Demand for new england tdi's?

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Demand for new england tdi\'s?

which are the states where you cannot register a new tdi at the moment? and what is the demand for very low milage tdi's in those places do you think?
reason I ask is I might get a new one and sell my 03

cage

Top Post Dawg

Don't know but one of our smart TDI people should start a business. Take orders for TDI's in those states, buy the car in their state, break it in properly for the customer, then "sell" it to them.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

the demand is strong....not just in NE.

CARB states => CA, MA, ME, VT, NY...with more to be added to the list.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

hmmmm.... I guess there is a minimum milage that a "used" car must have before you can register it... wonder if it varies from state to state?
Will have to see if i can find what sort of price a low milage tdi can carry... if it was not far from the cost of a new one I would give it a thought.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue

In CA it's 7,500 miles. That's suppose to be the mileage when it is purchased by the CaResident.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

well, no issues in NH. It must have 7500+ miles for MA.

mainer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta | 10 JSW

one of my friends told me that there was never a problem with registering them in maine just the stealer wasn't aloud to sell them to you....so you would just have to go to New Hamishire and buy it then bring it over the line......not sure how much truth is in this but it is needs to be checked..

Wee_Car

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Black

Mainer,

I did check, although my info is not "complete" and may be subject to change. According to my town clerk, the DMV software they use can identify the vehicle characteristics for tax purposes but will not kick out the vehicle as unregisterable. She told me that as far as she was concerned, she would register any vehicle until instructed otherwise or until the software refused the registration. She went on to say that she could not assure me that DMV HQ in Augusta would not kick out a registration suspension when they went to record the registration in the central database.

My suspicion is that the programmers have not yet caught up with the legal changes and perhaps they won't. I chose not to gamble and bought an '03 instead. My mom is a PA resident so she bought in MD and registered in PA even though the car sleeps in Maine.

How did we get to be a CARB state anyhow. I follow a lot of legislation and I plain missed that one. Unfair that we have to pay for Ohio, Indiana and Illinois sh*t that they won't clean up> Worse, they aren't even CARB themselves!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

keep in mind, the cars will have a 45 state sticker which could be an obstacle to registration

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE

It shouldn't be an issue if it is a "used car" (over 7500 miles). However, I'd check on that to be sure before plunking your money down..

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

hmmmm.... I guess there is a minimum milage that a "used" car must have before you can register it... wonder if it varies from state to state?
7500 miles in ALL of the CARB states.

Any state that follows CARB standards is required to follow ALL of CARB's standards 100%. States following CARB standards cannot make any exceptions or exemptions at all. It's already been tried in Maine last year where TDIs made local (Maine) headlines over this issue. (Bill "BIO BUG", are you reading this? Any updates?)

This includes registration denial for non-CARB-compliant new vehicles with less than 7500 miles on it. So in the 4 other states following CARB standards, plus more states to follow in the future
, it's 7500 miles just like CA.

Those of us that live in non-CARB states are not immune to the effects of CARB. I live in NH and I'm surrounded by CARB states. I'm worried that NH may someday join the CARB bandwagon.

I hate CARB.
They are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

~ n1das

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

as a NH resident I have the same fear........
guess I should buy a spare!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

as a NH resident I have the same fear........
guess I should buy a spare!
This is exactly my long-term plan, now that I just recently paid off my 02 Golf TDI.

When finances permit, which won't be for a while, I'll be in the market for my second TDI. I'm into my 02 Golf TDI and holding onto it for the long haul. I'm probably right up there with K5ING (Jeff in Texas) for the rate that I'm logging miles. I'm currently at 128k miles now on my 2 1/2 year old TDI!

Definitely think about getting a spare TDI while you can!

~ n1das

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

back to Tulley for a shiny new one!
wonder what I could get for my '03 Jetta wagon with 29000K
in mint condition>????

DrStink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL - Platinum Grey

How did we get to be a CARB state anyhow. I follow a lot of legislation and I plain missed that one. Unfair that we have to pay for Ohio, Indiana and Illinois sh*t that they won't clean up> Worse, they aren't even CARB themselves!
That's what NY AG Eliot Spitzer is for. He sues companies into compliance when the EPA won't enforce the Clean Air Act.

Wee_Car

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Black

45 state sticker? What is that? As far as I know, it isn't part of Maine's registration process--yet.

Bottom line at the moment is -- you can register an '04 + in Maine at this point. How long that will be is open to question. If they yank your registration at some future point (unlikely) you will probably have 7500 miles on the car. But, I don't think it is worth the headache and heartburn to test the system. Sooner or later, the municipal registration software programs will refuse to accept VIN numbers of new TDI vehicles.

I see a real business oportunity for those living in non-carb states. Drive a new TDI for 7500 miles at no cost, get paid for it and transfer it to a CARB state resident. Repeat process ad infinitum. Never have to buy a new car. No maintenance ever. Such a deal!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

I see a real business oportunity for those living in non-carb states. Drive a new TDI for 7500 miles at no cost, get paid for it and transfer it to a CARB state resident. Repeat process ad infinitum. Never have to buy a new car. No maintenance ever. Such a deal!
We went through this discussion last March or April.

The problem is, you pay sales tax when you buy a new TDI. You sell it, and the next owner has to pay sales tax again. So there's about $1000 that could be your profit or the next owner's savings, that goes into the coffers of the state. It pretty much ruins the financial incentives.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen

On top of that (for those that do bring their cars to the dealer for warranty work) the car will now be on it's second owner.