ProfBrown's 2015 GSW TDI Build

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Purchased a 2015 GSW TDI with the DSG trans this past Thursday. Loving my new-to-me grandpa wagon!! Already put just shy of 200 miles on her as of the Saturday morning following the purchase. Needless to say I love this car and do not regret trading in my previous daily driver one bit. This is my first modern VW, my first personal diesel, and my first turbo car of any kind so this will be the build (or more or less the maintenance log with some slight mods) of the car that is now my daily! Plan is to make a sort of storm trooper looking wagon without going crazy and blowing the bank or messing with how the car already performs, as I am actually quite impressed with this car out of the box!
Plans:
  • Window tint (limo on all the back, 30% on the front sides, undecided if I want to do a limo strip on the front windshield)
  • Black wheels of some sort. Planning on keeping this car with no body mods, so I'll stay with stock wheel and tire size (225/45/17) just go black on the wheels to play off of the white paint. Recommendations are welcome for style and brand!
  • Maybe mudflaps? I live down 3 miles of dirt road and when it rains it can get muddy so we will see on this one...
  • Maybe black out the badges with plasti-dip or other material to add to the contrast of the white and black?
I will post more pics as I keep the car longer with the places I go. Few pictures so far as I have been busy driving it or spending the time with my lady before school kicks back up for the semester.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I guess I should also ask what is the recommended oil change window, it was done right before I bought the car, but I am used to on my truck doing it every 5k or so... Seeing what looks like some people going 10k? Is there a preferred oil/ oil filter to use? On the truck I just ran high mileage Mobil 1 and their filter and it was plenty happy. I know the trans is at every 40K so I will be doing it myself at 80k or so, maybe a bit earlier. The only record I have of the trans work being done was at 56k miles when the dealer I bought it from took it into their stock. Shifts flawlessly though, so I am not worried.

Side note, I had noticed the passenger side tail light has some condensation in it... Might have to use the warranty on it lol. Is condensation in taillights common with these cars? I know some trucks suffer from it! Never had a car with a warranty before!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Oil is 10K with 507 spec.
I use idparts: https://www.idparts.com/scheduled-maintenance-service-kits-c-175.html

Unless you have documentation the DSG service was done at 40K, I'd do it now. I did mine since my car was at 65K and I was either 15K too late or 15K too early and I knew which way I wanted to error since that's one item not covered under the extended warranty.

Depending on which part of California you're in, from one Prof. B to another Prof. B, I have a bunch of tools you could use to DIY all of what you need to do.
I'm actually going to put a big order in for my ALH and my 2015 services in a day or two.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I have documentation saying the fluids were done at 56k miles at the dealer I bought it from. So it is at least partially fresh. Also has a really amazing 2 year unlimited mine warranty since it’s a CPO TDI! Would you still be worried about the trans fluid/filter with it being done less than 400 miles ago?

Anyone know the part number for the MDI to lightning cable? In case I ever end up using it? Who even has a 30pin iPhone anymore? Lol.

Edit: I have 5w-30 left over from my truck, but it is the High Mileage formulation. Ill need to check to see if that specific oil is 507 spec. If not I have no plans on using it trust me... Also from the link you sent me, this seems to be the exact kit I will need, but I wanted to double check as the link you sent put me in a list viewer not an exact kit. From what I hear the oil filter is in a stupid location on these cars and there is a tool to make it less messy, is that recommended?
https://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil....html?osCsid=3b6ef70e760d038c9b798678771ac63d

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh good. I wasn't sure if that was the transmission work you were referring to. Yeah, those CPOs are fantastic with their unlimited warranty. I ended up not going that direction because of the price I paid for my '15.

I'm a bit further south and east from you, but I can drive that way soon. I've got an IDparts oil extractor and a wired VCDS that I could drop off. If I haven't sold the VCDS by then you can borrow it and make whatever changes you need. I'll possibly be going to North County on the 25th/26th to pick up a bug, but I'm definitely going to LA during Chinese New Year (first week of Feb) and could pick everything back up on the way back down.

When I had my 2012, it was sold from Mossy and taken back home to Murrieta and serviced there until I bought it so I continued to let them service it. They used to have some special where they charged me around $65 bucks for oil changes if I'm not mistaken...but it might have been $85. Whatever it was, it was worth it to me not to have to worry about anything but we stopped going with the '15 because it doesn't have the same paper trail and my wife and I stopped making the SD to LA trip frequently enough to stop off there. Anyway, I think the people at Murrieta are a good group of people from my experience and I don't say that lightly when it comes to VW dealerships :)

Let me know if you need anything. I'm not looking forward to Tuesday, that's for sure. I've been on reduced load for the past semester for family leave :p I'm just kinda hanging out on the boards today delaying the inevitable...

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Lol sounds good! I actually bought this from VW of Murrieta on Thursday! I don’t remember if I said that.

And the VCDS tool is used for the trans filter and fluid changes yes? That is what I am commonly hearing about. Like I said this is my first modern VW, and my first personal diesel at that so I am new to these acronyms and short hand stuff lol. Start talking Chevy and I am game on lol.

Yeah I go to CSUSM so I will be in North County twice a week on Monday/Wednesday’s for class. Other than that pretty much just am in Temecula for work or play.

Very nice of you to extend the helping hand and offering to let me barrow the tools. I am unsure what you mean by changes with the VCDS tool honestly. And with the maintenance they did at the CPO testing and the lists I got, it looks like all fluids, cabin air, AdBlue filled, tires new, 4 wheel alignment, wiper blades and all were replaced I don’t see a need for any maintenance for a few thousand miles unless there is something I have missed... The passenger twilight assembly was swapped, but it seems my luck the new one has a leak somewhere and the lense is getting some condensation in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, you sound like you're good to go on the service for now.

You can do some cool mods with a VCDS. I have my gauge needles sweep and windows roll up/down with my remote control. Search for VCDS tweaks MK7 and you'll find a long list over on the vortex (google that if you don't know what it is).

SM is a fantastic campus! It used to be one of our satellites but has really grown...as has the entire North County area since the 70s! :)

I thought you were a fellow professor but it sounds like you're attending classes? Well the offer still stands to do some wrenching and tool sharing ;) I still have family in North County and am up there frequently.

I see you mentioned Murrieta in another thread. Good deal.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I will have to look up those tweak! Wonder if one of them is the needles stay red like when the car is off but accessory is on but like that all the time?

Anyways, sorry for the misleading lol, I am a student yes, the Prof part is a neighborly joke cause with certain topics I can be a know it all. I had been proven correct too many times for one neighbor to handle so they took to called me the Professor lol.

I didn’t say it before on any other threads, but I am 21 going on 22 in March so still a youngin!

Edit: I am an idiot lol, the needles are already red...

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot to mention that I have a brand new MDI to lighting cable that I don't use.
The part number is 000051446Q. You can have it for like $30 bucks.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I was looking over some of the tweaks, and not many seem like anything I would be interested in other than the needle sweep for the dash, most just seem like stuff for gasser cars and what not. Some stuff for brake lights... ever heard of any tweaks messing with warranties?

And thank you, but I might just buy a cheapie of amazon and make sure it works and just leave it in the glove box. Don’t plan on using it much if ever honestly. Not like the car has Apple CarPlay so as it is Bluetooth audio/calling/Waze direction read out is needed. Thanks though once again!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I used to buy those cheapie ones but back in 2012 they were made to look like the OE ones and the square was junk and would fall apart after a while. After a couple of those I finally bought an OE one...and then the buyback happened and I never used it lmfao.

The ebay ones look better built now, even better than the OE one, imo. The other problem was iOS updates would brick the cables because they weren't licensed lightning adapters. I don't know if that's been fixed.

Tweaks can't void warranties.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I had assumed unless the coding of the tweak caused the issue then your warranty would be intact but I thought I’d ask still. Still no tweaks I can see the need for. This car is nice out of the box and I have yet to have a complaint honestly.

And yeah Apple being stingy sure is bs. And I way it costs VW more than 20 bucks to make this adaptor yet they charge 65 for it. I’ll give the gamble on 9 bucks and if it’s no bueno I’ll reevaluate lol.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't waste your money on either one.

I just connect to BT and play Spotify. It's controllable via the steering wheel and the stereo face (and voice if you want to play around with it). There is a USB to MDI that will keep it charged while you use BT, but I don't use that anymore, either.

If I plug in to charge, I use a USB to lightening. I keep a dual USB 12v charger plugged into the center console with two Apple cables. I just leave my phone in my pocket or toss it in that cubby under the stereo (but I don't have to fiddle with a cable) and it connects to the head unit when I turn it on. If I ever need to charge it, it's right there and my wife does the same thing. You mentioned your gf traveling with you so you'll have to get a USB charger anyway or one day both phones will get low...might as well get the dual charger now and they probably have them at the dollar store.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Now that you bring you bring it up, I do have a double usb from cig lighter plug... and I have a short braided iPhone cable. Perfect man thanks for reminding me lol. I should really dig through the small stuff I pulled out of my truck and find a home for it in the new whip.

Side note, found some wheels like like, but they are 18 inches and too pricey for my my blood! Nuespeed RSE12. Saw them in gunmetal on a dark grey/black car on custom offset... if only they were in a 17 and not over 250 a wheel... dang near BBS pricing there.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Check out the Monte Titano MT6 Vita wheels. They are somewhat similar to the rse12's but only $150 each. I really dig the MT1 Piana's, but I'm a sucker for 5 spokes.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I too like those Monte Titano MT6 Vita wheels. Only issue is they don’t make them in a black!

Yes I have thought about doing something for the factory wheels, but 2 of them have a very slight curb rash, and while they are nice, they are not what I want on the car honestly. Even if they were black. I plan on holding onto then for a while since we have some space on our land out where I live.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Ok so I found what looks to be a rather well made much cheaper "knock off" style of the RSe12 wheels that I was talking about liking! As this is a daily, and not a track car, cheap yet reliable is the goal, and uber lightweight ins't a necessity. I really like the look of the RSe12s in the 17 inch size with +45mm offset, but I do not want to pay the premium for the name and the uber light weight wheel (only 19 lbs in the 17 inch rim for under $300! That is a deal for a sexy wheel like that!).

So I did some digging and I have found this! The Motegi MR118 in matte black of course (17x8), gotta stay with the storm trooper image I have in my brain! Cheap as hell by comparison at less than half of the RSe12. It has a +45mm offset so I can retain factory fitment/tire size, and weighs about 22 lbs with a load rating of 1580lbs according to their site, some pretty good numbers.

I would likely be going through Americas Tire as they seem to have the best price by about $20-30 a rim! And at that price maybe the wheels will happen sooner than 6 months lol. I'll sit on it a little to make sure they are the wheel of my choice but I am really liking the style and price point!
https://www.americastire.com/buy-wheels/motegi-racing-mr118/p/20191

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't underestimate the value of lighter wheels even in daily driving. One of the worst MPG offenders is unsprung weight (like wheels and tires). Cheap aftermarket wheels owe their affordability to the materials used and that's also something to consider when you're driving on bumpy, dirt roads. If you like RSe12s, there is a red set for $600 in that group you joined.

Unless the guys at AT are going to do it for free, you're looking at nearly $100 bucks to R&R tires from four wheels onto four new wheels. The vinyl option I mentioned is $30 bucks for enough material to do all 4 wheels. Even if the style of your wheels are bugging you, that'll get you through to your next set tires (and your manager buddy at AT can probably swing you a better package deal or keep his eyes out for a used set).

If you haven't poked around on the site I mentioned earlier, VWVortex has a section specifically for SoCal and a section specifically for 5x112 wheels.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I will defiantly look more into that for sure. Seems 22 is still on the lighter side and with that load rating they should be strong enough from some quick reading of guys talking about it in NJ. Gone are the days of me bombing the dirt road i live down. Now it’s 25-30 at most. I will keep digging for sure but you bring up a good point about a package deal on wheels and tires. When I got my tires and wheels on my truck the first go around I got almost $400 in rebate cards a month or so later... probably best to wait and maybe see if they can get the RSe 12 wheels too. The higher the amount purchase the more rebates so there is some gain to the idea of going with a more expensive wheel/tire package to a point.

Which brings me to my next question, tire recommendations for the eventual need of tires? I like to be prepped with a choice so I don’t binge on reading before I make the decision if that makes sense.

Also talked to a buddy about wrapping the badges and wheels on my car. He likes to do it for free I just pay him for the materials. At the least I want the badges done, but with maybe putting off the wheel purchase, wrapping the wheels and covering the slight curb rash from the previous owner would be best as recommended!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
hey, now! I'm just making suggestions, no reason to get defiant ;)

The absolute best wheels I have used on my VWs have been Yokohamas. On my BMWs I used to run Falkens because they were good for the money and it didn't matter what we put on they were toast after a season (kinda like skateboarding; didn't matter what shoes we bought they were all going to fall apart quickly anyway so might as well just get the cheapest and run them until they literally fell apart).

The ones on my bug are Avids. The last time I replaced them the tread still looked new but they were cracked from sun damage and were about a decade old. I had them replaced under warranty and 50K later the tread still looks new. I keep them at 50psi. I'll have to replace them due to age before anything else.

They don't make them in 18s so I asked the manager at AT what he thought and he suggested Advan Sport A/S for the wagon. I haven't noticed any wear in 15K miles. Ride/grip has been great and road noise is minimal. I think recommended pressure is 38 but I keep mine at 44psi.

The only thing I can tell you about tires other than my experience is what I remember from my dad telling me decades ago when I watched him lay a ridiculous amount of cash (to my young eyes at the time) on the counter for two tires (for his Harley): "these are the only things between my butt and the ground."

BTW, when I talk about unsprung weight, the last time I dug around it seemed like the theory was 4lbs for every 1lb unsprung so a 4lb wheel and tire difference would be about 16-20lbs per corner. That said, the OE wheels are heavy.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
This is true and that is why I like to do my research earlier. ATs website is pushing a Continental tire that is a sport all season with a 45k warranty for about 133 a tire. Tread patch looks good but it all depends on how the Nexens wear and live in this car I guess. If I get good life and minimal if at all noise out of the current tires I have I’d be more than happy to look into another set if they aren’t to expensive. One set of the Nexen tires only showed a 25k warranty so I hope I didn’t get stuck with those lol.

Here is a pic of one of the wheels with a tad bit of curb rash. The marks on the spoke seem superficial. Can barely feel it. The ones on the outer edge are more jagged ish.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Also correct me if I am wrong, but the idparts site has service kits listed for oil change (10k), 20k service kit, and 40k service. As I am approaching the 60k mark if I was an original owner I would jump on the 20k service kit correct? So the order should be oil change>20k>oil change>40k then start over? Just making sure I understand. If this is true it keeps the services at a nice round number and easy to plan for without getting lost in the mix of life lol.

If that is true, I will probably jump on that service schedule just for ease of memory honestly. So in about 4K mike I will probably order the 20k service kit.

Looking over the dealer logs when I got the car, I can’t find a note about a fuel filter change at that 55,900 mile mark when they got it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
The Advans are about $100 per tire in 17s. I wouldn't do anything with those Nexens other than run them until they're done (rotating every 5K). They used to be Korean budget tires, I don't know what they are now. Hyundai used to be a running joke akin to riding in a tin can but now they're leading the industry in customer satisfaction, safety, and warranty so things change.

My wagon came with Chinese no-names (or crazy name however you define it). They were new but I took them off and gave them to AT for whatever the manager was wiling to give me for them (not much, it was a favor).

I'm not a fan of Conti tires due to cost vs. performance. That's not to say higher performance tires aren't worth paying for if they're in your budget, but I don't think Conti lands the sweet spot for me often. I do tend to err on the side of mileage rather than performance, though, my vehicles are freeway fliers not track rats. Been there, done that; still enjoy it but not in my family cars or on city streets.

Regardless, you have a friend in the shop. Lean on him rather than their website or promos. He sees thousands more than you or I will ever see.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Also correct me if I am wrong, but the idparts site has service kits listed for oil change (10k), 20k service kit, and 40k service. As I am approaching the 60k mark if I was an original owner I would jump on the 20k service kit correct? So the order should be oil change>20k>oil change>40k then start over? Just making sure I understand. If this is true it keeps the services at a nice round number and easy to plan for without getting lost in the mix of life lol.

If that is true, I will probably jump on that service schedule just for ease of memory honestly. So in about 4K mike I will probably order the 20k service kit.

Looking over the dealer logs when I got the car, I can’t find a note about a fuel filter change at that 55,900 mile mark when they got it.

You have the service intervals correct. If you have documentation that your DSG was serviced correctly at 40K, then you are due for the 20K service kit.

Search the forums for how to do those services and decide whether you want to do them yourself. There are threads on how to do them with and without VCDS so you can make an informed decision on whether you want to invest in a diagnostic cable from Ross-Tech. Changing a fuel filter by the book, for example, requires the cable.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
That is my plan for tires honestly. Get a recommendation from them. They did well by recommending the cheap tires my girl has on her car now so I trust them. Plus I know my guy won’t screw me. Also found another wheel I like. TSW Nurburgring (17x8 +42mm) Even lighter than the Duespeed RSe12 which is 19 lbs at 18 lbs for the TSW. Just looking for now but there are a few choices I am liking! And the TSW is cheaper by about 40 bucks a week compared to the RSe12 as well. Still more than I would ideally want to spend lol.

Edit: The TSW wheel is listed on their site as a matte gunmetal but looks more like a matte black in their picture. Kinda odd but when I’m ready I’ll need to dig more on that. And also has a load rating of about 1350 which is far lower than others. Would possibly be worried about strength?

Dang that is news to me.. little bit of a suckish thing but I known I’ll save untold hundreds doing it myself than laying someone else to do it, so that already saves me the cost of the cable after 1 or 2 service periods...

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I can totally see why you want to replace the existing wheels. I wouldn't waste my time wrapping or dipping those. Maybe those treatments hold up better out there, but the ones I've seen around here start looking pretty ratty within a year or so.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah I know plastidip doesn’t look all that good, but the vinyl I would just pay my friend for material. Worse case I pull the vinyl off, and that’s easier than the plastidip. Waiting for my buddy to let me know the cost of materials before I make a decision.

Just got quoted for $259 for the tint from one of the many companies local. Looks kinda low at first glance, so we’ll see what the other quotes are.

Also looked up the tires the dealer out on. They are Nexen N5000 Plus tires. On Nexen’s website shows a 65k treadwear warranty and is actually related as one of their better tires for comfort and quiet road noise if any. If they live their 65k life, stay quiet, and grippy enough, I don’t see a reason to not get them again Especially at the price they are at for about $100 a tire.