got into the trunk, where they returned the unused parts which I assumed were the LCA bushings, and I found they had only replaced one tie rod, LCA's and sway bar links. The ball joints, right tie rod and sway bar bushings were untouched. Checked the bill, and they described the parts that were untouched as still being in good condition.
Pissed! That is not why I bought all the parts. Guess it's time to find new shop after I speak my mind. Oh yeah, they charged me $130 each for the LCA's. Alot more than the "$40 more".
Hell with that! I would've refused to pay.

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I should have the bushings in Saturday so I'll update then.

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I got the strut bushings and bearings in today and it still makes the popping sound. It actually does ride a bit better I think. It sits about an inch higher now also. I think I'll also replace both my entire lower control arms and steering links.

Here's a pic after I did the replacement:

shuswap

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW auto
Well I got the strut bushings and bearings in today and it still makes the popping sound.
So, you removed the struts, compressed the springs and installed new strut-top bearings and it STILL makes the spring-popping sound when turning into or out of parking spaces??

I have to admit to being surprised by this. My springs can been seen to be twisting and then 'popping' when they suddenly release, at least a few times when turning lock to lock.

There goes that theory!

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
So, you removed the struts, compressed the springs and installed new strut-top bearings and it STILL makes the spring-popping sound when turning into or out of parking spaces??

I have to admit to being surprised by this. My springs can been seen to be twisting and then 'popping' when they suddenly release, at least a few times when turning lock to lock.

There goes that theory!
Yes it's still doing it. Like I said I'm going to replace the lower control arms on both sides is there anything I need to know before doing that? I can't think of anything else that would be making popping noises. I'll be putting them in this saturday and will update.

Last edited:

sqhschief

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to update for anyone that was following this thread... Replacing both lower control arms solved the popping. Two of the LCA bushings were completely worn and not serving any function; just metal against metal!

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Thanks for updating -- that's that piece that makes this thread useful to others! Glad to hear that worked out. Thanks for taking one for the team!

TDI
2000 Jetta ALH 1.9 5 speed
My car has this grinding sound and popping but the popping sorta went away idk what to do and when going slow it makes vibrations any advise also took it to a shop and they told me I need to replace drive lines tie rod ends lower control arms and ball joints idk what to do?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I just replaced my tie rod ends. Ball joints and control arms on the passenger side. Got the parts for the drivers side coming as it seems most of my popping has stopped. Hoping I don't have any when I'm done because at that point it means axles and I don't wanna deal with axles at this point. Too much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk