Noisy Top End

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
So here is the story. I did an oil change on my car, while I was in there I replaced the vvt valve because I also suffered from extended crank time. Once the valve was out of the cam, the cam phaser pulled off of the cam. I put the phaser back on the cam and tightened the valve. Now that its back together the top end sounds extra noisy. I didnt see any timing marks for reassembly. Anybody have any experience or advise? Thanks.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The erWin manual says to lock both the cam sprocket (under the top timing belt cover) and the "intake" cam (through the access plug in the cam cover) at TDC before removing the adjuster.

Also this: Between the camshaft adjuster and camshaft stub there is a diamond disc installed for connection security. Before installing it must be checked that this diamond disk is in the camshaft position. Otherwise the camshaft adjuster can become loose during engine running and damage the engine

I've never been into the cam adjuster so can't say with any experience other than what's in the manual.

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
Thank you, but I'm working on the other end of the cam. I did lock the intake cam with the tool though the cam cover.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Just giving you what the manual says to do even though it's the other side. I understand that as well. After reading the manual again, that looks to be a lock for the sprocket itself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: