Wet Tail Pipe Soot ?

Vanigh

TDI
JETTA TDI 2010 Navy Blue 6 Speed Manual
Hello.

Today before washing my new 01 Jetta i noticed tiny black spots on the rear bumper & back of the trunk door (area around the license plate) i traced it to the tail pipe, inside the tail pipe is black wet (black ink like) coating, i did not wash my car for the last 5 days & did not drive in rain either, this is my first diesel engine car, & iv'e never noticed anything like this with my previous gas engine cars, i would like to know if this is normal with Diesel cars i thought the soot in the tail pipe should be dry powdery like, Dealer says it would go away if i drive around for a while, did any members of this forum experienced anything like this???
Regards

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Don't worry, it'll all come out in the wash!

Seriously, existing moisture in the exhaust system or water from the carwash entering the tailpipe is what's probably wetting down the soot, which as you suspected should be a dry powder.

-Steve

P.S. You should be thankful that Ric didn't visit you while on vacation and actually put white gloves on to check your new ride's tailpipe, like he did at the 2000 TDI Fest last year!

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Turbo Steve ]

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Taking short trips?

Water is produced in the catalytic converter and drains out the tail pipe if it doesn't evaporate first.