2000 jetta TDI starts but won't stay running

yseent

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hey guys/gals,

Kinda new here.

Having trouble with my 2000 Jetta TDI. It starts just fine, runs for about 2 seconds, and DIES. The way it starts, runs, everything is just fine. The 2 seconds that it is running for it will even rev up for me. But every time, it starts, and dies. If I keep the ignition turned in the start position through the 2 second start/run time, the car just keeps cranking but does nothing else.
A couple of days ago, I was having issues with it because I was working on the door and it wouldn't start because of a loose connection in the door panel.
The guys over at vwvortex helped me out with this issue, you can see the post here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ectronic-issue

However, I got the door back together properly with all the wires maintaining a good connection and the car started no problem. That was 2 or 3 days ago. The car drove around the block, and back into the garage, has sat there since.

Today, I put my other battery in it. This car has run just fine, with both batteries in it (at separate times...) Swapping batteries has never caused me any issues before.

Shortly after switching batteries I went to start the car, and that's when it started doing the start-run for 2 seconds-then die, routine. Tried to start it for over an hour(resting a few minutes every 2-3 times trying to start it), even hooked up jumper cables.

I had an old volvo that did something similar to this, and there was a hole melted in the hose just past the air sensor/regulator, so there was a pressure or vacuum issue. The volvo sputtered a lot more and it wasn't any consistency to when it would die, however. This Jetta, is doing the same thing over and over again, like clockwork. I checked all the hoses that I could see and feel and they all seemed in good condition. Tommorrow I will take the hose off that goes into the manifold and see how that looks. However there shouldn't be a lot of junk clogged up in there, I did a complete intake manifold clean just in July 2010.

As of now, it's still doing the same routine. I have disconnected the battery cable and I'm letting it sit overnight that way, just in case that helps.

However, I have no idea what's wrong with this. I know it could be related to my previous issues, but I have no clue how, considering it has started and ran just fine in between then and now.

To me, it's as if it has or is getting enough fuel to start and run for 2 seconds but not anymore. Tommorrow I will take one of the lines off of the fuel filter to see if fuel is being pushed through when I try to crank it.

Any other suggestions? Any and all help is appreciated. Also while I have worked on my own VW quite a few times I'm not as savvy as many of you on here are, I might not understand some of the more technical language or abbreviations.
Thanks in advance.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Sounds like the immobilizer is kicking in. Do you see the small "key" icon on the cluster?

yseent

TDI
2000 Jetta
By cluster, do you mean dash lights? If so, then no, I haven't seen a small "key".

yseent

TDI
2000 Jetta
I'm not familar with the Immobilizer. What does this do, where is it located, and any idea why it might have gone out (in other words, something I have done potentially, or just goes out with time?)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'm not familar with the Immobilizer. What does this do, where is it located, and any idea why it might have gone out (in other words, something I have done potentially, or just goes out with time?)
Essentially, the computer doesn't recognize your key as being valid (it's forgotten that it's a valid key). It thinks you're trying to steal the car.

Try the other key fob, or the valet key, see if it runs more than 2 seconds.

I'm not sure exactly what causes the computer to not recognize a key it's programmed for.

yseent

TDI
2000 Jetta
I read something about that online but the car in question didn't seem to have a similar scenario so I wasn't quite sure.
I'll check this first thing in the morning and let you know how it goes Thanks for all your assistance so far. If it is the immobilizer, do I have to replace it, or get the keys reprogrammed? Is the dealer the only one who can do this?

yseent

TDI
2000 Jetta
Ok, so I went out and gave it a try this morning with my other key. Doing the exact same sh!t, and the little light on the dash with the car and key you were telling me about is flashing at me.

So I beleive you are right about the immobilizer. How do I fix this?

yseent

TDI
2000 Jetta
The key that I use regularly is the valet key. The key fob broke a while back and the little metal key peice is broken off the fob, and the computer chip is in the fob, so that key does not work to start the car, because of the immobilizer not picking up the chip.
This morning I went out with my valet key (after leaving battery disconnected all night) and it started right up, no problems running. I don't know why these damn things do this, but it's fixed for now. I was using the exact same key last night to start it and it was doing the start, run, then die routine. I'm going to hit the road and when I get to my destination I'll update. Thanks for your help guys and gals!

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Anecdotal at best but maybe helpful...

For whatever reason shortly after buying my 2000 Jetta used I had the immobilizer freak out one day and not let the car start after being shutoff at a store.

Took 15 mins and lots of trys but it eventually fired up and stayed running. Never did it again after that. Ghost in the machine perhaps?!?

:D