VCDS Port Test - CAN Not Ready

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I'm trying to help a friend in Arkansas, 2004 Jetta TDI

See this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=398332

I shipped my genuine VCDS cable to him, and tried to assist over the phone tonight. He has the latest VCDS software, and running Windows 8.

When he does the port test, K1 OK, K2 OK, CAN Not Ready

Went ahead and selected his vehicle, and tried to scan for codes with auto function, and return message is: Function not supported by gateway.

So any ideas with what's going on with the VCDS and this car?

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Not a CAN bus car perhaps?
Correct, a 2004 (Mk4) Jetta is not a CAN bus car. The error message about "K1 OK, K2 OK, CAN Not Ready" is correct and normal. When doing the autoscan he cannot do the "auto detect" because that only works on CAN bus (2005.5+) Jettas. He has to open the drop down box and choose his car/engine (a Jetta with an ALH engine) before he starts the autoscan. If this is what he did, I'm not sure what is wrong. One thing to try would be to try accessing individual controllers one at a time instead of an autoscan. You might learn something.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
UPDATE

I assumed it was a North American Jetta and had him use 9M-Jetta IV as the chassis type from the drop down box.

I just ran his VIN number, it was built in Wolfsburg, Germany.

So the correct chassis type is 1J - VW Golf/Bora IV

Now able to scan.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

wmgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
I just got done using my VAG Scanner (official) for the first time. It was driving me nuts, it would test the USB port and connect one time and then lose the connection. Nothing in the instructions state that the green LED should be flashing to Red and back when its communicating correctly. But after I firmly pushed the connection into the car plug it started doing the flashing on and off, worked fine afterward.
Got the IQ adjusted and then changed the door locks to manual and then to unlock the car when the key is removed....Yeah!!!
The IQ was at 1.2 adjusted to 2.2 and my stuttering (sp) on slow down to idle went away.