Monsoon Radios=Worth the trouble?

davenkay

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg. 2
Going to order a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. After reading all of the problems with the Monsoon, are they worth the trouble? Or what really is the trouble? What is the difference in the Monsoon and the stock radio?

JeffJ

We have the Monsoon in our new 2002, and overall I would not recommend it. The sound is really not that impressive.

However, sound aside, probably the biggest issue is that the Monsoon is a double DIN (larger face) radio, so it sits higher in the dash. The downside of this is that with the cup holder our, you can't access the volume knob, CD slot, or see the tuner indicator. This is really annoying.

JeffJ

Monsoon isn't worth it! The sound is not that impressive, and the cup holder blocks all the controls on the unit that you really want (cd slot, volume, station indicator).

godlike242

Veteran Member
i'm happy with mine, but i understand that the 2002 doble-din decks have some wiring issue where the speakers are out of phase so they sound muffled.

Dmorocco

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon GLS, Silver
I have the monsoon and had the wiring ploblems, once fixed I've been impressed with the overall sound. True you can get a better aftermarket system, but for a stock system I think It's a good buy

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Having the cupholder blocking the volume knob isn't a big deal because you can change the volume (and station or CD track) on the steering wheel.

We did have to do the wire swap to get it to sound right, but otherwise it is a decent setup. If given the choice I might skip it and buy a better aftermarket system. In our case it was the lowest item on our list of desired features, so when it came with the car we paid the money for it.

alex

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
I had the monsoon (really it is just an amp, NOT upgraded speakers, just to clear that up) in my 2001 sedan (single din) and now just got it in my 2002 wagon...I did have the wiring mixup, but fixed it (HUGE, let me say, HUGE improvement once fix was done). Yes, the double din is large and takes up two spaces, and yes the cup holders are in the way. You will only have volume control on the steering wheel if you get the leather package...

Overall, I like the stock look on a radio and I am very happy with the sound (once the fix was made, which was very easy). However, my brother now owns my 2001 sedan and put in an aftermarket radio, KEPT the monsoon (because it is just an amp) and didn't have to upgrade ANY speakers at all and it sounds amazing... So, the monsoon is JUST the amp, for $325 or whatever it lists for on the sticker these days.

[ July 02, 2002, 20:40: Message edited by: days-like-this ]

CountryBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-Speed
Will XM radio hook up to the double din head units? I've got a 2002 Jetta.

[ July 03, 2002, 14:25: Message edited by: CountryBoy ]

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Originally posted by days-like-this:
I had the monsoon (really it is just an amp, NOT upgraded speakers, just to clear that up)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean amp and head unit, because the HU is definitely different("better").

also, how do you know that the speakers are the same? I have heard both ways and seen no real proof of either.

I found my Monsoon (01 Golf GLS) to be lacking until I upgraded the head unit, but I never listened to anything but radio. Others have said it sounds better with a changer.

[ July 03, 2002, 22:28: Message edited by: tadc ]

nuke

Veteran Member
My 01's Monsoon is not bad really. The CD's sound a lot better than the radio. I think the reception is hampered by the tiny little antenna. Doesn't matter if there's an amplifier in it - you can't amplify a signal that isn't there in the first place.

My iPod + cassette adpator is a neat trick though. 88 CD's on tap and it fits in the ashtray just about perfect.

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
there was an exhaustive discussion on vwvortex.com...you can check out numerous threads where people were trying to discover if the monsoon was more than an amp, etc.

I agree about the cd's sounding better than the radio...although my radio reception was absolutely HORRIBLE until I did the monsoon fix on my 2002, then it seemed more like other cars.

ECOJetta

TDI
djrusty0
Our family has 2 VW's in it. A 2000 Passat Gasser with the Premium Sound, and a 1999 Golf MKIV without the premium sound. The main difference I can tell is low frequency handling capability. In the Passat there is WAY more bass, and WAY less distortion with it at high volumes. In the golf, the bass is still good, but not as incredible as it is in the Passat. I'd go with the Monsoon if you listen to Rap, Techno, or other kinds of music where low frequencies are important. Otherwise, stick with the stock sound, it's good enough for Rock, and most other stuff.