Wet Passenger floor, 96 Passat TDI

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Driving through a recent major storm, I saw that my passenger floor mat was getting a little wet. Lifting it up the floor was soaked. Mostly the front, some in the rear.

Looking up under the dash I could see some water droplets on the flap for the air recirculator vent under the pollen filter.

I recently had to do some major AC including replacing the evaporator, so I'm thinking it could be around the pollen filter box.

I think I may have a pollen filter case leak, but I'm trying to figure where it's coming from around the filter. The filter was dry, but maybe from underneath?

The drains in the wheel wells seem to be clear as I blew them out with compressed air.

Anys suggestions before I tear it apart!

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I may have answered my own question.

I blew out all the drains in the sunroof and under the hood. None seemed blocked.

But I did find a clip that holds the pollen filter housing down tight had popped off, so it may not have put the necessary pressure on the gasket. I poured in some water and no leak yet.

I suppose time will tell!

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I use a shop vac to suck most of the water out of the carpet. Afterwards, I put a small electric fan blowing on the carpet and under it for a few hours. I generally lift the carpet up a few inches, and take the sound insulation out and let it dry hanging over the wash line. Otherwise it'll never ever dry out.

MicroVW

TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
Also check your rain tray and see if it goes over the air intake or is setting on top of it.

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I got the water sucked out with the shopvac and left it open on a sunny day with the fan running. Seems all dried out now. So I should know after the next big rain!