www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 9th, 2015, 10:45   #1
Ookpic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 41
Default Inner Tie-rod squeaking creaking after new steering rack installed

2002 Golf TDI 2door. The original steering rack finally started leaking too much to keep in service so I purchased a used rack from wrecker for $90. $200 installing it in the car only to find out it was NFG!

Went to my local parts dealer and picked up a Cardone reman for $400 and another $200 for removing and installing again! Lesson learned about that particular wrecker!

So the "new" steering rack is working fine and doesn't leak BUT it is making a creaking/squeaking sound with suspension movement. The alignment guy narrowed it down to the inner tie-rod ball joint that attached directly to the rack under the boot. The passenger side is squeaking that drivers side he said is very tight (as in was difficult to turn the inner for alignment purposes).

This pisses me off to say the least! I emailed Cardone and they said to talk to the retailer that sold me the rack. They're just gonna say bring it back and we'll give you another one, that's just gonna cost another day and $200 to swap it again.

So on the question....

I'm planning on hoisting the car, popping out the outer tie-rod ends and cutting off the small boot clamp and sticking some sort of lubricant with a straw on the end to shoot some lube into that ball and socket and work it around hoping they will loosen up. Which lubricant is recommended?? I have lithium, LPS greaseless, moly chain lube, etc.

OR

Should I slide the boot off entirely and grease it with CV grease?
2002 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) 5 spd | GLI Leather Interior | Malone Tuning Stage 5 | 17/22 Hybrid turbo | Eurojet SMIC | PD150 Intake | PD150 TIP | PD150 Upper Airbox | R32 Lower airbox | R32 DSG Snorkel | ARP Headstuds | WaveTrac LSD | DBW Tuned R520 nozzles | DC Stage III+ Clutch | PD150 Stealth Race Pipe | Whitbread Performance Innovations custom 3" exhaust & IC piping | TT LCA Bushings | Durometer 80 Dogbone with poly insert
Ookpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 13:14   #2
Wankel7
Veteran Member

If you can't reseal the boot with the oem style clamp I think you will have bigger issues down the road that will vpid your rack warranty.

Can you talk them into replacing just the offending inner rod? That is easier than swapping the rack.
DLC520, Audi Avant Rear Wiper, .658 5th gear, FX-R HID Retrofit, Philips DRL9 , Atlas skid plate, trailer hitch, ventectomy, Half FIS Euro Cluster, Frostheater, ceramic tint, Scangauge II, and EGR deleted.
VCDS -HEX/CAN & VagTacho available
Wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 13:19   #3
Ookpic
Veteran Member

I should have added that I would be replacing the small clamp with a proper OE oetiker clamp after lubricating inner end. Just looking for ideas on which lube to use and what would be the best way to do it. If I find the inner joint is completely screwed, I'll just purchase replacement inners. They sound like they just need lubricating though. Thanks for the response!
2002 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) 5 spd | GLI Leather Interior | Malone Tuning Stage 5 | 17/22 Hybrid turbo | Eurojet SMIC | PD150 Intake | PD150 TIP | PD150 Upper Airbox | R32 Lower airbox | R32 DSG Snorkel | ARP Headstuds | WaveTrac LSD | DBW Tuned R520 nozzles | DC Stage III+ Clutch | PD150 Stealth Race Pipe | Whitbread Performance Innovations custom 3" exhaust & IC piping | TT LCA Bushings | Durometer 80 Dogbone with poly insert
Old August 9th, 2015, 16:38   #4
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

They should be greased up, if not I think regular grease would do seeing as there not under extremes of heat or that. I used jubilee clips on my boots last time, learnt the hard way that cab;e ties just don't cut it.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:09   #5
Ookpic
Veteran Member

For Closure...

This turned out to be a bad inner tie-rod. I tried regreasing but that was not the issue. I finally just changed the inner tie-rod and once I popped the outer, it was obvious there was some sort of manufacturing issue on the ball and socket at the inner side. Swapped it out and problem was resolved. Downside, was that even though I counted rotations when removing and replacing the outer tie-rod, the car still required an alignment.
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:36   #6
Franko6

Cardone is Chinese. Never used them. Racks are usually not a major issue. I wouldn't be too hard on the wrecking yard. The tie rods, on the other hand are a regular item, especially the outer tie rod ends. We use name-brand and don't get burned by the CRAP.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:42   #7
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Thank you for posting back Closure!
Salvage yards don't do much in the way of parts inspection, they do usually guarantee for replacement. It's been a while since I did mine, but it was like $220 US. No idea what it was, I had to do it overnight and just went to the local chain store. But it's not uncommon for mechanics to mark up parts costs.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:37   #8
Ookpic
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
Cardone is Chinese. Never used them. Racks are usually not a major issue. I wouldn't be too hard on the wrecking yard. The tie rods, on the other hand are a regular item, especially the outer tie rod ends. We use name-brand and don't get burned by the CRAP.
Yeah, it was a monetary decision to go with Cardone. At the time, I didn't have as many option as I do now where I am and I needed the car back. I knew it was chinese but it's like half the price of OE and I was nervous about trying another used one. When installed, I did have the mechanic remove and replace outers with Febi. When I pulled outers to diagnose the squeak, I replaced the entire rod (inner and outer) with Lemforder. No problems since. Thanks for the input.