www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 5th, 2016, 13:51   #616
JerryPT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/43/47

I agree, if someone wants to go over the speed limit they need to do it safely and not bother drivers who are committed to not getting a ticket, or getting better mpg. Here's what I did-- had a vinyl lettering shop make me a sign in big safety-yellow letters so anyone behind me can see that I'm not going to speed up, and they can just pass me whenever it's safe to do so.

What's the trick to making the photos show? They're in the tdiclub gallery.

Last edited by JerryPT; January 6th, 2016 at 06:37.
JerryPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 00:33   #617
deejaaa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: JETTA IS FOR SALE!

they dont show but here's the link:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...-limit&cat=506
Old June 4th, 2016, 19:24   #618
millere5815
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: average 53, Best 59.34

almost 5 months without a post. Is no one getting high numbers anymore, or is it just so common that no one posts about it.
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 300k+ miles, Bosio DLC 1019 Injector Nozzles, 5 speed swap, .658 5th gear, SB stage 2 daily, single mass flywheel, PD150 intake, EGR delete, 1.8T pancake pipe, 11mm IP, VNT17 Turbo, TacoTaco SMIC, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 4 tune w/ Dynamic Idle, De-cat w/ high flow muffler 156HP, 298FT/LB

millere5815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 09:03   #619
deejaaa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: JETTA IS FOR SALE!

mine has dropped to between 52-54. been driving faster and with A/C on. it was a compromise.
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:38   #620
millere5815
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: average 53, Best 59.34

Last night marked my 7th tank in a row over 800, and the 2nd one in a row that could have been over 900 if i wanted to push it.
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 300k+ miles, Bosio DLC 1019 Injector Nozzles, 5 speed swap, .658 5th gear, SB stage 2 daily, single mass flywheel, PD150 intake, EGR delete, 1.8T pancake pipe, 11mm IP, VNT17 Turbo, TacoTaco SMIC, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 4 tune w/ Dynamic Idle, De-cat w/ high flow muffler 156HP, 298FT/LB

millere5815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 21:25   #621
Lucias_D

Fuel Economy: 48-49
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Scan gauge II has for me not been very accurate with P and G. It seems like even with half-the-way-there every tank calibration doesn't prevent wild swings. Also notable that during pulses (but almost never during steady driving under load), the instant mileage is often 9999. I'm sure that's how it tries to "correct", but it seems to lead it to artificially inflate the mileage more in P and G than it does when just cruising (this tank it read 73 instead of 59!). Another factor may be that my wife drives my car quite a bit during most tanks (and with a very different style), not sure if that confuses it.
I asked around on the forums a long time ago and the EXACT same thing was happening to me. I saw my mileage go up big time, got excited, and saw it fade when my 1/2 tank mileage wasn't much different than normal. Confirmed on fill up that my SCII was incredibly inaccurate when using P&G.
...still trying for that 900 tank! Testing out Version 1 of a kammback I made recently. Maybe that will get me there. Either way, a tune and/or nozzles are also coming
Old November 14th, 2016, 13:22   #622
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

I cracked 700 miles once with the JSW, and was on fumes doing it. My hats off to those able to go 900+ miles on 15 gallons.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 17:17   #623
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Can't get anywhere near 800 miles to a tank, let alone 900-1000, damn,

1000 miles to 15 gallons is 66 mpg, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryPT View Post
I agree, if someone wants to go over the speed limit they need to do it safely and not bother drivers who are committed to not getting a ticket, or getting better mpg. Here's what I did-- had a vinyl lettering shop make me a sign in big safety-yellow letters so anyone behind me can see that I'm not going to speed up, and they can just pass me whenever it's safe to do so.

But do you sit in the left lane plugging up traffic and being an ahole?
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:08   #624
JerryPT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/43/47

Thanks for bringing up my post from years ago about the notice on the back of my car, "I Drive The Limit." Decades without a speeding ticket and I like that. I drive the speed limit in the right lane, of course. All the best to you.
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:54   #625
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
Can't get anywhere near 800 miles to a tank, let alone 900-1000, damn,

1000 miles to 15 gallons is 66 mpg, wow.

But do you sit in the left lane plugging up traffic and being an ahole?

Gorman (CA) to Sacramento last week: 343 miles on I-5N. 6 1/2 gallons.

I'm happy with 52.8. That's a far cry from 66.....(and I had a tailwind!)

ez (concerned about TDI fuel numbers withdrawal symptoms - but do not
wish to drive a toaster).
Old November 15th, 2016, 08:48   #626
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryPT View Post
Thanks for bringing up my post from years ago about the notice on the back of my car, "I Drive The Limit." Decades without a speeding ticket and I like that. I drive the speed limit in the right lane, of course. All the best to you.
Then all the best to you, thanks for being a responsible driver,

Tired of reading about left lane warriors who think its their right to do the speed limit in that lane without a care in the world for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
Gorman (CA) to Sacramento last week: 343 miles on I-5N. 6 1/2 gallons.
I'm happy with 52.8. That's a far cry from 66.....(and I had a tailwind!)
ez (concerned about TDI fuel numbers withdrawal symptoms - but do not
wish to drive a toaster).

I'd be happy with 50, lol, but I shouldn't complain, 40 ish isn't anything to complain about in a car that's paid for.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.

Last edited by turbovan+tdi; November 15th, 2016 at 08:50.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 16:43   #627
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

I know this is an old thread, but a few weeks back I hit 823.6 miles with my 2015 Passat TDI. Right now I'm at 663 miles with 275 miles till 0, so I may reach the 900 club. I've unfortunately had to deal with a lot of city traffic a few days, so it has killed my mileage. I have more city driving tomorrow, so it will probably kill my mileage. I'm sure I can get at least 850 miles out of this tank, but hoping for 900. It will be close.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 21:56   #628
Tankbuster

Has your TDI been fixed by VW yet?
Tankbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 17:11   #629
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

It only has phase 1. I'm waiting a month or two for phase 2.

Today I was able to get 900+ miles. I'm honestly surprised I was able to get it because this week I had a lot of idling and city driving when taking my daughters to their activities. This morning I was able to get my best 66.6mpg (realistic 62.6 mpg'ish b/c trip meter off 4+- mpg). On Monday I got 64.5mpg (60.5mpg).

On the way home when I started up my car I had 55mpg till empty, but I know getting out of Orlando city traffic was going to eat up a lot. It actually went pretty good getting out, but I did have to turn off my AC in the rain once I started driving on the highway. It actually felt pretty good b/c no water was getting it I just cranked them down a tad while driving to make sure I have enough to get home (62 miles). Unfortunately there were 2 wrecks that slowed traffic down, so when I was 22 miles away I hit 0 miles. I know there is about a 1.5g fuel reserve, so I wasn't too worried about running out. I was going to stop just as I passed 900 miles, but fuel was $3.44 off the interstate. I decided to just drive by my house b/c it was only $3.04 a gallon. Needless to say I was really pushing it because I almost pumped 18 gallons. I've never pumped more than 17.2 gallons before.

I know I'd be able to get 1,000 miles, but I will not try it till my daughters are done with their swim lessons, because that's twice a week I have to deal with city driving for the next few weeks on top of the other day I take them to gymnastics. I actually drove a little faster when I first started this tank, but it's kind of nice to drive a little slower in the morning. I usually get to work around the same time, maybe 5 minutes more, get to work safer, not rough on my car since I'm not using a lead foot. I rarely have to tap my brakes other than normal red lights/stop signs, so I'm constantly driving, unlike when I'm going in the fast lane. It actually seems to help traffic with less congestion, because people are able to to get over and pass if they want to, unlike when all 3 lanes are moving the same speed, or there is a person like me in the fast lane, lol. If someone is driving slow (but a little faster than me) and wants to pass me then traffic in the middle lane is moving fast enough that there isn't an issue, because they can still easily pass me and then move back over without causing congestion. If there is a slow person in the middle lane then people can move over to the fast lane or pass in the slow lane because no one is usually around me.

Whenever I go for the 1,000 mile tank I'll probably keep AC off in the morning and just crank the windows down just a tad, since it's still super early in the morning and pretty cool still. I'll keep my speeds slower from the start. As long as there aren't any major accidents it should be pretty easy. I basically got two extra days (8 instead of 6) of driving for free, because my fill ups are usually around 680-700 miles with 30+- miles left till empty.

Last edited by Smashed Ixnay; May 17th, 2018 at 17:46.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:23   #630
red16vdub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashed Ixnay View Post
It only has phase 1. I'm waiting a month or two for phase 2.

Today I was able to get 900+ miles. I'm honestly surprised I was able to get it because this week I had a lot of idling and city driving when taking my daughters to their activities. This morning I was able to get my best 66.6mpg (realistic 62.6 mpg'ish b/c trip meter off 4+- mpg). On Monday I got 64.5mpg (60.5mpg).

On the way home when I started up my car I had 55mpg till empty, but I know getting out of Orlando city traffic was going to eat up a lot. It actually went pretty good getting out, but I did have to turn off my AC in the rain once I started driving on the highway. It actually felt pretty good b/c no water was getting it I just cranked them down a tad while driving to make sure I have enough to get home (62 miles). Unfortunately there were 2 wrecks that slowed traffic down, so when I was 22 miles away I hit 0 miles. I know there is about a 1.5g fuel reserve, so I wasn't too worried about running out. I was going to stop just as I passed 900 miles, but fuel was $3.44 off the interstate. I decided to just drive by my house b/c it was only $3.04 a gallon. Needless to say I was really pushing it because I almost pumped 18 gallons. I've never pumped more than 17.2 gallons before.

I know I'd be able to get 1,000 miles, but I will not try it till my daughters are done with their swim lessons, because that's twice a week I have to deal with city driving for the next few weeks on top of the other day I take them to gymnastics. I actually drove a little faster when I first started this tank, but it's kind of nice to drive a little slower in the morning. I usually get to work around the same time, maybe 5 minutes more, get to work safer, not rough on my car since I'm not using a lead foot. I rarely have to tap my brakes other than normal red lights/stop signs, so I'm constantly driving, unlike when I'm going in the fast lane. It actually seems to help traffic with less congestion, because people are able to to get over and pass if they want to, unlike when all 3 lanes are moving the same speed, or there is a person like me in the fast lane, lol. If someone is driving slow (but a little faster than me) and wants to pass me then traffic in the middle lane is moving fast enough that there isn't an issue, because they can still easily pass me and then move back over without causing congestion. If there is a slow person in the middle lane then people can move over to the fast lane or pass in the slow lane because no one is usually around me.

Whenever I go for the 1,000 mile tank I'll probably keep AC off in the morning and just crank the windows down just a tad, since it's still super early in the morning and pretty cool still. I'll keep my speeds slower from the start. As long as there aren't any major accidents it should be pretty easy. I basically got two extra days (8 instead of 6) of driving for free, because my fill ups are usually around 680-700 miles with 30+- miles left till empty.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but the Passat has a bigger fuel tank. So 900/1000 miles is not record breaking.

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote