Best way to prevent intercooler from icing?

tbone1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6-speed
Ive been reading a few different posts on this, and ive heard of a few different ideas. So my question is, what is the best method to help prevent the intercooler from icing? I was told to maybe get pipe insulation from home depot and cover up the upper and lower grill with it, seen this on mk4's but would this work on my mk6?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I know it's located down low and you guys in the north deal with far more snow and cold than I do but, won't the heat from the compressed air keep it melted off?

tbone1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6-speed
not from what i hear, and from all the stuff ive been reading, the 2011's are having a big problem

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Drive more aggressively, push the moisture out of the system and DON'T let it pool up.

Lugging the TDI will cause a build up of moisture and leave it to freeze in the intercooler.

The problem is the result of incorrect driving of the car, not the car.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Pete, with so many people having the problem I find that hard to believe. More people are having the issue this year because the winter is milder. Driving harder will not stop water from turning to ice as it hits the below freezing aluminum.

-J

tbone1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6-speed
I drive it aggressive for the most part, not beating on it, but after its warmed up I shift at 3,000, and when I get on the highway I get it up to the 4,000 range.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
My FMIC is the second closest thing to the ground (first being the oil pan). I realize this isn't an apple to apples comparison, but I've never had ICE build up so substantially I thought there would be a problem.

Its cold outside to start with so the intercooler doesn't need to be as efficient. Besides, appears your car is still pretty much stock, no need to worry I would think. are the 2011-2012 diesels equipped with FMIC stock now? I never paid any mind but if they are that's pretty interesting.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Keeber: The problem is that the CR Jetta and Golf feed post-catalyst exhaust back into the intake. Ever see steam coming from your exhaust on a cold day? That's what's condensing inside the intercooler, turning to ice, then melting when the car is parked.

-J

tbone1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6-speed
I think I have a side mount IC, I know there is a TSB kit from the dealer that is on a big back order right now, and they need to find a reason to replace it, from what I hear it help with this problem, but I'm trying to prevent it, not wait until it happens then tow it to the dealer

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Drive more aggressively, push the moisture out of the system and DON'T let it pool up.

Lugging the TDI will cause a build up of moisture and leave it to freeze in the intercooler.

The problem is the result of incorrect driving of the car, not the car.

With rising engine load and engine RPM, the recirculation of exhaust gases is shifted to the Low Pressure EGR system to increase the recirculation rate.

Is this were most of moisture comes from?I do agree about not lugging the TDI.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
For the record, this topic is about MOISTURE CONDENSATION INSIDE the intercooler, lovingly known as intercooler icing because it will sometimes freeze inside the intercooler.

Driving more aggressively WILL NOT solve the problem.

The only solutions to the problem are 1.) Deleting the cause of the problem, or 2.) Installing an ECU controlled air to water intercooler system that will keep the cooler above the dewpoint of the charge air.

It is obvious that solution number 1 is both a cheaper and a less complicated option.

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
This is my 9th winter with my TDI and have experienced temps as low as -42. No problems with icing up. Square tires and concrete seats yes but no intercooler ice.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
This is my 9th winter with my TDI and have experienced temps as low as -42. No problems with icing up. Square tires and concrete seats yes but no intercooler ice.
It just happens to CR engines from 09 to 12 excluding the Passot which has air to water I/C.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Best way is to get the dealer to own up to the engineering fault, have them preform their known fix to their known issue.

I've seen moisture (a few tbls) in my IC on a 80 degree summer day after traveling 50 highway miles with 4 people in the car.

Agreed that we can't keep moisutre out of the IC with this EGR system, but the key maybe keeping the moisture from freezing and building up, thats where driving harder (more heat) added with blocking off the IC as much as possible.

BTW its not a side mounted or bottom mounted IC, it's a massive 3'x2' IC thats the same size as the radiator, similar size used in the Audi S3.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3417199&postcount=792

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Best way is to get the dealer to own up to the engineering fault, have them preform their known fix to their known issue.

I've seen moisture (a few tbls) in my IC on a 80 degree summer day after traveling 50 highway miles with 4 people in the car.

Agreed that we can't keep moisutre out of the IC with this EGR system, but the key maybe keeping the moisture from freezing and building up, thats where driving harder (more heat) added with blocking off the IC as much as possible.

BTW its not a side mounted or bottom mounted IC, it's a massive 3'x2' IC thats the same size as the radiator, similar size used in the Audi S3.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3417199&postcount=792
If you want the moisture out drive the car properly.

One good romp with the go pedal and all that moisture is out of the inter-cooler along with any accumulated oil.

If people would start driving these cars properly and stop lugging them as if they are a 1900 rpm boat motor, they would not have these issues.

These are also the same people that trash a VNT and kill the engines compression from short shifting at 1600 rpm.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
This problem is specific to the 09 and newer TDIs, moisture is accumulating inside the intercooler. This thread is not about snow on the surface of the intercooler.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This problem is specific to the 09 and newer TDIs, moisture is accumulating inside the intercooler. This thread is not about snow on the surface of the intercooler.

Thanks for the clarification! This is one good example of why a new Thread or Post should be clearly stated. Otherwise, there is going to be lots of speculation and experience expressed based on a misunderstanding. And, lastly, we are all guilty of not closely reading a Thread starter post or the following posts as we give our own two cents worth.

Well, this is an intersting occurance.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Just had my 2011 Golf to the dealership for the DSG and fuel line recall and update. The service girl said a lot of 2011 TDI's have been in for a no start problem. Intercooler icing. I haven't had the problem. Have the lower grill 1/2" pipe insulation on. Not sure if this stopped any icing of IC. The tech taped off the air intake and removed the air intake pipe. This should help with no start issues. They have a lot of parts on order to fix this problem. Not sure what parts they are ordering. They said the VW engineers are working on it.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Just checked my IC hoses since doing it last year. Driver's side had a dribble of water and passenger side had about an ounce of sludge. It gets romped daily

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you want the moisture out drive the car properly.

One good romp with the go pedal and all that moisture is out of the inter-cooler along with any accumulated oil.

If people would start driving these cars properly and stop lugging them as if they are a 1900 rpm boat motor, they would not have these issues.

These are also the same people that trash a VNT and kill the engines compression from short shifting at 1600 rpm.
Are you recommending that all commonrail owners drive 90 mph down the highway in 4th gear? Good grief, Pete. :rolleyes:

Driving habits are not the cause of this problem.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I think I have a side mount IC,...
Your sig says that you have a 2011 TDI. This means that you already have a FMIC. All CR (2009+) TDIs have the intercooler in the front. It is between your radiator and your AC condenser.

Have Fun!

Don

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I'm in SC and while I haven't had a non-start event, I am removing small amounts of water/sludge yearly. I'd imagine if I went for 3-4 years without doing so, it could very well be a problem.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I would cover the radiator inlets (as I do with the mk4) and run a regen. If the temperature can stay under control, the reduced cooling at the intercooler should help keep the moisture from condensing. It would be overall better to just have a purpose designed condenser in the LP EGR system pre-compressor to control moisture level in the intake air.

tbone1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6-speed
Jcrews, are you talking about covering the grill with say, foam pipe insulation? And how do you just perform a regen, doesn't it do it on its own?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Yes, and there is a service regeneration mode although you may not be able to initiate it all the time - the computed soot load may have to be above a threshold. I just don't have the functional description handy right now.

Even with the grille covered, the fans should be able to provide enough recirculation cooling, but I'd rather supervise the process at least once while parked in calm air.