Replacing the timing belt on a 2005 Jetta Wagon

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Guys,

I've got a 2005 Jetta Wagon that's going to need the timing belt changed soon. I'm pretty comfortable working on cars but have a couple of questions. I downloaded the guide on replacing the timing belt on an A4 but the pictures don't look like my engine. Does anyone know if there are many differences between what is pictured and a BEW coded engine?

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase a timing belt kit? I've dealt with IMPEX before, but are there others to consider?

Also, If anyone has any tool links that would be helpful, please post them.

Do I need a VAG-COM? If so, I don't mind purchasing it because my overall cost would still be cheaper than the dealer.

And if anyone has any tips, tricks, or suggestions to share, please post them. Thanks!

Eric

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
For the kit:
www.metalmanparts.com or www.dieselgeek.com

Tools - see above or go to the source www.metalnerd.com

Not sure about VAG-COM. I know it's required for a non-PD engine, but not sure about the PD. Buy it anyways ;)

Another suggestion is to contact "Car 54" - Mat Ruhlen. He's in Woodbridge VA, which is only a bit more than 2 gallons from you. He'll still be cheaper than the dealer and you can watch so you know how to do it yourself the next time ;)

Tee Dee Eye

Veteran Member
TDI
05 jetta 01 golf
You don't need vag-com for PD TB change, the only special tool that I would buy rent or borrow is the crank lock the rest of the stuff is pretty generic. You may need the spanner wrench for the tensioner too though, I made one up quick by just welding some pieces of rod onto a metal handle.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Guys,

Thanks for the links and info. MOGolf, thank you very much for the document that outlines the entire procedure!!!!

Eric