2006 Jetta Tdi - loosing coolant - can't find leak

ferrarispider95

My girlfriend was driving home from being out of town and within 30 min. of being home the low coolant light came on. She gave me a call and I told her to monitor the temperature and if it starts to climb above 190, give me a call.

She drove home, car did not heat up past 190. I went and bought coolant filled it up to the mark in the reservoir tank and thought I had fixed the problem.

After driving the car the next day for 5 miles, the light comes on again. I come and fill it up, thinking that I just did not get enough in there the first time. However it drops again.

So I thinking there has to be a leak somewhere, but I find no puddles, and I dont see a water trail. Car is not overheating and car is not acting funny. It drives perfectly fine.

It has 76k miles on it, so it wouldn't kill me for a timing belt change if it is the water pump.

We have stopped driving it, until we can find a solution.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
scary!

check your oil and see if it is milky, I had a toyota that did that, ran jest fine, but kept loosing coolant, and eventually would overheat, it was a bad headgasket

if you oil looks good, it is not the problem

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I'd remove the belly pan and place some newsprint under the car after driving it for 5-10 miles.... if you see water, you've confirmed a leak. Any odd color smokes? Whiteish? I hate to suggest it, but a leaking headgasket... could be a possibility (thats why my dad's golf was "losing" coolant)....

ferrarispider95

talked to my girlfriend, she is now confirming the possibility of a spot that my Aunt noticed on her driveway a couple days ago.

Makes me wonder if water pump leaking on to plastic belly pan, didn't drip until she parked on an incline. ???????

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
that can sure happen. The great thing about G-12 is it glows under a blacklight. Check out a post by HermTDI.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241413

The other thing G-12 antifreeze does is leave behind a tell-tale pink foamy crystalline stuff. If you can't find that, be looking for a pressurized overflow reservoir.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I'd remove the belly pan and let it sit and see what happens. That's going to be the best way to determine where it's coming from. Your logic is quite sound, you're on the right track.

ferrarispider95

I didn't have a chance to remove belly pan, raining tonight. I was able to shine a light around the front and most of the side of the engine and I could not see any pink coolant or any crystilization.

I did put some distilled water in and after turning the engine on, it did turn pink in the expansion tank, so it defintely is circulating.

I double checked and see no evidence of coolant in oil, no oil in coolant, and no white smoke. Car runs normal.

It is going through coolant faily quick. I filled up to the max mark and after 15 min., it was below the min. mark.

I have read about the egr cooler leaking, but the recall says only for 2004-2005 jettas. Any more ideas?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
If it's eating coolant that fast with no leaking under the car, it's going in the motor or crankcase.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I'm not familiar with the 06s but if it is an auto or DSG you could have an oil cooler putting fluid into the tranny. I would check that fluid for correct level and milkiness.

ferrarispider95

Is there a dipstick for the DSG oil level?

I have to work today and than go visit my dad in the hospital after work. But, on Sunday I jack the car up and get the belly pan off and take a real good look.

I don't have a vw dealer in my town, nor a vw guru. I am about 1 hour away from either and I do have a truck, but no car trailer. We do have some reputable shops that I could take it to for a leak down test, but after that what do I do?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
coolant

ferrarispider95 said:
Is there a dipstick for the DSG oil level?

I have to work today and than go visit my dad in the hospital after work. But, on Sunday I jack the car up and get the belly pan off and take a real good look.

I don't have a vw dealer in my town, nor a vw guru. I am about 1 hour away from either and I do have a truck, but no car trailer. We do have some reputable shops that I could take it to for a leak down test, but after that what do I do?
No the DSG does not have a dipstick!
Take car to radiator shop and have them pressurize system. Leak could be anywhere.

Mach1

TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Pressure check the cooling system..I have seen several leaking from the heater hose by the EGR cooler...Have to take the belly pan off and pressurize the system..

Which part of the country?

ferrarispider95

Ok, defintely just a leak. I was able to get under the car enough today from behind the wheel. I tilted the belly pan down and I could see coolant leak out from the middle.

I think I am going to take it to someone local, just so they can put it on a lift and at least diagnose the leak. I have a floor jack, but not jack stands and I am not 100% sure my floor jack has enough clearance to get under it.

Anyways from searching the forum, I know I will need to eventually flush the cooling system and put in g12. I have been using distilled water, lack of g12 in town, and I know I probably dilluted the system enough that it would not be good for really cold weather.

Hopefully, just a small line leaking as opposed to the water pump, I do know that I need to start taking a look at a tbelt change pretty soon. Got of lot bills to pay the next couple months, so hopefully I can wait until I get closer to 90k.

ferrarispider95

I am in Emporia KS, which there is a tdi guru in wichita, about 1 hour 15 min. away and vw dealer in topeka, which is about 45 min. away.

I just don't have a car trailer, so hopefully my mechanic can pinpoint the leak and than I will decide what to do. If it is the water pump, I will rent a trailer and get it to a tdi guru.

Mach1

TDI
EGR cooler and hoses are a common leak problem, they are 3/4" heater hose.

ferrarispider95

Mechanic found the leak by the turbo??? He said there is a coolant hose by the turbo that was frayed???

I don't mean to sound like a idiot, but where is the turbo on the engine??? I know it runs of the exhaust and the exhaust manifold is in back. So I am guessing it is on the same side as the firewall.

Also thanks for all the prior helped.

ferrarispider95

ok found a photo, yes turbo is on the back, if you consider the front being radiator.

Anyways, does anyone know the exact coolant line he is talking about.

Mach1

TDI
Yes, see post #17..EGR cooler and 3/4" hose..common leak area and problem..you can fix it for pennies on the dollar..

The EGR cooler almost touches the turbo...

I also stated in #14, and mentioned to get you to look at it, cause it was easy...

Last edited:

nocebl

TDI
2004 GOLF TDI
Mach1 said:
Yes, see post #17..EGR cooler and 3/4" hose..common leak area and problem..you can fix it for pennies on the dollar..

The EGR cooler almost touches the turbo...

I also stated in #14, and mentioned to get you to look at it, cause it was easy...
we will never have a shortage of ignorant people...
You try to help and they are not listening...:mad:

Mach1

TDI
I tried and I was even nice about it...I thought...:)

ferrarispider95

Thanks Mach1

I never looked off anyone's advice, but once I determined it was most likely at the back off the engine by the firewall, I knew I was not going to be able to fix it.

I have no jack stands, only a small floor jack.